Sign in to follow this  
FarmerFixEmUp

Welded Wedge Lock Hub?

I'm working on a Hydro100 and just noticed the right rear hub has been welded and patched. How does a person ever break one of these? I think it would take a heck of an impact to break that.  

KIMG0687.thumb.JPG.6075cbd7d675de42c2c001aea44da97b.JPGKIMG0688.thumb.JPG.07d5546cc870389277f1c665ad87d1c9.JPG

• Confused 1

Hot ax the axle off too? In the words of my old man looking things like this over................... Is the hood on it yet?:lol:

It's not as uncommon as you think. I've had two different tractors in the shop in the last year or two with cracked castings. This one was the least cracked.

1464064673_IMG_15581.JPG.55591780629ac9271a0e38a3016c48b8.JPG

Travis

Those corners make great stress risers.....

5 hours ago, Sparky said:

It's not as uncommon as you think. I've had two different tractors in the shop in the last year or two with cracked castings. This one was the least cracked.

Travis

Would this happen if using the tractor with the wedges loose?  

Or too tight?

11 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Would this happen if using the tractor with the wedges loose?  

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Or too tight?

In my experience, turning the power up and weighting the tractor down almost always finds the weakest link.

Travis

I believe running on steep hills makes them crack a little easier too. I’ve heard of letter series castings breaking back in the day from tons of side draft

Mounted corn pickers in mud were hard on letter series centers here, but the only problem I ever heard with newer centers, and those are the clamp type mind you, was running Clamp on duals on them and pulling the guts out of the tractor, centers just couldn't handle it.  Never seen wedge locks crack, but again, not many around here either as bigger tractors weren't sold in huge numbers by the time the wedges came out.  

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 3:22 PM, Sparky said:

Travis

Is that why it was in your shop? It doesn't  look like the wedge is loose or moving on the axle. I wonder how long it was ran like that?

20 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Mounted corn pickers in mud were hard on letter series centers here, but the only problem I ever heard with newer centers, and those are the clamp type mind you, was running Clamp on duals on them and pulling the guts out of the tractor, centers just couldn't handle it.  Never seen wedge locks crack, but again, not many around here either as bigger tractors weren't sold in huge numbers by the time the wedges came out.  

Lot of M, SM, 400, 450, 560 even 350 & 460 with heavy rear axle option went under pickers, mostly 2M-H, few 2M-E,  heard of a few broke axles but never rear wheels.  But lots of wheels broke with clamp-on duals.  Dad put clamp-on's on the '51M to plant corn,  and then made a set for the SH to plant with it.  Sure reduced slippage, compaction,  and didn't break any parts.  The SM-TA, 450, & 4010 got the direct axle duals.

12 hours ago, tractorholic said:

Is that why it was in your shop? It doesn't  look like the wedge is loose or moving on the axle. I wonder how long it was ran like that?

Actually, no, that's not why it was in the shop. And no, the wheel wasn't moving on the axle as far as I could tell.

Unfortunately, a broken wheel is never going to fix itself, and you know it's only going to get worse, so we replaced it.

Travis

My dad had a brand new 1086 in 1976, when I set the width with my uncle they split the casting almost in half, luckily in gave him a new casting free. 

54 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Lot of M, SM, 400, 450, 560 even 350 & 460 with heavy rear axle option went under pickers, mostly 2M-H, few 2M-E,  heard of a few broke axles but never rear wheels.  But lots of wheels broke with clamp-on duals.  Dad put clamp-on's on the '51M to plant corn,  and then made a set for the SH to plant with it.  Sure reduced slippage, compaction,  and didn't break any parts.  The SM-TA, 450, & 4010 got the direct axle duals.

Mounted New Ideas here broke axles, centers, and even acouple cases of the axle housings breaking at the outer bearings.  I would guess weight, mud, and hills with loaded wagons all had a play in it.  

Replaced one on our 966 years ago when all it did was tillage.  Plowing was really hard on the furrow wheels.

When dad's 1256 was new IH replaced half a dozen rear wheels on that tractor that cracked in that same spot.  Several other new 1256's in the area had the same issues, IH claimed they had a bad batch of wheels out at that time.  Didn't cost dad any to have them replaced other than the fact the tractor was out of commission until they were replaced.