Would you rather have a 350u or 424?

If you had to pick one which would you choose? I have a 350 utility that was very obviously rode hard and put away wet before I bought it. I have done a ton of work to it and got everything working, and converted it hydraulic steering. It has a loader with hyd tilt and still looks like garbage but works pretty good.

Today I was offered a really good deal on a 424. It has a cheapo trip loader. It runs but needs a little attention from sitting for too long. It is faded but really straight. I don't need or want two loader tractors, So I need to pick one. 

Can you put the full hydraulic loader on the 424?

You know what you have with the 350 and it's mechanically sound, is the 424 as good mechanically? 

I have a 300 utility, it doesn't have power steering and I would hate to have a loader on it. I do use the loader on my H (w/live hydraulics) a lot and it does really well with it and steers easy.

I would get the second one too, but I have 13 tractors now and am going to try and not buy anymore for a little while  (although I've said that a few times).

• Like 1

If I had to choose between the two, I would choose not to have a tractor until I found a better one....

On that note, the 424 would at least have 3pt hitch and better steering, and should have a lot better hydraulics.  But as old as both are, you never know what you will end up with. 

I'd rather have a 340 over a 350, and I'd rather have a 484 over a 424. But to each his own. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

If I had to choose between the two, I would choose not to have a tractor until I found a better one....

On that note, the 424 would at least have 3pt hitch and better steering, and should have a lot better hydraulics.  But as old as both are, you never know what you will end up with. 

I'd rather have a 340 over a 350, and I'd rather have a 484 over a 424. But to each his own. 

good advice - how many tractors do you own? some people own them and keep their budget inline with the use they have for them and others give advice

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hillman said:

good advice - how many tractors do you own? some people own them and keep their budget inline with the use they have for them and others give advice

I don't have to own any to know what is good about each. I've spent enough hours in the seats of them, and fixed enough of them to know the good and the bad of each. 

I can't make a post without you making a comment. 

So, what do you suggest to the OP?

first thought 424 is foreign model more nice frills but more to break and hard for parts

could be $ for a reason. check which engine ,bad wear items, and what could be needed in future if england,

govt  is making ALL engine parts illegal, import could be $$$$ if found ,  while the 350 still has nos parts in states to be found,

short of that  only the un regulated not polluting inefficient ,far easy can make &%^&*^ parts in future

I really don't think you'll be moving up all that much with a 424. It's a bit newer, but really the only advantage is the 3pt hitch. If you already have fast hitch implements, though, that really isn't an advantage.

The 424 comes from the B275/B414 lineage if I'm not mistaken. IIRC the "live" PTO is through a 2-stage clutch, where the 350's is truly independent. Factory hydraulics on the 424 may be limited to a single one-way remote that is shared with the 3pt hitch via a diverter valve, though there may be a North American spec where the tractor is equipped with some two-way remotes.

Parts concern is real. There are a lot more 350s around than 424s, part because the 350's and other older "chore" tractors were still in widespread use, and because there were fewer farms for the dealers to sell to by the late 1960s.

If I had the 350 already, and had done as much work to it as you have to yours, AND I could not have two tractors,  I would grab the 424 if it was cheap enough, put in some sweat equity, and try to make a few bucks on it.

• Like 2

424 all day, every day, if the hydraulics work right and it has power steering.  Hydraulic parts, and most importantly the people that know how to work on that system, are getting very hard to find.  If the 424 is a diesel, be sure you can find somebody that is familiar with that engine--I don't know anything about parts availability on those. 

If it doesn't have power steering I'd think real hard.  Non-power steering models handle like a log cart!

Al

I don't have any implements for the 350 besides a grader blade. I have been looking and fast hitch implements have been awful hard to find in my area and over priced. The three point would be nice for that. The 424 has three point controls on the RH side and the loader valve sticks out from under the seat. It's strange but appears to be factory. 

The 424 ran really good for about ten minutes, we ran the loader, three point, and pto and everything worked. It had a stuck brake but we got that freed up. It then died, and I think the fuel feed is clogged from cruddy old gas.

