Jump to content
mader656

Who needs a off road tow truck.

Recommended Posts

At the start of the video, what does the guy mean when he refers to the trailer as a toy hauler? I’ve never heard that trucker jargon before, calling a trailer a toy hauler. Does he mean the guy with the F250 and trailer is a wanna be big time semi driver? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

At the start of the video, what does the guy mean when he refers to the trailer as a toy hauler? I’ve never heard that trucker jargon before, calling a trailer a toy hauler. Does he mean the guy with the F250 and trailer is a wanna be big time semi driver? 

A toy hauler refers to a camper trailer that has a ramp in the back so that you can load one (or more?) wheeler(s) or side-by-side(s) into the back to haul your toy(s).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked to me like digging the sand away from the tires did the most good plus the ford looks like a half ton and was high centered , I get nervous when I see someone pull out a nylon pulling strap with chain and hooks like that guy used also heard of two many flying thru windows and killing people

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

A toy hauler refers to a camper trailer that has a ramp in the back so that you can load one (or more?) wheeler(s) or side-by-side(s) into the back to haul your toy(s).

Ah so! OK I just learned something new today. Thank you kind sir. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realize it wasn't a tow truck with a winch. I've pulled lots of stuff out but always with a winch - way better than yanking with a strap. Tie the wrecker off to a tree if necessary and the winch will either pull it out or pull part of it off.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I didn't realize it wasn't a tow truck with a winch. I've pulled lots of stuff out but always with a winch - way better than yanking with a strap. Tie the wrecker off to a tree if necessary and the winch will either pull it out or pull part of it off.

Better yet, use a snatch block at the casualty and run the end of the winch line to the deadman so that you do not pull the winch vehicle in half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

do not pull the winch vehicle in half

I never worried about that but I have used a block to double the pull or to change the direction if necessary. It's funny that just thinking about it I was in fact using a block to double the pull for a box truck off road down an embankment. Had the wrecker chained to a tree on the other side of the road. That wrecker had a real low speed winch - would pull anything at a dead idle. Anyway, I remember engaging and sitting on the guardrail smoking a cigarette whilst watching the truck inching its way back to freedom. 200' of cable plus about 40' of chain. Must have been a 30 minute pull but it came out just fine and drove away!

Too bad I was young and stupid and smoked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, New Englander said:

I never worried about that but I have used a block to double the pull or to change the direction if necessary. It's funny that just thinking about it I was in fact using a block to double the pull for a box truck off road down an embankment. Had the wrecker chained to a tree on the other side of the road.

When K20s and F250s were popular as sling trucks with a 440 (Holmes Wrecker, not a Mopar) or a Man-O-War in the back it was not uncommon to see them with humpbacked frames.

1 Ton trucks were not immune either.

 I know of one fellow in the Cortland, New York area that had a Power Wagon with a wrecker that needed a welder and some plate steel to finish a job.  He had wrapped the front winch around an oak tree to anchor his truck while pulling on something large.

Class 8 trucks, single axle, tandem axle, and larger are susceptible to this as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

When K20s and F250s were popular as sling trucks with a 440

This happened to be a C50 with a Wellbuilt. Place I worked for had mostly F350s with Wellbuilts, no Holmes. I certainly pulled a lot with an F350 as well and never pulled one apart. I can see how a C20 or F250 of the day might be susceptible but they were generally used as parking garage wreckers in the city - boom just high enough to work with shortened slings. Three quarter trucks just too light for anything but passenger cars.

Using a block back to the truck also split the load path - half on the boom and half straight line on the frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, New Englander said:

I didn't realize it wasn't a tow truck with a winch. I've pulled lots of stuff out but always with a winch - way better than yanking with a strap. Tie the wrecker off to a tree if necessary and the winch will either pull it out or pull part of it off.

When you get way in on the back roads your lucky if you can get a wrecker company to come help you.

And trying to get a dual wheel wrecker with out flotation tires back on sandy and muddy roads can be a chore.

I did a recovery of a jeep stuck in mud on a road that was being put in for housing development.

I got stuck had to winch myself out and then winch the wrecker backwards in to the site to get close enough to grab on to the jeep what a PITA.

Any way that guy was dumb a$$ for taking a trailer back on those soft roads hopefully that cost him big   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Looked to me like digging the sand away from the tires did the most good plus the ford looks like a half ton and was high centered , I get nervous when I see someone pull out a nylon pulling strap with chain and hooks like that guy used also heard of two many flying thru windows and killing people

I've found so often in snow that simply digging the snow out from under the vehicle and from under the axles in particular  will make all the difference.  Dig for a while and simply drive out.  If I know I might get stuck in snow I like to carry a grain shovel and a square nose dirt shovel.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my work truck, heavy Dodge van, off the road in a soft shoulder and ditch. Tried to pull it out with a neighbor's MF165 but it just spun out. It was stuck good. Called a local wrecker. They sent a young kid because it seemed like an easy job. He set up his one ton wrecker for the pull but just drug the wrecker back to my van. He tried a few times, different angles and such. No success. I finally suggested that he tie the wrecker off to a huge tree across the road. He was afraid of damaging the wrecker, but it came right out. Amazing what a little experience and a big tree can do. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often watch this guys videos  but some appear to be staged just for his Youtube  channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, New Englander said:

Too bad I was young and stupid and smoked.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US Army issue folding shovel that EVERY GI had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...