Sign in to follow this  
SuperWD9

Gun Storage

Do any of you use/have/made a secret gun storage piece of furniture for concealing in plain sight. Like a bench, shelf, bookcase, or dresser.

If you are willing to show pictures that is great but don’t feel that you are required to do so if you want to keep your setup a secret.

I am thinking of doing something not sure exactly how or what but looking for ideas or ways to do it. I want to have some sort of latch or mechanism so someone can’t unknowingly accidentally open it.

• Like 2

I do not have children (as yet) is the drawer serves me just fine, however when I do, or have little ones around for whatever reason I will have a biometric lock box, or several, they are inexpensive, good ones in the 100 dollar range, and IMO the best safekeeping for quick access to a handgun. 

• Like 2

Not saying i have this. But my inspiration came from this idea. Blum drawer guides. Consider and entire top that slides back when you depress a latch. 

0655f2bf3504ede4df7349a9ae7d2bc4.jpg

• Like 8

More worried about fire than theft so have a safe. Guess it could be built into a closet by more talented people than myself.

IMG_20191221_234737779.thumb.jpg.5ee007fa743b5bb8e1e076672b236ce0.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

More worried about fire than theft so have a safe. Guess it could be built into a closet by more talented people than myself.

IMG_20191221_234737779.thumb.jpg.5ee007fa743b5bb8e1e076672b236ce0.jpg

Not to derail this. But how do you like the liberty safes. I have a fortress and a heritage for my two main safes. Local store carries the liberty safes and They have identical burn ratings as my other safes but are more expensive. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, SuperWD9 said:

Do any of you use/have/made a secret gun storage piece of furniture for concealing in plain sight. Like a bench, shelf, bookcase, or dresser.

If you are willing to show pictures that is great but don’t feel that you are required to do so if you want to keep your setup a secret.

I am thinking of doing something not sure exactly how or what but looking for ideas or ways to do it. I want to have some sort of latch or mechanism so someone can’t unknowingly accidentally open it.

The best place is on your belt......

And a vault of some sort if it is not being carried.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kevinj said:

The best place is on your belt......

And a vault of some sort if it is not being carried.

^^^ agreed. 

If you are qualified to have it don't leave home without it !! 

We have a safe. Fire is a big concern also. Keep some important papers in it also. 

• Like 1

This would be for at home for a quick grab especially if in a rush for whatever reason or for overnight storage for a farm gun that way I don’t always have to go into the safe but it is near by.

I like the biometric scanners but that is not really what I am looking for at the moment.

It would mostly be for something larger than a hand gun but still want quick access to without having to run to the safe or it being obviously visible in plain sight for every one to see.

55 minutes ago, IHRunner said:

Not to derail this. But how do you like the liberty safes. I have a fortress and a heritage for my two main safes. Local store carries the liberty safes and They have identical burn ratings as my other safes but are more expensive. Any thoughts?

Seems well built. Nowhere near 60 gun capacity but that depends on what you are putting in it. My stuff takes up a lot of room.

The kick I have is how the door shuts. You have to pull a plate out to make the door fit tight. Not sure about that yet. 

First electronic lock I bought. Works good so far. Time will tell there to.

Interior padding is minimal but should be adequate.

Has to be bolted down and braced well or the big door will pull it over. 

Thought the locking lugs could be bigger but should be adequate. Like I said earlier mainly worried about fire protection.

google "gun concealment furniture" and lots of stuff comes up

when my Mom remodeled her house they put false walls in some places.  

magnets to hold drywall up, if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't find it

• Like 2

How about a bed safe? 

Drawback is you have to flip mattress up and dump your wife in the floor to access your gun.

On the plus side the words coming out of your wife's mouth will scare off any intruder. 😀

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My wife’s 410 sits behind the front door. Not sure where the rest of hers are but I know there is a 38 on the shelf in the closet, a 223 behind the bedroom door, and a few more on the way to the safe. 
She is a NRA handgun instructor and loves to teach ladies how to handle a firearm. I can out shoot her with a rifle, but handguns and shotguns she’s way better than I. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, MarkG said:

How about a bed safe? 

Drawback is you have to flip mattress up and dump your wife in the floor to access your gun.

