Tombstone/Hydraulic seat .

What are the options for seats other than a 400 or 500 dollar set of cushions for a hydraulic seat on a 1466? Have a open station that is not a show piece and the cushions are junk on the tombstone.  Open to ideas . Just fishing any pics or ideas helpful. Thanks guys 

• Like 1

I would look for an upholster to recover your original seat, then you have options on price and how you want it. Strate black wouldn't be very spendy amd it wouldn't be hard for them to put pletes in it to look more original 

• Like 2

A cheap 3-piece seat will also bolt on but you won't be happy with the quality.

There's a reason the seats cost $500.

Beyond that the options are endless. Old car bucket seat. Old office chair. Cheap boat seat from Walmart. Lots of new universal seats online.

I think getting the original reupholstered will make the $500 OEM style seat look cheap, and black on an open station is a good recipe for roasted butt cheeks.

55 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Beyond that the options are endless. Old car bucket seat. Old office chair. Cheap boat seat from Walmart. Lots of new universal seats online.

I think getting the original reupholstered will make the $500 OEM style seat look cheap, and black on an open station is a good recipe for roasted butt cheeks.

Did anyone ever tell you that ya give alot of negative, sarcastic replies?? And talk down to a lot of new guys on here? There is not  a single person here you can take a seat to and get it back within 2 years and believe me if wanted a new seat , I'd buy three of em. Been around this stuff 30 years. I like to find Educated opinions from different parts of the country. Also around here my guys are primarily small dairy farms .And have ya seen the milk price the last 5 years????

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

A 500 dollar seat new your paying for the intire seat with the back plate and everything. For half the price you can have a nice seat done. There is a guy a few towns over that does car restoration quality for a good price, I plan on getting 1 of my 1456 seats redone by him amd I'm sure it will turn out better than the 475 dollar seat I new. A good upholsterer will make close to stock looking or possibly better for less I'm sure, had tuck n roll done for a 53 chevy lead sled and it was 450 a bench seat, 2 colors and had piping on the edges,

• Like 2

Same shop did the interior on this truck I helped build, if I remember right the interior cost around 1500 bucks, so just a tractor seat wouldn't be that badScreenshot_20200203-100239_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e5750b7151797da4de4e261686cee72b.jpgScreenshot_20200203-100309_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1ff8ad4fd2c6b830e8d03e7440491af4.jpg

• Like 3

I totally agree on reupholster! I own a 1466 with tombstone had it done last year I think it cost around 180 or 200$. Guy did armrests and all!

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, cwinn said:

Did anyone ever tell you that ya give alot of negative, sarcastic replies?? And talk down to a lot of new guys on here? There is not  a single person here you can take a seat to and get it back within 2 years and believe me if wanted a new seat , I'd buy three of em. Been around this stuff 30 years. I like to find Educated opinions from different parts of the country. Also around here my guys are primarily small dairy farms .And have ya seen the milk price the last 5 years????

What's negative or sarcastic about my reply? I am simply providing ideas here.

I have seen the 3-piece seats that normally go on mechanical suspensions installed on the hydraulic bases. I've been told they fit.

I also have personal experience with the cheap 3-piece seats you get at places like Tractor Supply. They're GARBAGE. You lean backwards to get at the PTO lever or look down at the drawbar to hook something up, the brackets bend like they're made from tinfoil. My Dad's 656 has one of these cheap seats on it. I hate it. Every time I see it, I want to rip it off, and throw it in the woods across the road.

I've also seen old car seats, office chairs, and boat seats used to varying degrees of success. The first tractor I bought of my own had a boat seat on it, in fact.

They're IDEAS. Nothing wrong with IDEAS. (edit: didn't realize you were the OP, removed all references to "he" here)

Last time I looked into getting a seat reupholstered, the only game in town wanted $750.

Also black seats in the sun will burn your butt.

So what did I do wrong? I don't get this. It's perfectly okay to be a cantankerous old phart on here but you can't crack a joke?

• Like 4

I agree with everything matt said but the place that said 750 for a seat was a rip off. I'm sure some places are able to charge more cause they are ether the only one around or they know that they can get enough work, but there are still people out there doing a good job for a fair price, I spose theres more places where I live because in mn theres alot of people who get snowmobile seats redone. Just an opinion but I think maybe having a tombstone seat redone 2 tone, white in middle and black edge might look nice amd less hot

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I agree with everything matt said but the place that said 750 for a seat was a rip off. I'm sure some places are able to charge more cause they are ether the only one around or they know that they can get enough work, but there are still people out there doing a good job for a fair price, I spose theres more places where I live because in mn theres alot of people who get snowmobile seats redone. Just an opinion but I think maybe having a tombstone seat redone 2 tone, white in middle and black edge might look nice amd less hot

YA know there is a guy here who does old sleds and I think his wife mite do seats. I will check. Just trying to help a friend be low budget in these tough dairy times. If not I'll try adapting 3 piece.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What's negative or sarcastic about my reply? I am simply providing ideas here.

