dads706

TSC and others.....

Here is some info about tsc. You have to sell what makes you money so here is the breakdown. The first store was 60 miles from us.

01580BEF-8A88-4472-9DDF-F16E2B677240.png

BCB2E0C2-AAE6-4669-8E13-8B2DA1ED60E3.png

• Like 1

I've said for a long time out local theisens is a cat/bird food store. Its bettter than nothing but sometimes not by much. Stand a better chance of running to several other stores in surrounding towns. All are theisens but some are much larger and better stocked.

We have a runnings and 2 fleet farms within an hours drive. I never go to TSC.

I used to never go to TSC for all the above reasons after they became "The stuff you need out here" store. Before that you could actually get tractor parts. Well now they opened up a store 5 minutes from me so I go periodically. The other week I went for a 10mm deep socket, they didn't have one.....:angry:

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I've said for a long time out local theisens is a cat/bird food store. Its bettter than nothing but sometimes not by much. Stand a better chance of running to several other stores in surrounding towns. All are theisens but some are much larger and better stocked.

Ain't that the truth! Almost never go to the local one I'm in Marshalltown 5 days a week. Talk about a no brainer.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IH 340 said:

You name your tractors too?

Ya ,,other wise my wife wont know wich machine I am talking about wen we order parts on line LOL:lol:

Mike

• Haha 2

We get it, Mike, we get it! ūüėā

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The TSC in our town isn't to bad if you realize what it's limitations are. We use it more like a hardware store as the options in that department are pretty slim. To be honest it's the only hardware store game in our town. 

Yeah tractor parts aren't very plentiful there but lets be honest anymore. Who's going to carry a ton of tractor parts and stuff like that? 

We were finishing up shelling corn last fall. I had a sealed bearing go out on the bottom auger shaft. 1 inch ID and i can't remember what the OD was but it was a common size. Went to a hardware store in another town that used to carry stuff like that. No Dice. They really don't carry much equipment related items anymore. Ended up going to the Case IH dealer and picking one up. It was there or running to Applied Concepts which is farther away than the dealer. Not much choices but its the way it is.

A little over a year ago Blaine's Farm and Fleet did put in a store about 15 miles away from us in a closed K-mart building. I am impressed with their selection of stuff.

I should find it and post some pages of it. I have a 1940 or 41 Tractor Supply catalog. John Deere D pistons were like $2.50. I was working on a 1928 D at that time and was wishing I could buy a set. I picked the catalog up a number of years ago at Boyde's antiques in the Black Hills. No dog or cat food in that catalog. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately that‚Äôs about the only thing that they can make money ūüíī, My kind of farm store would tank¬†

I worked at tractor supply for 5 yrs at end of high school until got better job. But if any of local farmers came in and needed something for the farm I knew we didn‚Äôt have. ¬†I said (tsc) tough crap charlie go to quality farm and fleet ¬† Which is now closedūü§¶‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ ¬† But in all respect they have went where the money is look at all the veterinarians at least in our area 1 out of 5 does large/farm animals rest dog and cat vets¬†

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JessePeden said:

I worked at tractor supply for 5 yrs at end of high school until got better job. But if any of local farmers came in and needed something for the farm I knew we didn‚Äôt have. ¬†I said (tsc) tough crap charlie go to quality farm and fleet ¬† Which is now closedūü§¶‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ ¬† But in all respect they have went where the money is look at all the veterinarians at least in our area 1 out of 5 does large/farm animals rest dog and cat vets¬†

More money in treating dogs cats so I don’t blame them.

Reading the above from Wiki, it does seem funny for a store named Tractor Supply, only 4% of their business would be retail of Ag products. But then, I look at the Ex-Ag community I grew up in, it makes sense. 40 yrs ago, the area was nothing but 40-160 acre farms, most of these had been the sole income for the families that lived on them. Now, the 80 acres my old man has is one of the few remaining farms in the area & by the looks of the recent signs that went up he will be the only one in a yr or so. There are 3-4 largish farmers renting  local ground but a larger portion has been developed into 5 acre hobby farms, some people keep a horse or two, they might have some chickens, or maybe plant a garden, but most of them just cut a lot of grass. I look at the CIH dealer I worked at, every year the number of tractors coming through went down, the Cub Cadets and other lawn equipment had basically taken over the shop when they closed the doors a few yrs ago, so no different than TSC.

