Fiat tractors

Michael Halsall

A general question. Fiat tractors were sold in the US under the Hesston brand name. Were Fiat tractors sold previously under FIAT brand before that in the US?                                                                      Does anyone here own a Hesston or FiatAgri tractor?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Fiat were sold here in Australia and were considered excellent tractors in their day. With all the "corporate chess" that went among tractor manufacturers in the last decades of the twentieth century it's hard to know who's who now - think of Case New Holland nowadays who own the "Case" and "IH" names or the "McCormick" name now owned by Landini!

An interesting and complicated subject! 

Regards from Michael H.?

Allis Chalmers 5050 was Fiat, 6060-6080 were Fiat from the flywheel back and some Cockshutts were Fiats 411? maybe ? White 2-60 probably many more 

Not many European tractors were considered topnotch around here .  more of an average tractor 

10 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Surprised nobody brought it up yet.  Fiat was sold in the US under the Oliver name in the 70s.  Neighbor had one.  

exactly the same tractor as the Cockshutt except for the color

Used to be several Hesston tractors around here in the early/mid 1980s. I can remember 3 dealers around here rather close...the IH dealer in Miller(Chipman's), IH dealer in Huron(Olsen's), and the Massey/Versatile dealer about a mile from the farm where I grew up(A & F Inc. of Blunt, SD). There was another one a couple hours south of me in Burke. Most of them were 100-120HP around here. They had gearshift levers in the dash immediately behind the steering wheel on each side-one for the range transmission, the other for the speed transmission. Then they had a lever on the floor for a shuttle shift...mechanical shuttle shift. 

Guys that had them always claimed they ran cheap on fuel. Probably not a nice as an IH or Deere of that vintage, probably comparable to a lot of the Ford tractors in that time frame. The dealership down in Burke had a longtime mechanic that knew those things inside and out...and always seemed to know where to get parts for them. I haven't been involved with them for probably 20 years or better now.

The Hesston tractors were probably the first thing I can remember that used the Fiat "leaf logo" that would later be used by Hesston haying equipment and is now used by New Holland for their corporate logo...in a blue version.

Yep, that's the style we had around here as well. Funny, I don't ever remember a 2wd one, they all had MFD IIRC. At that time we didn't have a lot of MFD tractors around here, that came later in the 1980s with the Magnums and later Deere 50 series tractors showed up.

One thing I remember about them was that farmers claimed at the time that a large part of Fiat was owned by Col. Khadafi, the leader of Libya that was an enemy of the US and President Reagan at that time. Don't know if that was ever proven by anybody; however it just seemed like that was one of the old wives' tales that everybody claimed.

Remember one large farm/feedlot had 4-5 of them for years for feeding cattle in the winter and putting up hay in the summer.

I can't think of anybody still running them anymore, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SDman said:

Yep, that's the style we had around here as well. Funny, I don't ever remember a 2wd one, they all had MFD IIRC. At that time we didn't have a lot of MFD tractors around here, that came later in the 1980s with the Magnums and later Deere 50 series tractors showed up.

One thing I remember about them was that farmers claimed at the time that a large part of Fiat was owned by Col. Khadafi, the leader of Libya that was an enemy of the US and President Reagan at that time. Don't know if that was ever proven by anybody; however it just seemed like that was one of the old wives' tales that everybody claimed.

Remember one large farm/feedlot had 4-5 of them for years for feeding cattle in the winter and putting up hay in the summer.

I can't think of anybody still running them anymore, though.

The owner of the 2wd was a cousin of moms. He was pretty handy fellow. You couldn’t get spindles or wheel bearings for front end so he put a 1370  case front end under it. Last tractors around here guys were taking down to South Dakota to have fixed but that was 15 years ago.

I have a NH 7635 which is a blue FIAT.  It has been a good tractor for me so I am a FIAT fan.   Some CaseIH models were also FIAT.    Many of the parts on these tractors I am sure interchange with the older models as the tractors have not changed much.  I have a 12 spd tranny with two speed high/low and mechanical shuttle.   Most older Hesston/FIAt  have a 12 spd as well so it is likely they are the same transmission.

There were a few hesston fiat tractors around here but they were utility tractors, probably 60hp. There weren't many complaints but I don't see them anymore.

There were alot of the small imported olivers here. They were well liked but I thought they came from Romania.