I have seen the 3-piece seats that normally go on mechanical suspensions installed on the hydraulic bases. I've been told they fit.

I also have personal experience with the cheap 3-piece seats you get at places like Tractor Supply. They're GARBAGE. You lean backwards to get at the PTO lever or look down at the drawbar to hook something up, the brackets bend like they're made from tinfoil. My Dad's 656 has one of these cheap seats on it. I hate it. Every time I see it, I want to rip it off, and throw it in the woods across the road.

I've also seen old car seats, office chairs, and boat seats used to varying degrees of success. The first tractor I bought of my own had a boat seat on it, in fact.

They're IDEAS. Nothing wrong with IDEAS. (edit: didn't realize you were the OP, removed all references to "he" here)

Last time I looked into getting a seat reupholstered, the only game in town wanted $750.

Also black seats in the sun will burn your butt.

So what did I do wrong? I don't get this. It's perfectly okay to be a cantankerous old phart on here but you can't crack a joke?

Sorry just lack of sleep and I must of took ya wrong . Just wanna help the guy without cobbing it up .But yes I've seen some bucket seats in the day on 66s that don't look that bad..

• Like 2
4 hours ago, cwinn said:

What are the options for seats other than a 400 or 500 dollar set of cushions for a hydraulic seat on a 1466? Have a open station that is not a show piece and the cushions are junk on the tombstone.  Open to ideas . Just fishing any pics or ideas helpful. Thanks guys 

Where do you live

I know I've replaced those cushions before, not original, but not $50 cheap, junk either, and they held up fine.  It was just the seat cushion and the back. Swapped the hardware, backing plate and arm rests over. Then I had a set of arm rests redone by an automotive shop....and I think it was $100 or 150 just for them.  A three piece set is not gong to just bolt rights on.  And you'd need the factory seat backets. And you'd not have the front to back adjustment.  

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

I know I've replaced those cushions before, not original, but not $50 cheap, junk either, and they held up fine.  It was just the seat cushion and the back. Swapped the hardware, backing plate and arm rests over. Then I had a set of arm rests redone by an automotive shop....and I think it was $100 or 150 just for them.  A three piece set is not gong to just bolt rights on.  And you'd need the factory seat backets. And you'd not have the front to back adjustment.  

Yeah I wondered that ,never seen it done.

8 hours ago, Harvester66 said:

I totally agree on reupholster! I own a 1466 with tombstone had it done last year I think it cost around 180 or 200$. Guy did armrests and all!

Pictures, we need pictures!!!! I’m looking at redoing the seat cushion on a 1456!

• Like 2

Mine has some brackets from a 715 combine, mounted on a plate that lets you keep the sliding rails for the tombstone seat and have the 3 pc cushion on the hydraulic suspension.  Use A&I cushions here that I believe come from K&M.  I personally hate the tombstone seats.

• Like 1

If you can sew you can upholster them yourself. They may not look like a $500 seat but they should cost less than  $100. It's not that hard to put some naugahyde over a cushion. My wife scavengeds old sofa cushions to use on tractors. Thx-Ace

• Like 1
On 2/3/2020 at 11:05 AM, Harvester66 said:

Would love to get their contact name and info. I would be willing to easily pay that and more for quality materials and stitching.

• Like 1
On 2/3/2020 at 7:33 PM, TP from Central PA said:

Mine has some brackets from a 715 combine, mounted on a plate that lets you keep the sliding rails for the tombstone seat and have the 3 pc cushion on the hydraulic suspension.  Use A&I cushions here that I believe come from K&M.  I personally hate the tombstone seats.

I HATE EM TOO! Pain in the butt everytime I come across one .Hydraulic seats too

I like the old three piece seats the best.Maybe just because our 1st "big tractor" 656,at age 13 has one on it.I see 06, 56,66  series with somthing else just looks weird. But I sat on pieces of metal,boards no backrest tarp strapped seats piled up with feed bags,foam or rags when milk is losing you money everyday the truck shows up to haul it out.

Just what you do.

30 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I like tombstones the best, more to lean back on when your a big oger with a bad back20191224_100703.thumb.jpg.8fc508c65563c312fe0cca85f27d430d.jpg

Were they standard on Western Models? Now that I seen that white one on yours that's the first one I seen I believe that is white.I also thought they were only on later model tractors or some after market add on for comfort and they were always black.Of the gazillion IH's that I seen they all had the three piece except a handful black ones. Of  course being in the East  row crops are what I grew up on.As a kid I don't even remember at IH dealer where I collected brochures of ever being a western model brochures being offered for me to scarf up. Learn something new everyday.