560Dennis

106 Cub Cadet generator starter tips

Was running the new to me 106 I noticed I discharge starting but not charge after it started. I don’t have time this trip to do any problems solving . 
Any tips on these to trouble shoot . It starts slow that may be normal I haven’t had one for years . 

Works just like any other generator after it is done being a starter.  Pretty simple system. On those old Cubs, a lot of time it's the 50 year old wiring.

I've had far far more voltage regulator problems on those older Cubbies with starter/generators.  For years about every 2 years the VR on my #72 would stop charging the battery.  Guess it didn't like being mounted way up high on the grill above the engine and exhaust where the VR seemed to be 6 inches square due to vibration and operate at 150 degrees.  Then I noticed my 129 with the VR way back under the seat attached to the right side frame rail lasted FOREVER. So about 1995 I moved the VR on the 72 way back above the transmission but under the frame. No modifications to the wiring required at all, didn't even unhook any connections, just disconnected the battery. So that's 25 years on ONE VR, not 2 yrs as before.  Put the VR on the 70 in the same spot.

I tried adjusting the voltage regulators with no success, even "cook-booked" it with instructions off Simple Tractor website.

I actually find the starter generators to be really reliable.

I cleaned contacts on the two coil voltage regulator. Started it and was charging . So I looked at it again at about 10 minutes later and it was down to zero on the meter. (Not Discharging ) .

Ran out of time , have to look at it next time I go back to Fort Leavenworth 

5 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Works just like any other generator after it is done being a starter.  Pretty simple system. On those old Cubs, a lot of time it's the 50 year old wiring.

Good point, the old ground cable on battery looked frayed an small amount of copper corrosion.