I WANT A PULLING TRACTOR

Ive always wanted to pulling tractor and grew up on grandpas M . so i want a M , but  would a super m be better or the lower gears in the straight m. any thoughts.

• Like 1

In Tractor pulling, like any other motor sport, how well you do is directly proportional to how much you want to spend and things can snowball quickly. When I worked at the farm they had an oliver row crop 88 that I had a big part in restoring that I would take to the local county fair and pull. We never did anything to the tractor, it was bone stock. Amazingly it always pulled very well, I even placed with it a couple times. Afterwards we always talked about trying to lose some weight to try to get into lighter classes but we never did. I was happy with how it did and just pulled for fun. One thing I will warn you about if you never pulled before, once you feel that chain tighten up behind you for the first time you will be addicted. I will have a pulling tractor again someday.

• Like 3

Beware, it’s a slippery slope, I bought mine for 1800, drove it on the trailer, 5000 later it’s still an ugly tractor in need of a bunch. I, like you, had to have an M from a very young age, and I love it. 

Mines got a gas head, firecrater 4” pistons, distributor, worked over carb, worked over governor, I put new rubber all the way around, it’s got 3 sets of weights on the rear wheels, 2 sets on the front and various hangers. I took it to a couple transfer sled pulls a while back, only thing there that was serious competition in my weight class was a heavily modified 560 and I still think he was putting part of one tire off the scale. At a stone boat pull my nemesis is a very well set up JD50 

mine turns 65 on the dyno, I’ve yet to run out of power before I run out of traction , I believe my next big purchase is going to be a set of radial tires and do away with the harvest kings I put on . I think for stone boat type pulls you will be better off with a straight M and plan on engine work. Not sure how a super would do in comparison on a transfer sled

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Stroked G......................LOL:lol:

1100 cubes 

• Like 1

Who you going to pull against is what I look at , best to find the local pulls and go to them and see if they got rules for farm stock , pick out something to compete . 
I would like and Oliver 88 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Who you going to pull against is what I look at , best to find the local pulls and go to them and see if they got rules for farm stock , pick out something to compete . 
I would like and Oliver 88 

88s are like 560s gotta keep them wound up, i presume u guys have to pull with speed limits? 

we had a neighbor that pulled MMs he did VERY well with his all over/state fair etc........he had a couple gassers and one diesel 

• Like 1

@Dell

lots of good advice above. I have seen an H out pull a well built SM.  You have lots of homework to do. I myself had the M vs SM debate in my head and i walked away with the W6 in the long run. For me, MPH and weight where the deciding factors. 

Weight distribution and gear ratios will really be your deciding factor if your pegging an M vs SM.  Engine wise both will end up costing the same to build. 

Here's some questions to ask yourself when deciding on a horse 

* class type ( stock or mod/open not stock etc )

*class speed limit ( if any ) 

* Are T/A allowed. this can be a game changer.

* tire type

* room to grow to next level/ class.

*budget

*competition

*hauling your machine around.

*fun or serious competition for points standings

No one can tell you what to do, but we can sure help you not make the same mistakes we have in the past. 🙂

I have had the chance to pull a many different antique tractors in recent years, often against their respective owners in the same class, i often finish ahead of them with the same tractor.  this is what i find keeps antique tractor pulling fun, big wallets do not guarantee a win. it sure helps , but nothing out pulls experience and properly reading the track.  and of course a tap on the back from lady luck 🙂

They say pulling as addictive... they are NOT kidding, i hope you know what your getting into...😎

Al 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Not to wild now, have to use it still:lol:

Actually alot of this is depending on the rules in the area.............

you can still use it to beat the competition can’t ya! 
Rules quite frankly there ain’t any rules , not my words but the guys running the pull 

you got a G

you got an M

• Like 1

I think if you just stick to farmstock or the antique classes you will have more fun .I think if you want a nice strong cheaper tractor without going nuts would be grab an early m amd put a 450 engine in it. Then find some old tires with nice road wear on them, new tires will just make ya dig to deep. Put some 14.9s or if allowed 16.9s. Get it as light as possible and there ya go, make sure it's perfectly tuned. With that set up you can have fun without spending money like crazy and from there you will learn more every pull. Start small cheap and learn from there, way more fun then 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

i havent been to any pulls around here in a few yrs but one of the fellas claimed over 100hp with his stroked G 

Yes, probably in that neighborhood if you went all out............My brothers '53 G runs 75 hp and is nothing crazy.  We got a buddy with a GW that has alot of parts in it from Murphey's but its a flat back so no PTO, but I would hate to know the potential that could make when he gets it finished. Stupid things are geared to high for heavy classes though. 

All around best setup we had is a built C-281 preferably punched out the 4.250", good flowing head, carb work, dialed in on the dyno with the RPM's turned up and the governor tight, in a M-TA through 450 chassis with a good TA, new 15.5's SAT II's F-stones on 15" wide rims for the tracks here..................run 2nd gear until it gets too heavy running the TA, and drop to 1st and go until they call it quits.  