The situation with the tractor is the owner is in the nursing home, his son needs to settle up the estate, something to do with medicare I don't really understand, but he needed the tractor gone to put the house up for sale. I told him I would take it home and get running then either buy it or help him sell it then we'd work something out. It really is a good straight tractor, the only thing holding me back is the light duty trip loader.

My 350 is beat. It was a highway tractor at one point I think because there is yellow paint under the red, and you can tell it's been really abused. Stuff is wore out that shouldn't be. Just dumb stuff like the splines are shot on the PTO handle. Not just that but a million little things like that. I thought about trying put hyd tilt loader on to the 424 but the loader is rough too and I might just not mess with it. 

I think I'm gonna go with the 424. I'm not familiar with them and I wanted to make sure they were a decent machine. Most of the stuff I've read online has been pretty positive. 

2 hours ago, gearheadmb said:

I don't have any implements for the 350 besides a grader blade. I have been looking and fast hitch implements have been awful hard to find in my area and over priced. The three point would be nice for that. The 424 has three point controls on the RH side and the loader valve sticks out from under the seat. It's strange but appears to be factory. 

The 424 ran really good for about ten minutes, we ran the loader, three point, and pto and everything worked. It had a stuck brake but we got that freed up. It then died, and I think the fuel feed is clogged from cruddy old gas.

The situation with the tractor is the owner is in the nursing home, his son needs to settle up the estate, something to do with medicare I don't really understand, but he needed the tractor gone to put the house up for sale. I told him I would take it home and get running then either buy it or help him sell it then we'd work something out. It really is a good straight tractor, the only thing holding me back is the light duty trip loader.

My 350 is beat. It was a highway tractor at one point I think because there is yellow paint under the red, and you can tell it's been really abused. Stuff is wore out that shouldn't be. Just dumb stuff like the splines are shot on the PTO handle. Not just that but a million little things like that. I thought about trying put hyd tilt loader on to the 424 but the loader is rough too and I might just not mess with it. 

I think I'm gonna go with the 424. I'm not familiar with them and I wanted to make sure they were a decent machine. Most of the stuff I've read online has been pretty positive. 

Yeah the factory handles for remote valves are under the seat......kinda strange but it worked I guess......

My dad's 424 survived my teenage years.....they are very durable!

Does it have power steering?

Al

You say you can't have 2 loader tractors...OK, I get that.   But hows about one loader tractor and one with a nice 3pt rear blade/tiller/etc.   I always found that a loader made using a tractor for other stuff awkward, while having different implements on different tractors was often convenient.   

IF you can cash flow buying this 424, I'd suggest you buy it, take off the light trip bucket loader, and try using it around a bit.   Keep the 350 with loader for a while.    (Excuse:  I have to find a better loader for the 424 before I sell the 350, dear!)   I think you will find that the 424 sans loader is REALLY handy to have around: move a wagon, rear blade, maybe even a tiller if you garden.   I far preferred the little Ford 800 we had w/o the loader on it.   

Then, if you find its too much having 2, or you just prefer 1 over the other, sell the unneeded tractor.

• Like 2

Providing it has power steering the 424  If its a diesel engine  parts are no problem . If its a gas engine parts especially piston kits are getting hard to get for both the tune up parts are easy. 424 Tractors with the second valve are a little harder to find but they are out there, they are two way valves ,almost all 424s had a 3 point which is way more versatile than a standard drawbar or fast hitch. The 2 stage clutch which most had  is a very user friendly way of operating the pto .  The front axle and steering is much better on a 424. The only thing I can think of Which would be better on a 350u is if it had the optional TA  for some pto work. I have had both for 20+ years actually a 2424 and a 350 utility

2 hours ago, R190 said:

Providing it has power steering the 424  If its a diesel engine  parts are no problem . If its a gas engine parts especially piston kits are getting hard to get for both the tune up parts are easy. 424 Tractors with the second valve are a little harder to find but they are out there, they are two way valves ,almost all 424s had a 3 point which is way more versatile than a standard drawbar or fast hitch. The 2 stage clutch which most had  is a very user friendly way of operating the pto .  The front axle and steering is much better on a 424. The only thing I can think of Which would be better on a 350u is if it had the optional TA  for some pto work. I have had both for 20+ years actually a 2424 and a 350 utility

Never been around a 350U but the 424 does have an 8 speed transmission, so speed selection is pretty good.

