SuperWD9

IH 990 haybine

Is there anything to watch for on a 990 with 9’ cutting width. It has one steel and one rubber roller. Wanting something cheaper and reliable to use probably 50-60 acres at most per year 10-20 per cutting.

• Like 1

When I was younger we ran a 1209 John Deere. Dad always tried to keep it in good shape. New sickle and guards every year. Keep the hold downs tight. Put new teeth in the reel where needed. One time the gearbox went out so the neighbor who was terrible at maintaining equipment offered his 990 to finish the field. Barely any teeth left on the reel. Sickle wore out. Guards broke and dull. Sickle driver head so loose it didn’t go the entire stroke. 

The dang thing still cut better than the John Deere POS

Good machine, had two. The rolls is the biggest concern. Not a real high speed cutter but cut a lot of hay with one over the years. 1190 is the newer version that had less pto problems with sharp cornering and would float better. New Idea also had versions of them. 990 had the same cutter head as the balanced head mower but a longer cutter bar. A lot better than a PT 10 Heston that we traded in. One of the reasons is if you plug, the rolls will separate so the plug usually goes through. 

Would anyone be able to tell me the width outside of tire to outside of tire?  

Still not sure what I am going to do yet I have to talk with the others first 

How far away is it? I pulled a New Holland 489 , 9' cut a little over 100 miles. Checked the hubs for heat after about 15 miles, all good and drove home. Took spare tires and tools to change tires

I know that it can be towed home but if I can I would rather put it on a trailer. Then I don’t have to worry about it hanging over to far one way either.

Is there anything to watch out for on these?