But you don't have to spend a million to have fun..............Local who might read this had more fun finishing last with the old A.  Just take it to run it, twin stick A's are a bad choice to pull.  But it probably still gave Zeke a wet dream.  LOL

IMG_1692.thumb.JPG.73db99c2e5d28f5afb6ddbf6c84c8b2b.JPG

• Like 3

I used to pull a bone stock Stage 2 Super M. We were allowed to run no larger than 16-9 tires in the 6000 lb class.  What really made it a competitive tractor was when I put the 16 inch tires on 16 inch wide rims.  Putting that little bit extra rubber on the ground made all the difference.  It only had about 55 hp but was a 1st  - 3rd place tractor all the time.  I cut the stock rims in half with a plasma cutter and welded in a spacer from a old pair a clamp on duals to make them wider.  Cost me almost nothing and worked well.  I had a old crusty pair of traction torque goodyears about 40% on it.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, O6'er said:

I used to pull a bone stock Stage 2 Super M. We were allowed to run no larger than 16-9 tires in the 6000 lb class.  What really made it a competitive tractor was when I put the 16 inch tires on 16 inch wide rims.  Putting that little bit extra rubber on the ground made all the difference.  It only had about 55 hp but was a 1st  - 3rd place tractor all the time.  I cut the stock rims in half with a plasma cutter and welded in a spacer from a old pair a clamp on duals to make them wider.  Cost me almost nothing and worked well.  I had a old crusty pair of traction torque goodyears about 40% on it.

Tires are a strange thing.......I like Firestones since they are used here for other things, but had great luck with old 45 degree tires, and Safemarks that weren't worth a crap in the field work really well here on the track.

• Like 2

if you want to go lower budget and have fun my dad has a cub puller my nephews pull with in 650/750/850 classes i think its like 10hp or something single cyl kohler 

the can only go so fast also and have tire size limits too

usually won by inches - i think the best they have ever done is top 15 a couple times but thats about it 

• Like 2

I started out with “farm stock” and now......... burns alky and about 2700hp 😎   And this one could be had ..... as I'm building a new component and stepping up to 3 chargers

247C88EC-79BB-4ED6-A2F3-DB036FAA1F7D.jpeg

Edited by Killer Red Mater
added txt
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I started out on one of dads farm tractors over 30 years ago. Pulled in dyno classes for a few years.  Pulled antiques for a few years then for a few years I watched and didnt pull.  About 6 years ago a friend asked me to bring one of my tractors and support the local pull they were trying to get going.  I didnt give it much thought but it only took one hook.  I built this and having the time of my life with some great friends.

D78F2EF5-8826-4190-B231-AD95356C53DB.png

• Like 3

I have around 3500 into this tractor and I pulled 1 year so far, i did good had fun, got some 1st got some 4th amd a bunch in between. I dont plan on going bigger, its fun for the whole family, and with a smaller rig less time worked on it between pulls. One day when kids older I will plan on building a 3500lb puller that the kids can pull, probably a sc with a c153Screenshot_20190901-195003_Snapchat.thumb.jpg.bc8f60706a0e96cab2b8012ad7e67177.jpgScreenshot_20190728-134045_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6c6cc601816f63d718b1fa4c26c66c5d.jpg15803103639323402027668301111202.thumb.jpg.087146588d7cb953b9f8cf9158f1eb21.jpg

• Like 7
17 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

if you want to go lower budget and have fun my dad has a cub puller my nephews pull with in 650/750/850 classes i think its like 10hp or something single cyl kohler 

the can only go so fast also and have tire size limits too

usually won by inches - i think the best they have ever done is top 15 a couple times but thats about it 

That’s the best way to start pulling ,they learn so much about the physics of traction that way. Set up the weights on  10 and it will out pull the average 16 , 

I did not like to pull against kids either cause they got a real advantage. I had to get over getting beat fair and square . Learned a lot that way and far less expensive . 
When I walk around the pits I ask ,How did you get started in pulling ? If the tell me they started pulling lawn stocks and moved up , I known they are pretty good. If they offer they use to pull dead weight they are very good ?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

That’s the best way to start pulling ,they learn so much about the physics of traction that way. Set up the weights on  10 and it will out pull the average 16 , 

I did not like to pull against kids either cause they got a real advantage. I had to get over getting beat fair and square . Learned a lot that way and far less expensive . 
When I walk around the pits I ask ,How did you get started in pulling ? If the tell me they started pulling lawn stocks and moved up , I known they are pretty good. If they offer they use to pull dead weight they are very good ?

That is a crew of its own here.................They were really hot here for awhile.  Some of those guys took things really serious, and I mean really serious.  But it has seemed to die off, they still have garden tractor pulls around here but nothing like it was.  The larger tractors were about dead for awhile but have seem to be making a comeback, like anything else, the frequency and number of pulls seemed to hurt turn out, cut the number back and people seem to look forward to it and turn out.  

• Like 2
19 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Tires are a strange thing.......I like Firestones since they are used here for other things, but had great luck with old 45 degree tires, and Safemarks that weren't worth a crap in the field work really well here on the track.

Curious what ply rating were the safemarks ? 👀

• Like 1

If you want to learn about pulling before you start spending your money, I would suggest helping so old puller.  They always are glad to have help throwing weights, pulling them around the pits and just riding along on the way to and from the pulls.  You be amazed how much valuable information they will share once they know they can trust you.  Before I built my tractor I spend 7 years helping out a gentleman who has pulled for 30 plus years.  I learned a lot.  now that I am in my upper sixties, I would love to have a young person that want to help out.  I would gladly share information to help them out.  

Annotation 2020-01-06 124712 (1).png

• Like 3