Ih78

There is a 856 close by that I have asked about several times and the owner has never been interested in letting it go. This morning I seen the guy at the feed store and he is ready to sale the 856 and wants me to think about it and make an offer. He said the clutch is weak and it will not move in 1 & 2 gear. What would cause it not to move in 1&2 gear? What would be a fair offer for this? It is in the south and has been outside all its life.

Wow.  Cab and all.  Looks really straight!  A lot nicer than I was expecting.  If it runs, I'd say that helps it a lot.  I wouldn't be afraid to give $3000 for it.... but keep in mind anything that has sat that long is going to need more than you think.  I'd say if you get it for less than $3k you did real good.  $3-4,000 is probably what it's worth.  My opinion only. 

• Like 2

Nice looking unit, A little paint cleaner and a wax job she be looking pretty. When is the last time it ran? If it’s been a couple of years get it running first before an offer.

At 3-4K u wouldn’t get hurt 

11 minutes ago, WESnIL said:

Buy it as it sits.  Get it running and you just did some free mechanic work for the seller once he sees he has a running tractor to sell and you are not the only fish (buyer) in the ocean.

X2

3500-4 is a buy as long as the engine runs good

I made the mistake once of getting a non-running tractor running when I was buying it. We had already agreed on a price and I told him I didn't want to try loading it onto my trailer without it running because the loader would make things difficult. I tried to pay him before I started working on it and he was certain I wouldn't get it running, so he wanted me to wait until it was on my trailer to pay him. I had it running within 1-2 hours. Another potential customer showed up right as I had it running and he priced it to them  for more than we had already agreed upon, and bragged to the guy how good it ran. I think it is understandable that I got a little angry, the guy who showed up didn't know that we had already made a deal and I don't blame him, but the seller was being a crook and I told him what I thought and that he owed me for the work I had done, if he wasn't selling me the tractor for the price we had already upon. I ended up leaving there with the tractor for the agreed upon price, but I load them with a winch or another tractor now if they are non-running.

You dont want to make him mad right off the bat tho if he was thinking more than that. Might want to get him to set a rough price first and negotiate from there? 

On 2/8/2020 at 10:54 AM, Ih78 said:

There is a 856 close by that I have asked about several times and the owner has never been interested in letting it go. This morning I seen the guy at the feed store and he is ready to sale the 856 and wants me to think about it and make an offer. He said the clutch is weak and it will not move in 1 & 2 gear. What would cause it not to move in 1&2 gear? What would be a fair offer for this? It is in the south and has been outside all its life.

do you know the reason the guy parked the tractor to start?

I'd offer a little better than scrap price (respectfully) and see what he is thinking.  I hate pricing other people's stuff but it's hard to value something that isn't working right.  That said I wouldn't be afraid to go to the 4K mark others have said.   But he may think he's sitting on 10K too??   

On 2/9/2020 at 10:07 AM, international560 said:

I made the mistake once of getting a non-running tractor running when I was buying it. We had already agreed on a price and I told him I didn't want to try loading it onto my trailer without it running because the loader would make things difficult. I tried to pay him before I started working on it and he was certain I wouldn't get it running, so he wanted me to wait until it was on my trailer to pay him. I had it running within 1-2 hours. Another potential customer showed up right as I had it running and he priced it to them  for more than we had already agreed upon, and bragged to the guy how good it ran. I think it is understandable that I got a little angry, the guy who showed up didn't know that we had already made a deal and I don't blame him, but the seller was being a crook and I told him what I thought and that he owed me for the work I had done, if he wasn't selling me the tractor for the price we had already upon. I ended up leaving there with the tractor for the agreed upon price, but I load them with a winch or another tractor now if they are non-running.

Some folks are just really lucky that punching them in the nose is illegal.   

I'm not for violence in anyway shape nor form, but there's been a couple occasions with nonsense like you just told about that the thought crossed my mind! :)  :) 

The fenders look good from what can be scene. Fenders are always in better shape with a cab. Nobody bolts a radio or monitor outside the cab.

20 hours ago, Rusty_Farmer said:

nut on the speed counter shaft came off and shaft moved back out of the brg. hence the loss of 1&2.  center section split is in your future. No big deal ...$3k tractor.

The ones I've seen where the nut came off just lost 1st gear. The countershaft can't come far enough forward to come out of the bottom 2nd gear. It hits the bottom pto driven gear.  Assuming the top fork isn't broken as well.