KCHERMAN

5234 trans oil

Hi cub cadet experts. I recently bought a 5234 fwd with a loader and 60 inch deck, I know these tractors had trans issues but it has low hours and everything works. I am going to change the oil in the transmission and hate to pay $300 dollars for cadet oil but I don't want to ruin the tractors tranny. What can I use? Thanks.

Cub Cadet fluid and IH Hy-Tran used to be one in the same, just different labels.  The CCC version wasn't dyed red.  The price is similar.  Hy-Tran might be slightly cheaper.  

I'm not doing an oil debate.  If you don't want to pay for the recommended oil, then buy whatever hydraulic transmission fluid you choose.  Personally I seldom use hy-tran because I don't think it's better enough to justify the cost either.  At least not in my equipment. (Note: I have ran IH equipment all my life and also worked for IH as a tech before opening my own mechanic shop.)  But ultimately that is my choice, and also yours. 

Correct me if I am wrong but hytran is a petroleum based oil and the later machines require synthetic?

Shell Rotella T6 5w40 is suggested on the Internet. You take your chances. The Hy-Tran price is cringe worthy as far as that goes. 

15 hours ago, KCHERMAN said:

Correct me if I am wrong but hytran is a petroleum based oil and the later machines require synthetic?

Hy-Tran is not synthetic oil no.  Just as reference, synthetic oil is also petroleum based oil, as the base ingredient in synthetic oil, is crude oil.  

Not sure what this has anything to do with the topic at hand though.... a 5234 is far from a new machine.  And nothing "requires" synthetic oil, unless you mean during its warranty tenure.  But usually manufacturers want to see at least similar type snd weight of oil, if not dealer sold fluids.  But even if something came from the factory with synthetic, you can replace it with regular oil if you so choose. Outside of this superficial answer, I'm not engaging in an oil debate. 

Synthetic oil generally just gives you more flexibility in extreme temperatures and extreme temperature changes. Like you can use any oil you want in a 350 Chevy, but if you want it to start without a block heater below zero...

What did you do? I'd rather put in Hy-Tran than motor oil.

I have one in the shop right now for transmission work Cub recommends drive system oil which is NOT Hytran  we are going to use a synthetic blend from Farm-oyl  called Agmaster2000 about 1/2 the price I think regular Hytran would work also If you don't plan on using it in below zero weather. The system is not very complex  but we want a low temperature flowability.