dads706

TSC and others.....

Is it just me or are the farm stores becoming horse and clothing stores (and the city guy with 6 chickens stores). Nothing against either of those folks, but 10 years ago you could walk in and buy a cattle head gate or a set of tire chains for the pickup or an 18.4x34 inner tube. Now "we can order one, but it will be 2 weeks".  But we do have a dozen different horse halters in assorted colors. How about a pink cowboy hat? I even saw a floresant orange lariat rope. What ever happened to just a lariat rope that you could tie up a cow, cover it in cow sh*t, throw it in back of the pickup, and in a pinch use it as a tow chain. 

Vent over.

• Like 5

went in the local TSC to get a oil filter for Cherry [our M] and  was told they dont cary tractor filters any more

the new supplier is an automotive supplier only :rolleyes:

got it at car quest 

Mike

• Sad 1

TSC sells what makes them money - tack must be very profitable, pet food too. Still better than nothing. When the lynch pin gnome has taken every one and all the hitch pins too, they've got them. A fair assortment of belts, hydraulic hoses and nozzles too. They at least have rodent bait by the bucket full rather than the 2 packs at HD.

Yes, lots of clothes!

• Like 2

Our local farm store Atwood’s has been that way for years and they have kept tsc out of the market forever, now we have a tsc coming in and I was looking forward to have a place to go again but apparently not.  They also cheapened up their products to save a buck and now it’s all soft metal junk  not to mention changing the store around once a month so nothing is in the same place and you have to ask someone where the **** they moved things to.  

6 minutes ago, Mike H said:

went in the local TSC to get a oil filter for Cherry [our M] and  was told they dont cary tractor filters any more

got it at car quest 

Mike

You name your tractors too?

7 minutes ago, Mike H said:

got it at car quest 

Mike

Then I guess it is no longer Tractor Supply Store but ?????????? Supply Store?   😒

Can't blame them for not stocking tire chains or large tubes if hardly anybody would buy them.

We just had a RK open in our town I’m in heaven haven’t been to Tsc since.

• Like 3

We have tsc and attwoods around here.  they are clothing, automotive, hardware, horse, and general rural lifestyle stores. I like them better than target and best buy!

they are here to make a living serving the rural minded residents and I'm ok with that.

I still like to show my old ts catalog that is full of tractor parts to the people at tsc occasionally. It bows their minds.

Thx-Ace

TSC is pretty much only store here in my town for some tractor and plow parts. Does seen like they going to more horse and general stuff. Was able to buy plow shears from there last year but was told when stock is out they would have to order in bulk and I would have to take all.

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

Can't blame them for not stocking tire chains or large tubes if hardly anybody would buy them.

33 minutes ago, acem said:

We have tsc and attwoods around here.  they are clothing, automotive, hardware, horse, and general rural lifestyle stores. I like them better than target and best buy!

they are here to make a living serving the rural minded residents and I'm ok with that.

I still like to show my old ts catalog that is full of tractor parts to the people at tsc occasionally. It bows their minds.

Thx-Ace

Yep, business 101. Rule #1 you have to make a profit! And if they are not selling enough plow shares they will stop selling them. Same thing with other tractor parts.

Rick

• Like 1

Our runnings next town over is fairly good, but yes it is slowly becoming a place for people to shop at before they go to a country music concert

1 hour ago, IH 340 said:

I’ve thought about naming our Cub “old red” but have never really put my foot down on it 

• Like 1

Our local Campbells Supply just got bought out by Running's. Will be interesting what happens. I bought plow shares just a few weeks ago for my 412. Got all my sprayer parts there as well.

• Like 1

as I am doing an inventory program this month,sitting among stacks of receipts,

in 90s we had CT in the region most any farm need in store or 2 days out and good used parts a call a way.

then the buy outs mergers brought a bunch (2 for 1)of QFF to area,they , fought CT, brought in mORE china %^$^% and  then merged/ folded as a group. tsc holdings won but walked from EVERY site until reorganized and started on new locals.

just did 8' of close out register tapes from 02 where every  state wide store closed.

in 05 local hole in wall car dealer , was told get out or go big,so took local farm for $400k and never looked back,next year they sold a lot to tsc.

by 07  TSC had no clue what any parts or most farm items were ,adults gone and revolvings kids in charge.  "pet" food and horsey nonsense, ever since ....stop 1 -3 x yr for maybe pallet of salt. in Dec. had liberty safes 50% below liberty, but they were derated 70% for lock and fire.

