Sign in to follow this  
Wi Ih

1066 on auction

8 hours ago, russtred said:

This post got me thinking...  Has anyone ever seen a 56 or 66 series narrow front with a cab on it?  Was that even a factory option? I don't recall ever seeing such a unicorn.  I've seen 86 series set up like that, not saying it was factory...

20190322_115127.thumb.jpg.1fce7c56036fa491bd9e24edb088a6b5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here is the one Randy Hall mentioned I believe.  I do have a magazine add for a 234 picker on a 66 series tractor somewhere. It was an IH add for the picker in a 72-74 farm magazine. 

4BA18C76-0021-457F-904A-4C0E50652FB3.jpeg

B64C545F-41BB-4774-8AA7-DF47DD7C1025.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Is this the one your talking about Todd?

525107D9-49BB-4E58-9C5F-81B63EB10DCC.jpeg.89f4261271d9e9e8488d0563902f7eea.jpeg

I think the OP 1066 is a nice one and would be a lot of fun to take out for a drive 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Is this the one your talking about Todd?

525107D9-49BB-4E58-9C5F-81B63EB10DCC.jpeg.89f4261271d9e9e8488d0563902f7eea.jpeg

I think the OP 1066 is a nice one and would be a lot of fun to take out for a drive 

No, I would have to look for it. It was a magazine add, not an IH brochure. 

10 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

No, I would have to look for it. It was a magazine add, not an IH brochure. 

This is the only one I’ve seen on a 66 from what I can think of

26 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

This is the only one I’ve seen on a 66 from what I can think of

I can look for it in the next few days if I get time. 

11 hours ago, Long Farms said:

20190322_115127.thumb.jpg.1fce7c56036fa491bd9e24edb088a6b5.jpg

This ^ is a nice looking tractor!  I was trying to picture what a 1066 NF with deluxe cab would look like.  I realize it would be as ugly and impractical as "Madam Speaker", but very rare and unique...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

Looks really nice.  It cost a bunch to make it look like that.  I would use it!  If you aren’t going to use them why have them?  Might not use it for mowing brush or hauling manure but I would use that sucker!  It would look good with a little dust on that paint!

+1, nothing annoys me more than a lawn ornament................my brother is into lawn ornaments, he painted the sheet metal for the tractor I grind feed with, I told him I wanted it Red, don't go to fancy.  He made it look like a sheet of glass..............and just like I told him, I bolted everything back on after getting it back together and it grinds feed, I think every time he sees it covered in feed dust he wants to drive into town and jump off the tallest 10 story building here.  He will get over it some year.  

12 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

Looks really nice.  It cost a bunch to make it look like that.  I would use it!  If you aren’t going to use them why have them?  Might not use it for mowing brush or hauling manure but I would use that sucker!  It would look good with a little dust on that paint!

893EA54A-9A99-47CB-9D69-E8DFD0D29EAD.jpeg

Agree with you Bill.  Looking at a nice shiny tractor sitting in the shed is boring.  I like to use them occasionally to get a little enjoyment out of them.

I see that it has 2 rear lights.  Was that factory for an open station 66 series?  My '72 656 just has the 1 on left fender.  Never really paid attention but don't remember seeing 2 lights before.

• Like 1

I think most shed queens get exercised  perhaps several times yearly.

Besides parades there are plow days,  pull what ya brung events, then there are the ACMOC digging events that gives opportunity to exercised with a ripper, disk, scraper plow.

They were made to be used and even retired they need exercising.

Tony 

EECD1F7F-B0E7-45F4-AD26-7EC228F5F2DE.jpeg

CDB11FAE-31DC-450A-9DC4-258F1F1202BE.jpeg

• Like 6

21 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

On the other hand I doubt if anyone paying that much for a 1066 is going to work it hard enough to find any problems it may or may not have. 

Edit: if you look closely at the pictures it has a lot of little details many restorations miss, such as the alternator belt shield and the hydraulic coupler dust plugs with chains to the hanger brackets. 

I looked at that too. What surprised me was the lack of wire connector housings on the rear lights since they are not that hard to find.

I think it's a beauty.  Nicest one we have here, but it's original, and we "use" it....if pulling a tedder counts as use.  It chisels a little too sometimes.

image.jpg

• Like 6

Also this tractor probably has been sporting a cab for the most of its life. It has 2 fan and alternator belts. The no cab ones had 1 fan belt.

