acem

it's snowing in arkansas, stupidity abounds

It's snowing.

We don't get snow here  very often, just s few times a year.The stupid people rule these events.

The grocery stores are emptied of milk and bread. Schools are closed. To listen to the news media it is an aocalypse.

They are forecasting 1/2 inch of snow changing to rain after noon...

Thx-Ace

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

1/2 inch isn't bad but for there I could see a lot of people going overbroad. When I was in El Paso, TX people went crazy when you got a light coating of snow. By noon it was pretty much gone.

• Like 1

Acem I grew up around Ozark still have quite a bit of family there I know all too well how crazy they get I live in south eastern Missouri now and they still go nuts up here have several truck drivers I work with that if they even start talking about snow they call out

Heck, Wisconsin is probably worse than that!  They now close school and cancel events the day before it starts snowing. 

Two storms ago they cancelled the kids basketball games and just about everything else that day and the storm went South and we got around 1" of snow.

• Haha 2

And it's raining in Nebraska. 

2020 so far is not following the rules any better than 2019

This part of the americas has the most problematic drivers at the best of times, our provincial insurer ICBC gets 900 claims a day BC wide, last week we started a 4 day run of cold and snow, there were 6500 claims called in over the four days, 70% were from the lower mainland, I drive two 4x4 vehicles, one is a dually ram and the other is a wrangler, I'm not slow but I also go with the adage drive to conditions, but i always have vehicles with summer or all weather tires passing me like they were bomb techs with a problem, stupidity yes but I think people just think everything in their lives is more important than others on the roads

12 hours ago, acem said:

It's snowing.

We don't get snow here  very often, just s few times a year.The stupid people rule these events.

The grocery stores are emptied of milk and bread. Schools are closed. To listen to the news media it is an aocalypse.

They are forecasting 1/2 inch of snow changing to rain after noon...

Thx-Ace

Used to live in Memphis , boy it was like that. 🤷‍♂️👀 relax it will melt tomorrow

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

It was slicker than snot on a brass doorknob this morning , by noon it had warmed up enough to thaw it and then the rain stopped thank goodness.

Oh my!

It's an Arky A-Pack-O-Lips!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dasnake said:

i always have vehicles with summer or all weather tires passing me like they were bomb techs with a problem,

Let me guess... On their cell phone at the same time.

The roads were clear by the time we were done feeding cattle around 10 am so we went to Fort Smith to go shopping. It was great, the streets and stores were almost empty.  We made it back just before dark and it is starting to ice up on the trees and power lines.  That bothers me more than snow... Thx-Ace

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Let me guess... On their cell phone at the same time.

Wow, do you have the same thing going on on the eastern side, woulda thunk there would be idiots everywhere. I thought we were special.

• Like 1

I proceeded to work with my usual disregard for the posted speed limit and all was well. Seems like there are two types. Those who drive the same regardless of the weather rain,snow or ice be dammed. Then you have those who drive 5mph and get stuck on hills because they have no momentum. Common sense - it's not as common as it once was. 

• Like 1

You know your in trouble in the hills of PA when you get behind car with Florida plates in a snowstorm.

Toast

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Wow, do you have the same thing going on on the eastern side, woulda thunk there would be idiots everywhere. I thought we were special.

We see your general drivers daily.  Sorry...BC drivers are.....well we call BC plate a disabled driver pass.  🙂

Cuz wife works in Abby and lives here.  After 2 years she came up to me and said "good grief your right we are terrible drivers in Canada! "

• Like 1

Well it went from rain to heavy wet sideways blowing snow that was building up on the roads. Not much traffic but those who were out weren't going over 45 and had their flashers on. Took me an extra 1:15 to go 200 miles in the fuel hauler.

The idiots stayed home tonight🎉🏆😄

My daughter is a careful driver and drives an AWD car. I guess she learned from me to keep an adequate distance at all times, adjusted for the conditions. She came in the house during the last storm a little hot under the collar, usually calm and quiet.. Her comment: FWD F150 drivers think they're f'ing invincible, had a couple almost kill me changing lanes and loosing it in the slush between lanes.

There were a few more similar comments but I get it. Brand new half tons with no weight go fine in the snow but the weight distribution is terrible and they don't stop or handle worth a $hit. Idiot drivers who only have them to tow the boat, which they can't back down the ramp without help, just have no idea until they cause a wreck or end up in the ditch.

