Vents in the hood of a 8950

Yup, should be red. 

Interesting story behind the hood vents. 7100 series didn’t have them, nor did early 7200 series. 7200 series ran into a problem with HFC-134a refrigerant...guys would shut the tractor off for dinner, then come back later to find the AC didn’t work on their tractor. This was due to the engine heat not being able to escape under the hood, causing the AC high-pressure switch to trip after the operator came back from dinner. So...they put those hood vents on to allow heat to escape under the hood when everything was hot...not so much to let more air in anywhere. Late 7200s had one vent in the top, 8900s should have 2. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, SDman said:

guys would shut the tractor off for dinner, then come back later to find the AC didn’t work on their tractor.

There are guys who shut the tractor off to eat dinner?  I've not been on a farm yet where we didn't leave them running while we ate, lol.  Even back in cabless days we didn't shut them off.  But we stopped maybe 20 minutes if we ate slow and it was a hot meal.  😁

On 2/15/2020 at 9:05 AM, J-Mech said:

There are guys who shut the tractor off to eat dinner?  I've not been on a farm yet where we didn't leave them running while we ate, lol.  Even back in cabless days we didn't shut them off.  But we stopped maybe 20 minutes if we ate slow and it was a hot meal.  😁

We dont stop period. Eat while driving. Some of the trickier meals I'll hold the clutch in on end rows or while my dingy is out.

Not to put others down, grandpa always said to get out and let someone else run while you ate... fat chance, you wouldn't get back in the saddle the rest of the day! 

So, more out of "competition" than anything, I enjoy eating! Not having to wood it down.

• Like 1

Vents are red in real life.  I never knock another guy on the way he does stuff.  With auto steer it’s no big deal to just keep working while you eat. I did use to stop and sit on the end and eat.

• Like 1

Wow....i always figured black.  Ours are black.  Heck when I pulled the hood to fix the siezed hinge mech I touched em up black.  Never noticed the brochure pics.  I like the black frankly.  On 71-7250 aint the side gills black?