Jump to content

Deluxe Cab Decibels


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know it gets louder once you put the cab on but I think alot of these cabs are worn with missing interior amd weatherstripping not sealing and what not,  I'm sure if the time was made they could be

The only time one of those out house cabs would quieter is when the 1466 was shut off. Don't tell me different I own one of each right now. 

I don’t think there were much better cabs until the soundguard cab in 1973.  The IH factory cabs weren’ Quiet, but offered protection from the weather.  Would keep you warm when it was cold and cool w

Posted Images

On 2/6/2020 at 3:00 PM, Rusty shackleford said:

Screenshot_20200206-145653_eBay.thumb.jpg.8ddb86502173f1d2ca71110b240c7e1b.jpgThis stuff you can put under the tin behind the dash, and everywhere else, it big time insulates sound and even heat, this on the floor and under hoods by cab would make the biggest difference, it dosnt alow as much heat in amd dampens the sound, I hear alot of dissing cabs but a cab is no different than an ice house, one that is sealed up nice and insulated will keep ya nice and comfy and the tents will never be as nice 

 

Rusty, and everyone else......  take a look at this stuff the next time you need sound deadening material.  We used it on the 4586 and had enough left over to do a pickup we are rebuilding this winter. (We bought a lot of it, at least 100sqft.)  MUCH cheaper than dynamat and is the exact same stuff.  

https://www.amazon.com/Fatmat-Self-Adhesive-RattleTrap-Deadener-Install/dp/B003TUNRGM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=rattle+trap&qid=1581127118&sr=8-1

 

The dynamat in the above pic is 32"X54" and is $55.11.  That is 12 ft^2.  The rattle trap I linked to is 50ft^2, and is $109.00.  WAY better deal! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

 

Rusty, and everyone else......  take a look at this stuff the next time you need sound deadening material.  We used it on the 4586 and had enough left over to do a pickup we are rebuilding this winter. (We bought a lot of it, at least 100sqft.)  MUCH cheaper than dynamat and is the exact same stuff.  

https://www.amazon.com/Fatmat-Self-Adhesive-RattleTrap-Deadener-Install/dp/B003TUNRGM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=rattle+trap&qid=1581127118&sr=8-1

 

The dynamat in the above pic is 32"X54" and is $55.11.  That is 12 ft^2.  The rattle trap I linked to is 50ft^2, and is $109.00.  WAY better deal! 

I just did a quick search, I used some cheaper stuff also on alot of my stuff, ya there are good deals just search 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

image.thumb.jpg.9b7de2136c7decd01c023a26ab93d652.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.eaaa6f366bc964007406d1f2db1c8125.jpgI'd we'd have gotten wet that day without the junk cabs.  And we were out there....because that was a "dry" day image.thumb.jpg.eaaa6f366bc964007406d1f2db1c8125.jpg

Well I don't know what to tell you. The damn one i ran was a loud SOB and everyone on our farm agreed on that account. Quite a few on this forum will agree with me on this account that those cabs were loud and awkward. I say huh a lot in public and people who talk softly so I don't take your huh jokes well.  I lost my a bunch of my hearing young and im not getting it back.

I have one question for you. Have you progressed past the 66 series? That may be part of it. We 986 at the same time and later a 7120 Magnum we still have. I knew there was better than that on the farm but i hardly ever got to touch it. It took my Grandpa completely bowing out of farming to get more time in the Magnum. Its like if a Amish person was suddenly allowed to drive. If you gave him a 1940 Studebaker he would think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread since his only other experience is behind a horse. There is better out there, they just haven't experienced it so they don't know any better.

If you're happy with them. Good for you. It doesn't change the fact that a lot of us had different experiences in them than you did. 

If i had a time machine i would go back and move the 86 series up to 1971. Never had a 66 series. 50, 30 series in 1975. Powershift 50s in the late 70s or early 80s. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Amazing how so many are to “manly” to wear $1 ear plugs.....

Didn't claim i was smart in my youth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The red deluxe cabs have a little different mount on the axle housing than the white cabs. I have some old red cabs and been wanting to re do one someday to put on my 14 with the white cab. Just wonder if it would be any quieter. Seems like you hear transmission/final drives the most.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 1568 at one time.  Crossing the field I could set the radio at a comfortable level, once I dropped the cultivator in the ground I could't tell if the radio was still on.  I always felt the 15 with a red cab was noisier than our 10 with a white cab but I blamed that on the V8 not the cab.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back when I was in high school I worked for a farmer who had a new at the time 966 with the custom (diamond) cab, and an also new at the time 1466 with the deluxe cab. The 1466 with deluxe cab seemed noticeably quieter inside than the 966 with custom cab. Maybe the turbo on the 1466 contributed some to it being quieter?  Both tractors had their factory mufflers in place. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Back when I was in high school I worked for a farmer who had a new at the time 966 with the custom (diamond) cab, and an also new at the time 1466 with the deluxe cab. The 1466 with deluxe cab seemed noticeably quieter inside than the 966 with custom cab. Maybe the turbo on the 1466 contributed some to it being quieter?  Both tractors had their factory mufflers in place. 

