Spring Harvest

Loadstar

With all the crop that was left in the field over winter I'm wondering if we can expect a replay of 2003. I only had a few acres of flax(linola) swath to pick up that spring but managed to get stuck with the 1660. Ground had some real soft spots the first week in May. Corrected it. Was the first week in May. . 

pulling out combine 2003 spring.jpg

Edited by Loadstar
Date corrected.
  • Sad 1

I'm expecting a replay of last year here. Although we are getting kinda nervous with the fact that we don't have much snow yet. Usually we got 2-3 feet or more by now. As of today maybe 8". Is the rest coming in April when we should be combining???

Spring of 2019 the crop went through much better and all dry compared to the previous fall. Ground held up well too. Only slid down a few bad sidehills. I hope it happens the same again. We are sitting better off than last year, but there is quite a few guys that have crop in the field right now that didn't last year, and maybe never have before. One more year like the past couple and I think a few guys will shut er down

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, db1486 said:

I'm expecting a replay of last year here. Although we are getting kinda nervous with the fact that we don't have much snow yet. Usually we got 2-3 feet or more by now. As of today maybe 8". Is the rest coming in April when we should be combining???

Spring of 2019 the crop went through much better and all dry compared to the previous fall. Ground held up well too. Only slid down a few bad sidehills. I hope it happens the same again. We are sitting better off than last year, but there is quite a few guys that have crop in the field right now that didn't last year, and maybe never have before. One more year like the past couple and I think a few guys will shut er down

I didn't have any crop out last winter and don't think many others did. This year its a whole different story . Some have hundreds. Some have a few thousand acres still to harvest when the snow goes and the ground dries enough to support combines and trucks. Its possible some might be harvested with a match but I think I'll put mine through the combine. 60 acres of feed grade wheat is still worth the trouble and I don't like fires in the spring. 

From what I'm hearing there is alot more crop out this winter than last. Last year it was mostly just in our area with a bit here and there in other places. This year it is alot more wide spread. West 40 miles they had an extra week of harvest weather compared to the 4 days we had the last go around

We just got canola and flax left. Should go through pretty quick, well whatever the deer don't destroy 

thankfully I just got done on the last nice day last year, it was a struggle and got is all off in fairly good moisture levels not dry but manageable, ive been told there is a lot of crop around Edmonton to wainwright to go yet 

good luck with the harvest in the spring ive had to take off over 1600 acres in spring of 2016 and 50 acres in 2019, that's enough spring thrashin for my farming career, time to get back to normal years 

Ralph the feed wheat market may hang in there for ya, I sold some for $5.00 picked up the other day for march pick up 

50 minutes ago, wheatking said:

Ralph the feed wheat market may hang in there for ya, I sold some for $5.00 picked up the other day for march pick up 

Wow, that sounds a lot better than I was quoted by Cargill in November. $4.25 and I pay the trucking. I'm not sure if that included the penalty for high moisture or not. In any case they were not looking to buy any more tough grain. Mine all graded feed and nothing dry. Further ahead growing oats. 

1 hour ago, wheatking said:

thankfully I just got done on the last nice day last year, it was a struggle and got is all off in fairly good moisture levels not dry but manageable, ive been told there is a lot of crop around Edmonton to wainwright to go yet 

good luck with the harvest in the spring ive had to take off over 1600 acres in spring of 2016 and 50 acres in 2019, that's enough spring thrashin for my farming career, time to get back to normal years 

Just came back from the mountains on Sunday and I was surprised to see swaths out around Swift Current yet. Looked like the odd field here and there all the way across the praries too. Some may have been straw though under the snow, but there was some canola and flax for sure

this year grain marketing is a head scratcher at most, selling it as feed picked up for $5.00 or just under or selling as a number 2 low protein for 5.40 (prices have went up abit since then) and getting charged shrinkage weither I haul it in or picked up, not to sure on my seeding plans for this year yet 

Roosty I bet that price is with out the shrinkage they like to use that as kinda the fine print I find, you could probably get in touch with a broker and do better price wise and get it picked up, agfinity offered $5.10 awhile back, it being a warmer winter(cows not eating much) and spring thrash coming around the bend I think feed wheat will go down a lot this spring 

We went to Saskatoon last week to get some parts and took a different route. We had to go to claret first so we went south to 41 and in that way. Once you got past wakaw there was quite a bit of crop in the field both big farmers and small by the looks of the size of the swaths left. Looked like some canola and wheat kind of standing yet too. The north east seems to be ahead this year thankfully. There’s not much for crop left in this corner of the province. I saw a bit of canola out yet around Hudson Bay but that’s almost gotten to be a given now being how wet it has been over there. With the lesser snowfall this winter so far maybe things will start to dry up for them. 

Quite a bit out there in this area east of Edmonton including on my own farm.   Becoming a spring harvest veteran.  Last fall we did not ever get any dry grain, it was how wet do you want it in the bin.  Was trying for wheat around 17% and did a third of my acres.  Canola never did get below 13%.   People with dryers have most of it off but without a dryer, you were hooped.  Was able to dry the wheat in the bin a bit and got around 5.85 as a #2.   My guess is that dry feed wheat will be worth $6 in the spring and wildlife compensation is not bad.   The wheat the deer eat is worth $6.68 so the best market.

26 minutes ago, IH884 said:

Quite a bit out there in this area east of Edmonton including on my own farm.   Becoming a spring harvest veteran.  Last fall we did not ever get any dry grain, it was how wet do you want it in the bin.  Was trying for wheat around 17% and did a third of my acres.  Canola never did get below 13%.   People with dryers have most of it off but without a dryer, you were hooped.  Was able to dry the wheat in the bin a bit and got around 5.85 as a #2.   My guess is that dry feed wheat will be worth $6 in the spring and wildlife compensation is not bad.   The wheat the deer eat is worth $6.68 so the best market.

I don't think becoming spring harvest veterans is something we want lol

Same here last fall. Never took a dry bushel off. Most of the wheat wasn't too bad, around 17-18, but the last of it was over 20 I'm sure. Got to the point we didn't bother testing. As long as it went through the combine and wasn't too much snow we kept going lol. Canola wouldn't drop below 12 for us, so didn't get much of it off