On the plus side the words coming out of your wife's mouth will scare off any intruder. 😀

image.jpeg

For real though, under bed lock boxes are pretty cool and pretty reasonable, the biometric have accessory keys just in case. Grandpa always kept a 32 hammerless at the head of his bed, as kids we errr always told it would blow up because the cylinder didn’t align properly, so we always stayed away from it, however it was always loaded 🤔

still have the gun, just not the balls to fire it. 

• Haha 2

I'm a hillbilly. A loaded gun is in every corner and a couple handguns on the counter.

My stepdaughter lives alone in the backwoods on a mountain top. She dosent keep a gun but she is 6'1" and wields a machete!

Thx-Ace

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

For real though, under bed lock boxes are pretty cool and pretty reasonable, the biometric have accessory keys just in case. Grandpa always kept a 32 hammerless at the head of his bed, as kids we errr always told it would blow up because the cylinder didn’t align properly, so we always stayed away from it, however it was always loaded 🤔

still have the gun, just not the balls to fire it. 

Let Jeff try it...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MarkG said:

How about a bed safe? 

image.jpeg

Trying to picture the sequence in my mind.🤔

Hear a noise in the kitchen, push button, while wife is in the air with arms and legs flailing, you grab your firearm of choice before she comes back down and beats the crap out of you.😡

Meanwhile, bad guy hears the commotion from the bedroom and figures he is in the house of some crazy mofo's and quits the country as fast as he can.

Situation neutralized.

And after the wifey runs out of bad words to call you, you drift back off to peaceful slumber. 🥴

Not a YouTube video but am I close?😁😁😁

• Haha 4

In all seriousness, the Remmy 870 tactical with 7 rounds of "you ain't comin any closer" is cheap enough to have several strategically placed to have at hand. 

Apologize as this isn't exactly what OP is asking for but I would work it into any weapon concealment plans.

A friend of mine has guns stashed all over his place and even in his out buildings and a few trees in the yard in hollow branches . 

In one tree there is a  colt gold cup in plastic bag , in another a Smith and Wesson 44 mag.  Up on a ledge above the barn door is a sawed off double barrel 10 gauge loaded with 00 Buck shot.

He has been looking for an old Ruger mark l for two years that he can’t remember where he hid it. Lol 

I replaced his furnace a few years ago and found some very interesting things in the return air duct that I better not mention . 

I hope he finds the Ruger Mark l     because he thinks he remembers it being an unfired low serial number . 

Everything locked in a fire rated vault here except the wife’s Federal issued Glock she has to wear  everyday and an old 870 that my brother in law found canoeing the Niobrara river by Valentine , 

Perhaps Sandhiller lost it . 

Like his remark,  the fire protection is the primary reason for the vault plus they just don’t all need to be assessable. 

Having them carelessly laying around all over the place dosent fall into my opinion of a responsible gun owner. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

an old 870 that my brother in law found canoeing the Niobrara river by Valentine , 

Perhaps Sandhiller lost it . 

Blue with a walnut stock???                   😁

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Let Jeff try it...

Gee thanks.  What did I ever do to you?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, acem said:

I'm a hillbilly. A loaded gun is in every corner and a couple handguns on the counter.

My stepdaughter lives alone in the backwoods on a mountain top. She dosent keep a gun but she is 6'1" and wields a machete!

Thx-Ace

Is she single?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Gee thanks.  What did I ever do to you?

Nothing dear! Just having some fun at your expense. Did you ever call Machinery Pete? 

I am not near as optimistic about things being fire safe in a gun safe as I was 10 years ago when I got the one here. But it is on concrete floor which helps,from my understanding. But I can say I tried. Have seen several safes contents after the California wildfires was not good.

I like the idea of the under the bed storage as we sleep on a sleep number air bed,no box spring under it. Just a platform to raise the bed up to the normal height.

Forty years ago family going on vacation placed guns in cough hide a bed. House was really turned upside down and they were not found. But they talked about it so probably not so safe today.

I have a cousin that lost a Ithaca 37 shotgun he hid from his brothers when he was gone 6 months. The best guess as he could not remember where he hid it,was inside a mattress  that was stored in the garage that was taken to the dump in his absence.

My stepdaughter is separated from her husband.  They are in the process of getting divorced.  Thx-Ace

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 6:53 PM, IHRunner said:

Not saying i have this. But my inspiration came from this idea. Blum drawer guides. Consider and entire top that slides back when you depress a latch. 

0655f2bf3504ede4df7349a9ae7d2bc4.jpg

I really like that. Any prints/plans/material takeoffs online?