Didn't i read somewhere on here that 966s were just a loud running tractor in general? Cab or no cab.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The hinge/mount deal on a white junk cab doesn't effect the sound vs a red junk cab with the other mounts.  I wear ear plugs  in them too, sometimes.  I also replace window and door seals as needed, and buy floor mats, and gaskets for around the clutch and brake pedals.  

And automotive floor mats for the MX's.  

Reichow, my What jokes that weren't really  jokes, offended you? I'm sorry. I thought this was an old school red tractor forum, in a thread about red cabs actually. I like mine. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

The hinge/mount deal on a white junk cab doesn't effect the sound vs a red junk cab with the other mounts.  I wear ear plugs  in them too, sometimes.  I also replace window and door seals as needed, and buy floor mats, and gaskets for around the clutch and brake pedals.  

And automotive floor mats for the MX's.  

Reichow, my What jokes that weren't really  jokes, offended you? I'm sorry. I thought this was an old school red tractor forum, in a thread about red cabs actually. I like mine. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

What is that step on the 10 or 1466 on the left? 

My 1066 with a Year A Round cab is quieter inside than the 1066 I have with the red Deluxe cab.  But the Deluxe cab tractor has a noisier rear end and the cab foam is shot but in the process of being replaced. 

I thought these cabs were great until I got a 5288. They're still better than a heat houser in the winter!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

Reichow, my What jokes that weren't really  jokes, offended you? I'm sorry. I thought this was an old school red tractor forum, in a thread about red cabs actually. I like mine. 

I may have construed your repeated "whats" on your post as a type of mockery at those of us that had loud cabs on this series and suffered hearing loss from them.

When i posted on this subject, i had just come back from a early Valentine's Day dinner with my wife. I did it early because of her work schedule and im leaving for Louisville for a few days this coming week. Went to a popular restaurant. They had a live singer and the place was packed. Couldn't have a conversation with my wife because of her soft voice in that environment and the waitress we had had to talk right in my ear so i could hear her. Im fine in quieter settings but any type of noisy situation i might as well shut up and keep to myself because im going to be saying "What" a lot unless you are talking loud to me. Hence why I took it that way. Its either that or your doubting what me and others on here are saying. 

Was the Deluxe 66 series cab the sole blame of my hearing loss? No. But i know it had a strong hand in it. I know my ears rang after running it. 

Decides everyone has their opinion on cabs on here. Im a 86 and newer guy. A lot of guys on here think the 86 series was a POS. I don't. You like the Deluxe 66 cabs. I think they sucked and you couldn't give me a 66 series with a cab to me as a gift.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

I may have construed your repeated "whats" on your post as a type of mockery at those of us that had loud cabs on this series and suffered hearing loss from them.

When i posted on this subject, i had just come back from a early Valentine's Day dinner with my wife. I did it early because of her work schedule and im leaving for Louisville for a few days this coming week. Went to a popular restaurant. They had a live singer and the place was packed. Couldn't have a conversation with my wife because of her soft voice in that environment and the waitress we had had to talk right in my ear so i could hear her. Im fine in quieter settings but any type of noisy situation i might as well shut up and keep to myself because im going to be saying "What" a lot unless you are talking loud to me. Hence why I took it that way. Its either that or your doubting what me and others on here are saying. 

Was the Deluxe 66 series cab the sole blame of my hearing loss? No. But i know it had a strong hand in it. I know my ears rang after running it. 

Decides everyone has their opinion on cabs on here. Im a 86 and newer guy. A lot of guys on here think the 86 series was a POS. I don't. You like the Deluxe 66 cabs. I think they sucked and you couldn't give me a 66 series with a cab to me as a gift.

Exactly couldn’t afford and to stupid to by earplugs when young I am paying for it now. 66 series cabs and air compressor running almost constant killed my hearing

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 7, 2020 at 9:44 PM, 1967806 said:

The red deluxe cabs have a little different mount on the axle housing than the white cabs. I have some old red cabs and been wanting to re do one someday to put on my 14 with the white cab. Just wonder if it would be any quieter. Seems like you hear transmission/final drives the most.

