cwinn

T12 8ft led single pin florescent lights

Has anyone upgraded their T12  florsescent bulbs with the LED replacements where you do away with the ballast?? we have 3 bad ballast and 4 bulbs out. Don't want to waste money on old technology. Need some part numbers if ya have em. I dont really want to buy them from the internet. In case of trouble ,but I would if things were right.

We have these here at work, ballast bypass and they light up fully bright when cold! You can try local electrical supply houses and see if they have the equivalent.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/208599/LEDT-10072.html?cc=300&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInYnZs-iZ5wIVVoNaBR2uNQ2iEAQYASABEgLCFPD_BwE

Yup. Have done a couple now. Just go to menards or what ever local place you got. Several options now. Have bought bulbs with pigtails coming out of em with plastic pins that wire right to incoming power line as well as bulbs that clip into existing sockets with metal pins and take out ballast and wire around. Also are bulbs that will use existing ballast so be sure what your getting.

Have used Philips ballast bypass for T-8 replacement, have excellent luck with Philips not so much with other brands, we’ve done a lot of them, no complaints yet

If anyone needs any florescent bulbs or ballast let me know. I have a bunch I need rid of. I don't think they would ship well though so you need to come by. Thx-Ace

There is also this option, they are magnetic led strips, come with their own driver and are 4’ long, covers/diffusers are available too, if you have to bypass a ballast, installing these drivers are no more trouble, then they just plug in, 4 could be used in place of 8’ bulbs. Each pair of strips with driver was about 15 dollars, I think they are 2400 lumens each

CD3A634D-A5C8-473D-B601-0EDC4FFAB237.jpeg

D27380EA-AE56-42AC-8467-67925B6C921D.jpeg

23B891FB-B065-42E7-8CF5-EC4A4FC770A8.jpeg

793B6059-9B62-4293-94A4-9F499DD04029.jpeg

Watch the k rating on the led's. I think 5000k is natural light. I think some have a more yellow tint. Maybe VTFireman can give better answer.

4 hours ago, MarkG said:

Watch the k rating on the led's. I think 5000k is natural light. I think some have a more yellow tint. Maybe VTFireman can give better answer.

5000-6500 k is considered “daylight” it’s just dandy for industrial applications but most anyone is going to find it far too harsh for any home installation or office for that matter. You also want to be concerned with color rendering index, in order to get true color as seen outside in bright light you want a CRI above 8. Remember how red looked orange under fluorescent light in days of old? That’s because the CRI rating of old fluorescent lights was very low. In big box stores often they will sell bulbs in the 7 range of CRI which is ok, but not great. 

LED will vary but you would normally find all that info in the model of fluorescent, LED will be similar. For instance and FO25/835/eco/T8 would be 25 watt CRI rating of 8 3500 kelvin bulb in T8 diameter 

a kelvin rating of 2700-3500 is what the average person is happy with in their home, I personally prefer 4000 or so, but I’m weird like that, anything 5000 and up is going to look blue. 

dont make the mistake so many do and mistake kelvin rating for lumens , many get all hung up on if it’s bluer light it must be way brighter, perhaps reflectivity is a shade better (maybe)but you are concerned with lumen output for brightness, kelvins for color temperature and CRI for accurate color representation 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

peterson parts has them, i called him and ordered some, put them over the main work area in the shop, have to remove the ballast tho.

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

There is also this option, they are magnetic led strips, come with their own driver and are 4’ long, covers/diffusers are available too, if you have to bypass a ballast, installing these drivers are no more trouble, then they just plug in, 4 could be used in place of 8’ bulbs. Each pair of strips with driver was about 15 dollars, I think they are 2400 lumens each

CD3A634D-A5C8-473D-B601-0EDC4FFAB237.jpeg

D27380EA-AE56-42AC-8467-67925B6C921D.jpeg

23B891FB-B065-42E7-8CF5-EC4A4FC770A8.jpeg

793B6059-9B62-4293-94A4-9F499DD04029.jpeg

Do these simply replace the bulb in the same holders, or are you doing more than bypassing the ballast?

