And you thought you were having a bad day

When I worked at a construction dealer in the weld shop, I took part along with the other welder replacing the spade nose cutting edge on a quarry bucket for a Cat 992 loader. That appears to be a 994 in the above picture, but a 992 is a good sized machine as well. I believe it was a 19yd bucket. It's been a few years, but if I remember correctly, the bucket I welded on was 22 feet wide. The replacement spade nose edge was 4" thick, about a foot or so front to rear on each end, and tapering to about 3' front to rear in the middle, the "spade". This was a limestone quarry machine and had full chains as well. We burned a ton of gas cutting the old edge out and tapering the rear of the new edge and the bucket where it would join to get good penetration. When we were done with the tapering and fitting, we had a gap 4 inches deep and 4 inches wide to fill. Had to preheat the cutting edge to weld it so the weld would penetrate and hold, otherwise the weld will usually pull right off the surface of a GOOD cutting edge properly hardened. Also took a lot of gas to preheat that edge to 8 or 900 degrees or whatever it was to get the weld to bond. Used a LOT of 1/16" duo shield wire in that bucket as well, spools, and spools, and spools of it. Once we got everything set up we never stopped welding on it until it was done. Once we got the welding done, we had to bore holes through the edge to bolt the wear plates to. At $400 each and an entire row of them across the front, it was quite a project as well, since now to bore the 1- 1/8" holes through the 4" thick cutting edge we actually had to spot heat the edge in every spot where a hole was to be drilled,  to a certain degree where it would actually take the temper out of the edge to soften it enough to bore the holes through it. I think the replacement edge weighed around 3800 pounds. Been a few years, but I do have a few good memories of my days at the dealer and some of the welding jobs and other jobs that passed in front of me. Wish I had taken pictures now looking back. Broken, worn out body parts at a young age caused me to move along for something not as ruinous to the body.

• Like 1

Glad that didn’t happen to us when we were moving this vertical boring mill. If you look closely the two cable slings are simply hooked over two of the teeth. The mill weighs about 26K. 

9B0A8DFE-8E09-44D6-93AC-738CE58BCE42.jpeg

17FEC7E6-505F-499B-87E9-EDC667487080.jpeg

3 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

Glad that didn’t happen to us when we were moving this vertical boring mill. If you look closely the two cable slings are simply hooked over two of the teeth. The mill weighs about 26K. 

9B0A8DFE-8E09-44D6-93AC-738CE58BCE42.jpeg

17FEC7E6-505F-499B-87E9-EDC667487080.jpeg

Done that more than a few times with a spade nose bucket.  And it would be a heck of a time if it went. 

We run 992’s great machines scoop and dump 20+ tons in 26-30 seconds, 100ton in 5 buckets.     That’s what backed into my truck🙁

55 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

We run 992’s great machines scoop and dump 20+ tons in 26-30 seconds, 100ton in 5 buckets.     That’s what backed into my truck🙁

Ooof.   Big iron there.   Never worked on a 992, but they sure are beasts

Well it was a bad day.    We knew it had some cracks had been doing only easy digging till we could down it for repair.  The repair got pushed back a little to far.  074450FE-9552-407A-B7A7-803B44D2FD27.thumb.jpeg.761569d1a825d8a032bd515e9b6ead22.jpeg78FCC2D7-3C29-41F9-A464-96B72FFBA750.thumb.jpeg.9362a83a823e0c60b20bc74d7d6f27e5.jpeg

Here's a shot of a bucket that didn't give 😳  😁

01-motivational-176.jpg.9d092fc822ecdd57ba528f501668ba64.jpg

I saw this trailer last Friday at the scales of a tire recycling factory. It was in sad shape. Any theories on how it happened? I got one! 

Sorry if the resolution may be poor I took it with a flip phone 

tire trailer2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1