A bit of WWII B-17 history

This is for Randy Sohn and others who might have an interest in this history.  This crash landing had to very near to my place, I’m guessing at most a mile or two away. I am about 5 miles NE of Orange City.  

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/state-and-regional/orange-city-area-still-remembers-when-b--crashed/article_145f19b7-a1f1-59b1-bb0f-068bb46921a1.html

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

This crash landing had to very near to my place, I’m guessing at most a mile or two away. I am about 5 miles NE of Orange City

Yup had heard about it back then on the radio (WNAX - C. Gurney's station, 570 on the dial, Yankton, SD).  Had known that there were a whole lotta B-17s at the SUX airbase.  Crash was talked about at our school at Excelsior, IA.  That B-17 was an earlier F model, IIRC one without the rudder dorsal fin.  Flown several B-17s in the CAF but they were all G models, ex AF or Navy.

Been to the Tulip Festival a couple times in my youth.

best, randy

Several years ago I delivered an ice machine to a farmer by Walnut Iowa. Can’t remember exactualy where . He makes homemade ice cream at local events with a hit and miss engine and wanted his own ice machine . 

Well anyway, somewhere right there I drove past a large model airplane up on a pole or windmill tower out in a corn field . 

I stopped on the side of the road and walked out to it . As I remember it was a 1/4 scale or 1/2 scale detailed replica of a B-24 liberator about 20 or 30 feet off the ground. 

There was memorial plaque on it with the names of the men who crashed there on a training mission .  

I wonder if it’s still there . 

7 hours ago, Gearclash said:

This is for Randy Sohn and others who might have an interest in this history.  This crash landing had to very near to my place, I’m guessing at most a mile or two away. I am about 5 miles NE of Orange City.  

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/state-and-regional/orange-city-area-still-remembers-when-b--crashed/article_145f19b7-a1f1-59b1-bb0f-068bb46921a1.html

I never knew about that one.  Older guy by Hinton said he remembered a crash just north of Hinton around WWII.  If I recall none survived that one.

Where is that at? I get over to Walnut a few times a year. Relatives are buried there.

I was born in Nov 1 of '43 so I wasn't paying much attention to the many crashes and off airport landings that too place around my home a couple miles or less East of Sioux City AAB.  One of which was within an 8th of  mile from our house in the dark.  Iced up B-17 belly landed in the field below our house in the corn field.  I was told that when the crew knocked on the door of the house, it scared the **** out of my mother who was home alone with me at the time.  My dad who was at his folk's farm a half mile away rushed home.  We had no phone, so he took some of the crew to the base to report the incident.  There were no injuries, but the airplane was damaged enough that it was disassembled and trucked out.  They only had to truck it a mile and a half.

Ron

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ron Cook said:

They only had to truck it a mile and a half.

Yup, heard on WNAX radio about many of those crashes.  And thinking now about the SUX airport, it was one that used to pass thru a lot when I was still flying for North Central.  IIRC, Salix or Sloan was one of the marker beacons on the ILS to runway 32 at SUX, I forget now.

best, randy

Great stories! I still love them old planes! ---Too bad they are bout extinct !

One of our FAA guy's by the name of Bob Hill flies a B-17. It is not based here in Nashville. He instructs Safety Classes through out the year. In fact we met with him 2 Saturdays ago and he showed the 909 crash that someone had taken on the airport property with a cell phone. It is amazing how much Bob knows about those planes. He also discussed the radial engines and showed the internals and externals and told how it all works. It took all of 3 hours of class and he was not through. 

I fly out of M54, Lebanon, Tn. It happens to have been a B-17 Base during WW2. Also the FBO has a black and white picture of the "Belle of Lebanon". 

When I first read Lorenzo's post I thought maybe he was talking about the 2 SAC bombers that collided over by Corley (south of Harlan) back in the early 60's. I remember air force guys walking our corn fields (and the neighbors as well) looking for wreckage and bodies.  Mostly over by Corley I think was where most was found. Don't remember a lot about it.

9 hours ago, Bushwacker1 said:

One of our FAA guy's by the name of Bob Hill flies a B-17. It is not based here in Nashville. He instructs Safety Classes through out the year. In fact we met with him 2 Saturdays ago and he showed the 909 crash that someone had taken

Mmmmmmmmmm, wondering, ask him if he was ever with us in the MN ANG on C-97s.

best, randy

14 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Mmmmmmmmmm, wondering, ask him if he was ever with us in the MN ANG on C-97s.

best, randy

I shot him a message about your inquiring. Robert C. Hill FAA Safety Manager out of BNA Nashville. I have his phone # if you would care to call him. I guess you can PM me and i'll be glad to give it to you.   

Hey Randy. Bob Hill called me back and said that he was not the guy, but said he has heard of him. Said that he lives in the Atlanta, GA area and was a test pilot , flew C 130 A's back in the day. Maybe that may help?

A B-25 & a B-17 bomber at the Lone Star Flight Museum at Ellington AFB in Houston are being retired from active duty. The last rides given were on January 25, 2020.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
44 minutes ago, czech said:

A B-25 & a B-17 bomber at the Lone Star Flight Museum at Ellington AFB in Houston are being retired from active duty. The last rides given were on January 25, 2020.

Prolly wanna be a bit more correctemundo in the phrasing" retired from active duty".  Those planes were retired from active duty (military) a l-o-n-g time ago, "retired from the LSFM rides program" would probably be more like it.  Like Bob's 909 was, liability, I'd assume/guess.

best, randy

On 1/29/2020 at 10:27 AM, Randy Sohn said:

Yup, heard on WNAX radio about many of those crashes.  And thinking now about the SUX airport, it was one that used to pass thru a lot when I was still flying for North Central.  IIRC, Salix or Sloan was one of the marker beacons on the ILS to runway 32 at SUX, I forget now.

best, randy

Salix.  I can see the outer marker from my place one mile east of Salix where I now live when the fields are bare.

Ron

1 hour ago, Ron Cook said:

Salix.  I can see the outer marker from my place one mile east of Salix where I now live when the fields are bare.

Ron

Ah-so, copy-copy!  Knew it was one of those but been a long time ago now.  Halfway recall ferring a CV 440 or 580 out'a there also after they rebuilt it, for the life of me I can't recall now where for sure.  Meb'be it was that one that was screwed up landing at Norfolk?  Ferried so many that meb'be they all sorta get lost to memory.  Mmmmmm, nope, guess another one, the one at OFK had been bellied into a farm field but meb'be that was a DC-3?  Seem's'ta me, mebbe the farmer's name was Dave ?.

best, randy