Some time ago when we used 66s for main field tractors, we had a very early white cab 966, a red cab 1066, and a late black stripe 1066.  We had good foam, cowl covers, pedal boots, and some added insulation- and there was no appreciable difference inside any of them under load.  You just can't cure all of the stuff that comes into those cabs from the steering pedestal and the top of the transmission housing that you sit on, with no actual firewalls like what came along later.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We run 1066s and 1466s with mufflers.  Yes I know they are loud.   I have a neighbor, that like me, could very well run much Newer style tractors, but he -loves- open station 966's, with Straight pipes.  When we are working on opposite sides of the road and we throttle down on the headlands to turn, I can always here when he throttles up way more than what I hear my own machine doing.  I chuckle about it. But I don't go tell him his tractors are junk, because they are not, they are in top notch condition, and he likes them.  My father likes to blow snow with a newer tactor, says its blows better than a 1066.  I said yes, because your running it 300-500 rpms higher. And he says "what?"....and keeps on going. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dale560 said:

Exactly couldn’t afford and to stupid to by earplugs when young I am paying for it now. 66 series cabs and air compressor running almost constant killed my hearing

66 series cabs followed by filling upright silos did the majority of mine. At the time we filled 3. One of them with shelled high moisture corn ran through a corn blurr mill. Didn't have any PVC fill pipe.  All metal. Guess how loud it is running shell corn up a metal fill pipe. Then throw in a 786 having the snot ran out of it on a blurr mill with the roaring away and a drag line clanking away and you get the picture. Blowing silage is loud but nothing like that. The only difference is that once the wagon was empty it quieted down as you left to get another load and it was only a few days a year. Running the 1466 was constant for hrs and it went on for weeks on end a few times a year. That's why I give the 1466 more of the blame. 

Running chainsaw is a 3rd place but i really didn't run one til i was a junior or Senior in high school and by then we had ear muffs to wear when cutting wood.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reichow7120 said:

66 series cabs followed by filling upright silos did the majority of mine. At the time we filled 3. One of them with shelled high moisture corn ran through a corn blurr mill. Didn't have any PVC fill pipe.  All metal. Guess how loud it is running shell corn up a metal fill pipe. Then throw in a 786 having the snot ran out of it on a blurr mill with the roaring away and a drag line clanking away and you get the picture. Blowing silage is loud but nothing like that. The only difference is that once the wagon was empty it quieted down as you left to get another load and it was only a few days a year. Running the 1466 was constant for hrs and it went on for weeks on end a few times a year. That's why I give the 1466 more of the blame. 

Running chainsaw is a 3rd place but i really didn't run one til i was a junior or Senior in high school and by then we had ear muffs to wear when cutting wood.

I think a lot of my hearing damage came from shoveling ear corn into the hammermill Dad had. Every Saturday, never gave it a thought at the time. Man that thing was loud.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My hearing damage came from 120mm 80mm and 60mm motors, 50bmg , and a few IEDs,  ih tractor cabs are way better then them haha. I was wondering, would rubber between the axle mounts on the ih cabs and the axles help with the sound traveling up to the cab?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, Thesd5488 said:

66 series is one decibel louder then a 30 series Deere at full load I had a 4630 and a red cab 1466 the 1466 was quieter unless you were at 3000rpms

The Nebraska tests disagree.  75% of pull at max power for the 1973 1466 was 93.5 decibels.  The 4630 was 83 decibels.  That’s a huge difference.  And the 1486 was also 83 decibels.  The facts are the 66 cabs would have made good cabs for the 60s.  Unfortunately, IH pushed them a series to far.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, Thesd5488 said:

66 series is one decibel louder then a 30 series Deere at full load I had a 4630 and a red cab 1466 the 1466 was quieter unless you were at 3000rpms

The Nebraska tests disagree.  75% of pull at max power for the 1973 1466 was 93.5 decibels.  The 4630 was 83 decibels.  That’s a huge difference.  And the 1486 was also 83 decibels.  The facts are the 66 cabs would have made good cabs for the 60s.  Unfortunately, IH pushed them a series to far.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, Thesd5488 said:

66 series is one decibel louder then a 30 series Deere at full load I had a 4630 and a red cab 1466 the 1466 was quieter unless you were at 3000rpms

The Nebraska tests disagree.  75% of pull at max power for the 1973 1466 was 93.5 decibels.  The 4630 was 83 decibels.  That’s a huge difference.  And the 1486 was also 83 decibels.  The facts are the 66 cabs would have made good cabs for the 60s.  Unfortunately, IH pushed them a series to far.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is also interesting is the decibels for the pre 73’ 66 series were about 3 less.  Jacking up the rpms made them louder so I wonder if it was worth it on IH’s part to do that?  Especially since the fuel economy took a slight hit too.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

  I don’t think there were much better cabs until the soundguard cab in 1973.  The IH factory cabs weren’ Quiet, but offered protection from the weather.  Would keep you warm when it was cold and cool when it was hot if equipped with a/c.  They will still do that yet today. Adding some sort of sound dampening material such as dynamic mat helps reduce the noise level.  Keeping all the cab foam and dash pad in place also helps.  In 1976 they had certainly been surpassed in comfort by other manufacturers but these cabs were certainly as good as any aftermarket and better than a heat houser.    

057F0BB4-5900-4FDA-A1FE-CAC162EEC5DF.jpeg

5A609803-2848-4730-A124-89FC09ADF010.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...