I have a cabbed one, no AC, with only a single belt pulley.  I put an AC cab on it....need to swap out  the water pump pulley yet and get the second and third belt on there. 

Wonder how long the 1066 wet bolster fab job will last....makes me wonder what else. 

Gdfhg.jpg

• Like 4

So I wonder if a gentleman posted that 1066 on this forum as a project that he did and gave some details and history, would you all admire it or pick it apart then as well? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I just sometimes wonder why does there have to be assumed fault in this tractor or project? Not everyone does this or even could for that matter. I think maybe some should find out the story before assuming it is a clunker with shiny paint. What if the new proud owner is one of us? How will he feel about some of the comments? Let us all be careful before we pass judgement or assume when we don't really know. It is really easy to sit behind a screen and type, would you say those things if this tractor was at Red Power Roundup and you were talking to the owner in person, or would you politely ask him the story and details. Something for all of us to digest I believe.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

So I wonder if a gentleman posted that 1066 on this forum as a project that he did and gave some details and history, would you all admire it or pick it apart then as well? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I just sometimes wonder why does there have to be assumed fault in this tractor or project? Not everyone does this or even could for that matter. I think maybe some should find out the story before assuming it is a clunker with shiny paint. What if the new proud owner is one of us? How will he feel about some of the comments? Let us all be careful before we pass judgement or assume when we don't really know. It is really easy to sit behind a screen and type, would you say those things if this tractor was at Red Power Roundup and you were talking to the owner in person, or would you politely ask him the story and details. Something for all of us to digest I believe.

+1..........I personally think it all comes down to jealousy of the price it brought, had it brought $7500, you would get a completely different take on it I wager.  I seen some guys on here pay crazy prices for stuff that made me shake my head, but if they are happy that is all that matters, so what does knocking it gain?????  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

+1..........I personally think it all comes down to jealousy of the price it brought, had it brought $7500, you would get a completely different take on it I wager.  I seen some guys on here pay crazy prices for stuff that made me shake my head, but if they are happy that is all that matters, so what does knocking it gain?????  

Here on the east coast it's common for a nice looking 1066 ( not all dented up, everything functional as it should be, ) but not all new shiny paint will bring in the mid teens. We are not as fortunate as some to buy a 4366 at auction for less than a grand, etc .

With new rubber and new paint that is some cost there 

• Like 3

I have no experience with narrow front end setups. They just don't exist here in NY.  I'm not even sure how they work.  

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Maybe the people picking this tractor apart should post pictures of their pristine  perfect flawless equipment. Make sure the photos are good quality so I can zoom in and point out all the  defects. 

I won't be posting any of mine. Nothing I have is perfect. 

Go Kansas City Chiefs!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I posted this just to show the price and they can bring good money in red paint don’t have to be the other color, didn’t mean to have it flaws pointed out and I have no ties to it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Maybe the people picking this tractor apart should post pictures of their pristine  perfect flawless equipment. Make sure the photos are good quality so I can zoom in and point out all the  defects. 

I won't be posting any of mine. Nothing I have is perfect. 

Go Kansas City Chiefs!!!!!!!

It’s nicer than any of mine. Do you know what he used for a steering bolster? The 1066 ones are hard to find I know customer needed one 20 years ago for mfwd tractor and it came from far away

It's a very pretty tractor.I also do not think the oringal poster or sale ad said same as new or factory correct restoration.The seller at least did not lie and say overhauled,new clutch and TA. Its up to the buyer if the way it looks and knowing that it could run 10 years or only 10 hours without problems is it worth the money.The guy selling is in it to make money and last I heard that's not a crime.

I like orignal tractors and nicely painted ones.The dents and dings tell a story.I like the looks of it but I have 2 10's now the kids grow up on,had others I have sold ,and would put my money on a nice little cab tractor with AC. But if you don't have one and want one it's not so bad.

I feel sorry for the member of our forum who did all that work to that tractor, to sit at home and see how much it's getting picked apart by the correct police. Also, as mentioned, how bad the new owner must feel if he's a member on here. It took 2 people who got it to the selling price that thought it was cool to have and worth the money. I'll never post a project before, during, or after on here. It was saved and redone, for many years to come. It could have been like that poor 4430 that got pictured on a lowboy taking a 10 minute slow death. Before you criticize, think about the worst.

• Like 5