Thx-Ace

Anybody ever see one this small? I put about 15-20g of fuel through it a year, every year, for about the last 30.  It's a 3cyl. Long/Fiat Allis/Oliver/Hesston/UTB.  Smaller than a orange 5050 or green 1265, but it's one tough little bugger.   My Grandfather had a 5050 new and the neighbor had a 1265 new. I would have liked to been able to buy them but I as young when they were sold.   Big?  No.  Medium? No.  Handy? Yes. There are four rakes and a brush hog behind that spreader down the barn floor. 1466 won't fit in the barn door to back them in.   I've never seen a large 100+ Hp sized one like you guys are speaking of.,  would the Zetor name fit in there? 

image.jpg

I have a White 2-60 that has been more abused than used by the neighbors I got if from. So I picked up a Oliver twin to the White it that has about 6000 hours and drive train trouble to have some parts. But Kubota MU 7040 Utility is the same engine block and transmission case. The axles both front and rear are very different,but the rest is identical. Never had to do any work to ether other than change oil,but other than casting marks and names they look the same. The Kubota is 15 years newer and on Nebraska tractor test is rated 2 to 4 horsepower more. The exhaust of both has a similar smell that is very distinct. Has had my curiosity up to know if pistons and such would really interchange.

Fiat tractors were sold in the US under many different brand names. The closest brand to mainstream being Hesston of course.

Anybody remember "Agri-Power" brand tractors? One of the places that our bus picked up a kid at had a new Agri-Power 7000 or 8000 with a loader and a Year-A-Round cab painted to match. I thought that tractor was pretty cool. Of course I was 8 when I first saw it.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Fiat tractors were sold in the US under many different brand names. The closest brand to mainstream being Hesston of course.

Anybody remember "Agri-Power" brand tractors? One of the places that our bus picked up a kid at had a new Agri-Power 7000 or 8000 with a loader and a Year-A-Round cab painted to match. I thought that tractor was pretty cool. Of course I was 8 when I first saw it.

One of the neighbors had a Agri power. They used it for Raking hay and stuff like that. I think his fil bought it new 

16 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Anybody ever see one this small? I put about 15-20g of fuel through it a year, every year, for about the last 30.  It's a 3cyl. Long/Fiat Allis/Oliver/Hesston/UTB.  Smaller than a orange 5050 or green 1265, but it's one tough little bugger.   My Grandfather had a 5050 new and the neighbor had a 1265 new. I would have liked to been able to buy them but I as young when they were sold.   Big?  No.  Medium? No.  Handy? Yes. There are four rakes and a brush hog behind that spreader down the barn floor. 1466 won't fit in the barn door to back them in.   I've never seen a large 100+ Hp sized one like you guys are speaking of.,  would the Zetor name fit in there? 

image.jpg

Very similar to the ones sold in Australia, except they were orange not green and branded FIAT

21 hours ago, acem said:

There were alot of the small imported olivers here. They were well liked but I thought they came from Romania.

Thx-Ace

The Allis Chalmers 5040 was built in Romania so there may have been Olivers from there as well. I think they were built by UTB like the one above. they were very similar if not the same as a Fiat. I owned a Oliver 500 that was actually a David Brown

I used a White 2-60 FWA with FEL years ago to move dirt. I was very surprised by the tractor. I don't know how many hours they went or how much maintenance it needed but it was a little workhorse. I see them for sale occasionally and they still bring big bucks , I would love to won one

white.jpg

Fiat tractors were the ugly duckling of tractors they were kicked around from brand to brand like a redheaded step child  there's afew of the hesston versions around here but I pity anyone that owns them 

3 hours ago, hillman said:

The Allis Chalmers 5040 was built in Romania so there may have been Olivers from there as well. I think they were built by UTB like the one above. they were very similar if not the same as a Fiat. I owned a Oliver 500 that was actually a David Brown

I used a White 2-60 FWA with FEL years ago to move dirt. I was very surprised by the tractor. I don't know how many hours they went or how much maintenance it needed but it was a little workhorse. I see them for sale occasionally and they still bring big bucks , I would love to won one

white.jpg

Overhauled a 2-70 or 75 for a guy. They were iseki tractors. Thought Isuzu made engine but could be wrong

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Overhauled a 2-70 or 75 for a guy. They were iseki tractors. Thought Isuzu made engine but could be wrong

I think you mean 2-65 or 2-75 which were newer tractors. the 2-70 was 6 cylinder and the same style as a 2-105. Funny how so many of the failed companies sourced tractors from Europe and just rebadged them . 

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/category/1110/tractors-40-hp-to-99-hp/manufacturer/white/model/2-70

The AC 5040 was a Romanian UTB, which is what Long sold, they are built under license of FIAT, so essentially a Romanian copy of a FIAT. All the Oliver compacts numbered like 1250, 1265 etc, were true FIAT. The AC 5050 was true FIAT, as was the replacement for the 5040, the 5045, true fiat. The earlier White compacts were still FIAT, later models were Iseki Japanese built tractors using Isuzu engines. The White 2-70 is a refined 1655, waukesha engine. Great little tractors. Exchange rates had a lot to do with which countries tractor companies could buy from.