we have tractor supply and orscheln around here, rural king is getting closer, they have one down in st louis so eventually i presume we will get one here, we have a couple old school local stores around here that are better for farm/ranch supplies but no one carries 90% of what you need you have to shop multiple stops 

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

Here is a 73 catalog

63B03DF7-6A1F-4A4F-933F-2006936B41AA.jpeg

931D1F82-F13B-4CC4-AD39-C0B8DB71679B.jpeg

3D2B3CD1-7BB8-4037-B593-D7668ED21774.jpeg

Torque Topper . Sounds neat

Until about 18 - 20 years ago around here we had Quality Farm & Fleet.  TSC bought em out and they've been TSC since.  Nothing much changed in-store except the name outside.

We have TSC in Michigan its nothing to crow about I grab some hardware every once in a while.  After working in Iowa and then later in Wisconsin and discovering Blain's Farm and fleet nothing compares.

1 hour ago, Cattech said:

Reading the above from Wiki, it does seem funny for a store named Tractor Supply, only 4% of their business would be retail of Ag products. But then, I look at the Ex-Ag community I grew up in, it makes sense. 40 yrs ago, the area was nothing but 40-160 acre farms, most of these had been the sole income for the families that lived on them. Now, the 80 acres my old man has is one of the few remaining farms in the area & by the looks of the recent signs that went up he will be the only one in a yr or so. There are 3-4 largish farmers renting  local ground but a larger portion has been developed into 5 acre hobby farms, some people keep a horse or two, they might have some chickens, or maybe plant a garden, but most of them just cut a lot of grass. I look at the CIH dealer I worked at, every year the number of tractors coming through went down, the Cub Cadets and other lawn equipment had basically taken over the shop when they closed the doors a few yrs ago, so no different than TSC.

I graduated from the same school as Catech in 90 and left for basic.  Want around much for the next 6-10 years.  Dang place turned into a suburb.

and they got a tractor supply, I was not impressed 

1 hour ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Until about 18 - 20 years ago around here we had Quality Farm & Fleet.  TSC bought em out and they've been TSC since.  Nothing much changed in-store except the name outside.

I remember Quality Farm and Fleet. The parent company actually went Bankrupt. TSC bought a lot of the empty storefronts but as far as i knew, they didn't buy Quality Farm and Fleet themselves.

55 minutes ago, 460 said:

We have TSC in Michigan its nothing to crow about I grab some hardware every once in a while.  After working in Iowa and then later in Wisconsin and discovering Blain's Farm and fleet nothing compares.

Heck of it is for you, up in the thumb there isn't any Blain's Farm and Fleet near you. Is there.

As i mentioned above. Blain's moved into a town near us about a year and a half ago. They bought a closed big K-mart store and fixed it up. Definitely a lot bigger selection than im used to. 

We have a Rural King in the western part of NC about 300 miles away. NICE STORE. I have bought I & T manuals from TSC and I refill my bolt bins from TSC as they have grade 8 bolts. We are fortunate to have Agri-Supply 25 miles from home. They are a regional farms store with locations in NC, Va, Ga, and I believe SC.

12 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Heck of it is for you, up in the thumb there isn't any Blain's Farm and Fleet near you. Is there.

As i mentioned above. Blain's moved into a town near us about a year and a half ago. They bought a closed big K-mart store and fixed it up. Definitely a lot bigger selection than im used to. 

Yes that is right, I follow Blains on FB but have yet to buy anything online from them.  When I was in Iowa I spent hundreds on all types of stuff that got trucked back to Michigan week after week.

12 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I remember Quality Farm and Fleet. The parent company actually went Bankrupt. TSC bought a lot of the empty storefronts but as far as i knew, they didn't buy Quality Farm and Fleet themselves.

That’s is correct I worked at tsc during this, tsc bought locations and some store fixtures in areas but not quality farm and fleet themselves 

26 minutes ago, 460 said:

Yes that is right, I follow Blains on FB but have yet to buy anything online from them.  When I was in Iowa I spent hundreds on all types of stuff that got trucked back to Michigan week after week.

Where are you at in the thumb? Im near Jackson which is the furthest East Blain's in Michigan. Everything else is west of us.