• Like 1

'I have 4wd, I can go anywhere!'

That's  the thought process of most 4wd drivers here when we get real snow or ice (not very often) and in mud (common).  they can't understand why I can drive by them with 2wd while they are  stuck/slid off the road. Driving skills and caution are important.

I an just wet here. the higher elevations have ice with the related power outages.

Thx-Ace

• Like 1

It is honestly a bit of a running joke up here when we watch the news reports from the south about everyone going to get emergency provisions and getting stuck on the highway from 2" of snow. We pretty much have to be measuring snow in feet to cancel much of anything from just snowfall unless there is a "dangerous wind chill" or bad visibility. Just a different world; we all freak out if there is a tornado advisory for possible conditions and the complaining starts around here at about 85 degrees it is too hot so all what you are used to but it does seem weird from our perspective when we are used to 250+ inches of snowfall each year that the worlds ends with 1" 😁.

1 hour ago, acem said:

'I have 4wd, I can go anywhere!'

That's  the thought process of most 4wd drivers here when we get real snow or ice (not very often) and in mud (common).  they can't understand why I can drive by them with 2wd while they are  stuck/slid off the road. Driving skills and caution are important.

I an just wet here. the higher elevations have ice with the related power outages.

Thx-Ace

Just try being a plow truck driver on a interstate 15' main plow,10' wing.People absolutely want to get by you at a high rate of speed.Do they think the state has me spreading salt just to waste money.

You think most cars have outside temp gauges on them,if it is 27 degrees and raining think maybe they should slow down and not pass the plow truck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jacka said:

not pass the plow truck

While going to school one of my many jobs was driving a salt truck on route 128 around Boston at night - right on the coastal rain/snow line which meant ice. Dummies would pass and maybe realize it was slick and fall back behind or keep going to be found in the median a half mile ahead or worse get in front and brake! I never could figure them out. The other ones I couldn't figure were the ones who would crowd the chute and get pelted with rock salt. That's why there's a light on it!

21 hours ago, sandhiller said:

It’s my understanding that several of the areas in Nebraska that are desperately trying to recover from last years floods are destined to suffer from a repeat. 

The water table hasen’t receded enough and there is still standing water in places that will surely flood again with even the slightest amount of rainfall. 

Im fearful that this spring will be another devastating environmental disaster for much of Nebraska, 

4 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

It’s my understanding that several of the areas in Nebraska that are desperately trying to recover from last years floods are destined to suffer from a repeat. 

The water table hasen’t receded enough and there is still standing water in places that will surely flood again with even the slightest amount of rainfall. 

Im fearful that this spring will be another devastating environmental disaster for much of Nebraska,

4 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Im fearful that this spring will be another devastating environmental disaster for much of Nebrask

We are sure in new territory weather-wise. 

They are still running that pump 24/7 on 83 south of Valentine to keep the water from coming back up over the road.

• Sad 1

And I thought TEXAS had the worst drivers in America. When we first moved to Texas I coined the expression  "No one is allowed to get on the freeway ahead of a Texan".

If you want to be cruising at 80 MPH and get run over by a semi come to I20 in Central Texas.

Now after 27 years of residency,  I am a Texan.

7 hours ago, cgage said:

It is honestly a bit of a running joke up here when we watch the news reports from the south about everyone going to get emergency provisions and getting stuck on the highway from 2" of snow. We pretty much have to be measuring snow in feet to cancel much of anything from just snowfall unless there is a "dangerous wind chill" or bad visibility. Just a different world; we all freak out if there is a tornado advisory for possible conditions and the complaining starts around here at about 85 degrees it is too hot so all what you are used to but it does seem weird from our perspective when we are used to 250+ inches of snowfall each year that the worlds ends with 1" 😁.

To be fair to us thin blooded folk, when we get snow down here it is really white ice.  First car across its snow, by the fourth it is packed solid and at that stage it's just ice.  No one can drive on ice worth a darn.  With the crazy number of cars around here the trucks have a hard time scraping or salting till the roads clear, and in ice that takes many more hours than normal.   Was at Breckenridge last week and it is always funny how easy it is to drive on snow.