Jump to content
Sires

656 w/o TA

Recommended Posts

Hello, I have a mid 1967 Farmall 656 diesel without the TA...supposedly from the factory. It also has the old/early style fenders, before the flat tops. Anyone know the rarity of the tractor w/o TA? How about where to get that information that I can dig a bit. Thank you in advance. Bill 507.269.4811

656.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think anything from the mta up thru the last tractor to have a ta could be ordered with the ta deleted if you wanted. Dont know how rare it is but i know there are various ones out there with no ta.

Others will chime in soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice looking tractor bye the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sires said:

Hello, I have a mid 1967 Farmall 656 diesel without the TA...supposedly from the factory. It also has the old/early style fenders, before the flat tops. Anyone know the rarity of the tractor w/o TA? How about where to get that information that I can dig a bit. Thank you in advance. Bill 507.269.4811

656.JPG

Was that from sleepy eye? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, exact production numbers of what tractor came with what option are not available to the public. It's not like Deere where you can send your serial number in and get a "certificate" with the exact date it was made, OEM equipment, options, etc.. Not that I believe the information you get back is accurate, and isn't just some scam to get your money by making you feel like your tractor is "special" because every tractor comes back as some rare option combination.

Don't know if IH simply didn't care to keep these records or if they were lost/destroyed.

Nobody really knows how many were made without TA. Probably not many as that was one of IH's main selling points on tractors at that time. Unfortunately that does not make it valuable. For IH fans the lack of a TA generally decreases the value of the tractor significantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a nice Farmall 504 Diesel that was TA delete from the factory.  I spent the $ to have a TA installed though, it made a different tractor out of it with the TA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 656 without a T/A would be almost as bad a a plain old M  someone must have been really cheap to want one without the T/A

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

A 656 without a T/A would be almost as bad a a plain old M  someone must have been really cheap to want one without the T/A

I agree. I have a couple 560's and the T/A is the handy part. Even on tractor rides when we go thru a town. A guy behind me last year had a JD 520 that he installed to aftermarket high speed overdrive gears in. At the rest stop he said me "I wish I had a T/A"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without a suffix letter S after the tractor serial number that should be the way it was built. Have no idea what it's worth without one from factory, but it looks in good enough condition anyway  to bring good money. Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing the tractor was ordered without fenders and those were added later......656 should have been factory flat top fenders (unless there was some super el'cheap'o option I'm not aware of)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

I agree. I have a couple 560's and the T/A is the handy part. Even on tractor rides when we go thru a town. A guy behind me last year had a JD 520 that he installed to aftermarket high speed overdrive gears in. At the rest stop he said me "I wish I had a T/A"

Have seen 520 and 50 jds do a lot of jumping at low rpms on hills and in towns, but the high speed gears are the only way they can keep up. They could use some extra power with those gears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

A 656 without a T/A would be almost as bad a a plain old M  someone must have been really cheap to want one without the T/A

Noooooooo kidding!  Our 686 has run countless hours in TA, either pulling a small square baler or pulling a Vermeer Twin Rake in 5th TA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

I'm guessing the tractor was ordered without fenders and those were added later......656 should have been factory flat top fenders (unless there was some super el'cheap'o option I'm not aware of)

IH parts catalog shows the clam shell fenders for the 656..the flat top fenders are listed as the "deluxe" fenders.. farmer or dealer may have ordered the clam shell fenders as they were probably lower cost. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without the catalog, I thought there may have been the possibility of a cheap option, so I added the disclaimer.  Thanks for confirming.

 If factory, not popular configuration for sure......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a popular config or option!  Flat top fenders with 4 lights vs 2 lights on the tractor hood...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. Factory flat tops were practically std. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the 656 came with an icb cab wich would explain the lights, 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

very possible Rusty... the side console lights would be a tractor with no fenders, clam shells or the ICB cab...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have a very hard time pulling the trigger on a red tractor with no T/A, (unless of course it were a hydro). Even if it were to go out, fix it with a new heavy duty unit and it will outlast me for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

I would have a very hard time pulling the trigger on a red tractor with no T/A, (unless of course it were a hydro). Even if it were to go out, fix it with a new heavy duty unit and it will outlast me for sure.

The guys that trash-talk about TA's have never spent a half a day in rolling hills on a TA equipped tractor. You can run that half a gear faster knowing you can pull the TA on hills and as soon as the engine regains RPM shove the lever forward again.  Green tractors I've run you end up running half a gear slower so you don't have to stop, downshift, climb hill, stop, upshift, until the next hill.

Watched the neighbor try to use his Power Director on his D-19 like a TA one day plowing.  That break in power going thru neutral had that tractor jumping up and down, popping wheelies, had to be really hard on parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

The guys that trash-talk about TA's have never spent a half a day in rolling hills on a TA equipped tractor. You can run that half a gear faster knowing you can pull the TA on hills and as soon as the engine regains RPM shove the lever forward again.  Green tractors I've run you end up running half a gear slower so you don't have to stop, downshift, climb hill, stop, upshift, until the next hill.

Watched the neighbor try to use his Power Director on his D-19 like a TA one day plowing.  That break in power going thru neutral had that tractor jumping up and down, popping wheelies, had to be really hard on parts.

Doc E, I'm an AC guy but will readily admit the TA is much smoother than the Power Director.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Doc E, I'm an AC guy but will readily admit the TA is much smoother than the Power Director.

I have some D series Allis's as well. I think the power director is more robust and Allis needed the neutral between Hi/Low so they could keep the PTO running live. Kind of a dumb idea. The feathering ability of the power director is nice on a baler. But I agree if your plowing and had to pull from Hi thru neutral to Lo you need the speed of Superman pulling that long lever not to get thrown over the hood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad's new 65 model 656 gasser was sold with no fenders at all.  Tricycle front end, single hydraulic.  It did have TA and a fast hitch but that was about the only options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 12:50 PM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

The guys that trash-talk about TA's have never spent a half a day in rolling hills on a TA equipped tractor. You can run that half a gear faster knowing you can pull the TA on hills and as soon as the engine regains RPM shove the lever forward again.  Green tractors I've run you end up running half a gear slower so you don't have to stop, downshift, climb hill, stop, upshift, until the next hill.

We got "tards" here with TA equiped red ones that do the same thing.............I watched countless guys plowing here with IH's that would run hilly fields in one direction in say L4, and then run the other direction that required a climb in L3, shifting at the headlands.  Stupidest thing I ever seen, but the local dealer here at the time hired acouple local guys to assemble equipment and all they did was run their big mouths about how if you used the TA it was going to go out, so alot of old guys never touch it here even still.  The neat thing is the mouth pieces knew nothing about a TA either then or now.  

Us on the other hand it was sorta of a sport............using and pulling the TA handle............like who has the fastest 6 gun because we wanted to get as much done as possible.  But with the 560 gas, you learned you better have some speed pulling the "Oh Sh*t handle" becuase unlike the 4 cylinders that would lug through, once you lost it, it didn't come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this is a 1967, it could be ordered with flat tops, crown fenders (clam shell) or fender delete. Does yours have the flasher light bracket and also your tachometer will tell a story, can you get a picture of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...