Hello. I have a 1979 s1854 tractor  that i use to pull my stock trailer. It has a dt466 with a 5 speed. I have a 2 speed axle that is geared way to low. At 60 mph its screaming about 2500 rpms.  I would like to know what overdive trans would bolt up to the 466. Im thinking of getting a higher rear end for it when i convert it to air ride. Thanks

20190418_135303.jpg

Your lucky,  first couple days I worked for the trucking company I eventually ran over the road for I drove a little S-series like that except it had a 3208 in it.  Only drove about ten miles but moved something like 40 trailers in 8 hours.  Guess you should expect that when the company your driving for calls themselves a "Spotting Service".

Bet you could find an Eaton Road-Ranger that bolts to that 466 and gives you a nice over-drive ratio.  Seems like IH geared ALL their trucks the same,  engine screaming like crazy at 55-60 mph.

The tractor I spotted trailers with pulled trailers loaded with 45,000#,  only had to take them a couple city blocks, Mr. GOODWRENCH had two steel boxes welded up that fir between the rear axle and the frame rails, so we could drop loaded trailers and leave them high enough to get under them with tandem axle tractors.  It didn't ride well at all especially bouncing over railroad tracks but did keep loaded trailers high enough.

22 hours ago, Michiganmilkman said:

Hello. I have a 1979 s1854 tractor  that i use to pull my stock trailer. It has a dt466 with a 5 speed. I have a 2 speed axle that is geared way to low. At 60 mph its screaming about 2500 rpms.  I would like to know what overdive trans would bolt up to the 466. Im thinking of getting a higher rear end for it when i convert it to air ride. Thanks

20190418_135303.jpg

If you can find a little bit newer axle that has a higher ratio you could swap out entire axle. A road ranger trans with overdrive can be bolted in but it isn’t direct fit. They made 6+1 trans everyone hated in newer trucks that had a overdrive I believe. You have to remember speed limit was 55 until a few years ago that is why they are geared like that.

You need a diff like my old 1979 Loadstar with a 466. 1700 RPM at 60 MPH. It had a "short 4th" box which was a bit weird, though! Big jump from 4th to direct if you didn't split shift.

• 3 months later...

The trick with fitting a road ranger would be figuring out the parking brake - I assume your truck is hydraulic brakes and the existing park brake mounts on the back of the trans?  I have a very similar drivetrain in my truck and I can’t see to find any road ranger options with a parkbrake (all trucks that class had air brakes).

A lot (I bet probably more than half) of MDT trans that are 6 speeds are NOT overdrive, and the difference in identification are only serial/model numbers, so be wary.  

Also, fast rear ends in the 2speeds are rare (mine is a Spicer M190T with a 4.88 ratio, and fast gear sets/3rd members seem extremely hard to find).  Most are slower, as they were mostly on gas-jobs.

Looks to me like it has air lines going to the trailer, then the tractor should have air brakes.

DWF

My Eagle has 3.55 gears and turns 1700 RPM at 60 MPH. 11x24.5's, 15 direct 3406 Cat. Tops out at 72 MPH.