RK  about 3 hrs away ,opened in '16 and quickly down hill...cross of $1 store, dirty wally world or circus ,dark ,have to order everything,no adults or in charge,    cheap china 12'gates were over $400 ea, 4 years ago

today working on '99 receipts where the regional box lumber yards folded pre HD /lowe. those are "last" only choice and have to buy   "necessities"

Echo many other's above.

Like it or not businesses are driven by profit above all else.  I used to love walking into the local hardware who had (but hadn't had a request for a this-or-that in some time) in a box/bin and leaving w/ it.  Long gone, never to be seen again.

Now selections everywhere are based on the cycle of items offered to items sold.  If that the first doesn't meet some criteria of being too long sales it's discontinued. 

2 hours ago, IH 340 said:

my M is named Lindsey after Lindsey Vonn, because as my brother put it "she's big and sexy"

lindsey-vonn-wave-inlinejpg.jpg

IMG_9503.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Atilathehun99 said:

Echo many other's above.

Like it or not businesses are driven by profit above all else.  I used to love walking into the local hardware who had (but hadn't had a request for a this-or-that in some time) in a box/bin and leaving w/ it.  Long gone, never to be seen again.

Now selections everywhere are based on the cycle of items offered to items sold.  If that the first doesn't meet some criteria of being too long sales it's discontinued. 

today those profits are driven ONLY by hedge funds, corporate raiders and govt greed.,foreign china russia kickbacks

look whom actually owns the company,where the profit goes.

stock market now only lists 10% of companies that actually make something, 40% less over all ,and is otherwise fudged fluff for show and $$$$

as deans intentionally imploded it was just a side step to market share. and false regulation .no profit in competion

cattle are worthless BC they cant be processed fast enough (since it was not profitable to keep 1/2 the sites open) but $8 lb on sale in sm market is,.. BC they have too much on hand.

we have been promised a n gas check for 15 years.never inked a $1 and our lease has been sold 10x we know of.

seems a single foreign owned water supplier (.000001 retails for $2+) will soon control +- 50% of  NA , NG.

We don’t have a TSC close to where I live but the most I’ve ever gotten there is a few issues of Heritage Iron Magazine...... and that doesn’t happen a lot 

In the early '90s the closest JD store here was bought again. We went to the spring open house as we had a JD conservation. I went to the parts counter and asked for chisel points and they said they could order them. I said that I can go to Central Tractor and fill my pickup bed level full of them . 

The biggest thing I miss is the old CT catalog for used tractor parts was what every dealer and junkyard used to price their parts also. 

Tractor parts consist of one row now. Seats and some carb kits. Tires are expensive compared to the Mennonite guys.

Ironically I still refer to them as CT

• Sad 2

We have TSC here in Canada that is hit and miss. Have one about 20 minutes from me that I leave frustrated from every other visit. Not having the things I want, even the employees are getting simple!  🤬. You’re dumb, come work for us!

If I go to the one that is almost an hour away, in a bigger town, less farmers around that area too - I leave with what I want EVERY time!  Explain that!  The employees have a brain I their head too!  Very pleasant and knowledgeable and can even speak in complete sentences!!!   For me I find they are much more concerned about the customers needs that the one that is closer to me and more in the country. Sad actually!  Fools wouldn’t know difference between paint and Kool Aid 🤬🤬🤬

We still have a small Co-op type store too thankfully and they have farm stuff - but nothing of interest for wife there. So she waits in truck when we stop there. 

Tractor supply is ok in my opinion because I don't have the expectation that it's going to be an awesome farm supply place. It sure beats me having to walk through China Mart a 1/4 mile away. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mike H said:

got it at car quest 

Mike

I go to my  NAPA auto parts store carries wix filters for all old stuff alot more reasonably priced too 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bitty said:

In the early '90s the closest JD store here was bought again. We went to the spring open house as we had a JD conservation. I went to the parts counter and asked for chisel points and they said they could order them. I said that I can go to Central Tractor and fill my pickup bed level full of them . 

The biggest thing I miss is the old CT catalog for used tractor parts was what every dealer and junkyard used to price their parts also. 

Tractor parts consist of one row now. Seats and some carb kits. Tires are expensive compared to the Mennonite guys.

Ironically I still refer to them as CT

Central Tractor was great,OH kits and plow shares.