My dad's 424 has neither live pto or power steering--but it does have spin out rear wheels......I've thought about trying to talk him into letting me swap them onto my 404 but I hate to change it......

Al

19 hours ago, J-Mech said:

I don't have to own any to know what is good about each. I've spent enough hours in the seats of them, and fixed enough of them to know the good and the bad of each. 

I can't make a post without you making a comment. 

So, what do you suggest to the OP?

I don't comment often on your posts but you always talk down to everyone/= check your posts I seldom enter your threads....its the other 20 guys😑you spent 100s of hrs on an old 4786? why didn't you get a newer Steiger? follow my logic?

OK 350 is a good strong little tractor ,if the ta is good and with the IPTO its sweet for any field pto work if OP has a baler or little haybine. 424 without ta and the 2 stage clutch is not as nice. Parts easier to find for 350 but that's not a big deal. Steering is better on 424 but OP fixed his? pth vs fast hitch ? depends if he uses it and what for- fast hitch with a blade is much nicer for grading.  OP did not mention if the 424 is diesel or gas. If its a good starting running diesel engine I would take it over the C175 but if its a worn diesel IMHO it isn't worth rebuilding and would be expensive to repair or maintain compared to a gas 350. rebuilding the C175 is fairly cheap compared to the 424 Then I would compare the tires on both tractors. if one tractor has much better tires I would go for that tractor with all things equal. tires are deal breakers for me on old tractors unless I patiently wait for deals on used ones. They aren't worth new shoes. or a rebuild actually 

If the 2 were available side by side same condition same price and the 424 was diesel I would take the 424. otherwise 350u

2 hours ago, hillman said:

you spent 100s of hrs on an old 4786? why didn't you get a newer Steiger? follow my logic?

Not really, no.  But I digress.  It's unimportant to the topic at hand. Also, I was paid to fix it.  I didn't buy it. 

Hillman,

Two new 14.9-28 tires on the 350. One good 13.6-28 and one not so great on the 424, but they are both bolt on rims so I figured I would put the new tires on whichever one I keep. 

Do you have the space to keep both of them for a short while, so you can operate them and see which one you like better? I assume if you bought the 424,that you would have to sell the 350 anyway. Both are good tractors and will probably do everything you need (except the trip bucket, that would be a big step backwards from power tilt). 

1 hour ago, international560 said:

Do you have the space to keep both of them for a short while, so you can operate them and see which one you like better? I assume if you bought the 424,that you would have to sell the 350 anyway. Both are good tractors and will probably go everything you need (except the trip bucket, that would be a big step backwards from power tilt). 

I think that's the plan for now. I made mental list of the pros and cons of each, and really the loader is the only down side I see to keeping the 424. So as long as I don't find anything wrong with the tractor I think I will probably go with the 424 and keep an eye out for a better loader in the future. I can then sell the trip loader to offset the cost a bit. One upside to the trip loader is it looks like it will be a lot easier to take on and off than the loader on my 350. 

Converting the tip loader to Hydraulic action cant be overly complicated.  My 1501 loader looks identical to the tip version, it just has an extra bolt-on bracket for the cylinder.

Who ever set it up added an open centre valve pack in-line from the pump  to the hydraulic 3pt head.

IMG_5431.thumb.JPG.f928a55c6616be4b01d7aec4af0ea004.JPG

Capture.JPG

• Like 2
8 hours ago, gearheadmb said:

I think that's the plan for now. I made mental list of the pros and cons of each, and really the loader is the only down side I see to keeping the 424. So as long as I don't find anything wrong with the tractor I think I will probably go with the 424 and keep an eye out for a better loader in the future. I can then sell the trip loader to offset the cost a bit. One upside to the trip loader is it looks like it will be a lot easier to take on and off than the loader on my 350. 

I think you will like the 424, keep them both you can never have too many. 

We had IH 434 with same IH 1501 loader and hydraulic bucket, later traded for IH 384 with IH 1550 loader again with same hydraulic bucket but 1550 had double acting boom cylinders therefore down pressure as well.