Jordy2012

5140 tractor fuel tank

5 hours ago, maurer said:

take out floormat and seat

IIRC it is under clutch pedal?

run low on fuel  get big pan remove drain plug/drain

Yes pull seat an access sender from there. If you take sender out remove and toss intake screen from sender. Once you have it back together install an inline fuel filter (FF5006) near low pressure transfer pump. 

But ...................before you go to any trouble at all make sure you can get a new sender. I have been repairing them here, CNH parts status is NLA (no longer available) 

PS' rotate sender counter-clockwise to remove it. 

Those screens are probably why both our 5140 tractors gelled way before our skidloaders did. All used the same fuel filters and the fuel was all treated the same. Wish I had known this year's ago

My 5240 seems to freeze up worse than anything else I got using same fuel.

1 hour ago, ky966boy said:

My 5240 seems to freeze up worse than anything else I got using same fuel.

I always thought it was the fuel line being too small but it could be that screen. I don't miss the maxxums at all in the long run

When fuel waxes, the crystals sink to the bottom of tank where the pick up is. There are ways to deal with it at the primary filter.

5 hours ago, bitty said:

I always thought it was the fuel line being too small but it could be that screen. I don't miss the maxxums at all in the long run

I like mine but it is the newest tractor I have don’t know any better I guess.

If your in that deep replace the fuel line from sender to lift pump. They are known to crack and cause issues along with the screen. 

John

I have a 5230 that the fuel gauge only works when the tank is full to 3/4 full, as fuel level drops it starts bouncing then finally no response and shows empty when the tank is 1/2 full. I am curious is this why you are working on the sending unit or do I have an internal problem and need to drop the tank?

went and looked at neighbors, unit is "barely" under seat,so some wrestling would be able to coax it out,

hopefully not too long on float arm and you need a safety harness to hold you, while fishing it back in

we had dropped the tank for something 15 years ago, later it needed some other tank related and waited 5 years for trip to dealer.

we just kept  fuel and oil full and ignored the dash

On 2/1/2020 at 3:34 AM, CIHTECH said:

Yes pull seat an access sender from there. If you take sender out remove and toss intake screen from sender. Once you have it back together install an inline fuel filter (FF5006) near low pressure transfer pump. 

But ...................before you go to any trouble at all make sure you can get a new sender. I have been repairing them here, CNH parts status is NLA (no longer available) 

PS' rotate sender counter-clockwise to remove it. 

Looks like part number I need is 130915A1 - do you sell rebuilt units or can you share how you are rebuilding them. 

No I only repair them as needed.

Most times the holes where float arm pivots are worn out, this allows for the arm to lose contact with resistor card. If you have it out of tank, hook a meter to it, then raise and lower float arm while making sure you get / maintain a consistent ohm reading through out float arm travel. Should read from around 33 -to - 240 ohms. Most times rebush pivot and space arm correctly with resistor card brings them back to life. 

Have your dealer check all dealer inventory, someone may still have one on the shelf, while they are checking for you make sure you also check number 1533805C1. The only difference is the suction screen that you can pull off and toss in trash.