15 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Do these simply replace the bulb in the same holders, or are you doing more than bypassing the ballast?

They just stick to the fixture, no holders necessary have magnets on the back, screws also provided if needed 

• Like 1

I replaced all mine in shop a few at a time because they of price I used the ones were you remove ballast. You have to do a little rewiring also they are instantly on very bright . 

No ballast LED's in garage.

-20 below and they fully light, immediately.

They are worth the time to change.

Got mine out of Menard's.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas ,ordered some today.

VTFireman- is there an 8’ LED T8 that uses existing ballast? Down the road my go to those in shop, and I’ve seen shorter ones that simply plug in the existing fixture as is. 

I installed the earlier mentioned magnetic strip conversion today, the picture with the bright on the right and dimmer on the left is old vs new, I’m impressed, they are upgrading strip lighting that actually had modern LED conversions in them, but the bulb style that utilized the T8ballast  they are a magnetic strip that each strip is 2200 lumens, so it brought the old 2000 Lumen strips to 4400, they are dimmable with just a conventional dimmer, (led rates of course) and are about 15 bucks for the set, driver, 2 strips and cover/diffusers. 

9A98F65E-3C6B-4EE3-8C5D-0182571CFFB0.jpeg

F9577F93-32C0-4243-93F5-31CBB24ABC8D.jpeg

5EAA4602-26A9-42D3-B3AF-BBD3EE447540.jpeg

A4AD183F-A11C-4DF1-BAB3-9BE70F7D9215.jpeg

47A6050E-A010-4FF9-B3ED-F897A2FD63AB.jpeg

0C7FE14E-C664-4087-BF6F-AE4882FA4A9A.jpeg

12D79330-9C31-4E6E-9D0C-923CB269BC26.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

Anybody seen led replacements for the t12 high output

Those I showed are probably equivalent, you just keep adding more, you can replace them for me strip for one bulb or like I did 2 strips per 1 bulb, if you have an 8’ use 4

2 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

Anybody seen led replacements for the t12 high output

Edison Lighting Supply (Edisonls.com) had a booth at the Sioux Falls farm show last week, they have them. $55 a bulb I think. 

On 1/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, vtfireman85 said:

There is also this option, they are magnetic led strips

I wonder how directional the light is and if they would be a distraction or help if stuck to the lift posts where the carriage wouldn't hit them? Opinion?

Edited by New Englander
tense

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

I wonder how directional the light is and if they would be a distraction or help if stuck to the lift posts where the carriage wouldn't hit them? Opinion?

The issue I see is the driver needs to be in an enclosure, theoretically you could extend the low voltage portion and use the diffusers it might not be too bad, 

15 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

The issue I see is the driver needs to be in an enclosure, theoretically you could extend the low voltage portion and use the diffusers it might not be too bad, 

What kind of money? If cheap enough I'll experiment. It would be easy enough to run the wires from the ceiling.

Sorry, I see you quoted 15 in original post.

Where sourced?

These lights were about $88 on Amazon I think as my brother ordered them. They seem to light more than the LED replacements in our shop. We only did some in the shop and didn't like them as much. They have plugged ends I ran outlets in my basement for them and like them. I should have had one more run in the basement but the beam made it a logistical nightmare so I only ran two rows 

IMG_20200128_185057025.jpg

IMG_20200128_185052664.jpg

IMG_20200128_185707307.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/23/2020 at 8:47 AM, acem said:

If anyone needs any florescent bulbs or ballast let me know. I have a bunch I need rid of. I don't think they would ship well though so you need to come by. Thx-Ace

From what I see, florescent fixtures and bulbs they're gettin' to be like tube TVs.

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

What kind of money? If cheap enough I'll experiment. It would be easy enough to run the wires from the ceiling.

Sorry, I see you quoted 15 in original post.

Where sourced?

CED, there’s one in Dover and one in Manchester, those prices may be an efficiency Vermont instant rebate. I’m not sure about that but NH may be has their own rebates?