Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Diesel Doctor

$$$$$$$ Hearing Aids $$$$$$$

Recommended Posts

This is a pretty diverse group with younger and older among us.

I take your recommendations to heart as we seem to be an honest group.

I have a hard time giving thousands of dollars of my hard earned money to some so called, Doctor, for hearing aids.

I guess I can have more fun with $6,500, what I hear is being charged, than the doctor can.

So, I open this up.

What have you got for hearing aids? If you want to say, what did they cost? What brand? Do they work?

You know, kind of like critiquing the new IH tractor that just came out.

I'm sure others are probably wondering the same thing.

Is Costco, Sam's Club, the high priced or just cheap amplifiers working?

Let's talk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my office worker's husband just picked his new ones  up from Costco today.  So far she says he loves them, but it is too early to say for sure.  My mother and godfather both had Beltone and they seemed like an expensive rip off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i got nuthin, i just struggle thru, my wife yells at me, my kids yell at me and i just smile and say huh, i dont miss too awful much i dont think - most of it is a lot of nonsense anyway - tv aint worth watching so i go to the movie if i wanna hear something loud they do it good there

i have been scared to death by the costs of them as you have so i never bothered to go, i was told in my 20s at at a hearing test i was 50% tone deaf in my left year, I would hate to know what i am now that was 35yrs ago almost. 

too much horn playing in band in school - too much shooting growin up - too much hunting - too much riding/driving tractors and farming - too much loud stereo in my car - too many ear infections as a kid - too many loud motorcycles - but i always tell my family it is because of 3 sisters, mom and gma all yelling at me growing up. I was the only boy and caught it ALL. 

Hopefully you find something that works, a friend in MT has bad hearing and he got those kind that sit behind your ear and have what looks to be a TINY fiber/hair of glass that runs down into the ear canal - he says they work good but if you cant hear anythings gotta be better than nothing. 

I never asked the COST but can find out more if anyone on here has ideas. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

i got nuthin, i just struggle thru, my wife yells at me, my kids yell at me and i just smile and say huh, i dont miss too awful much i dont think - most of it is a lot of nonsense anyway - tv aint worth watching so i go to the movie if i wanna hear something loud they do it good there

i have been scared to death by the costs of them as you have so i never bothered to go, i was told in my 20s at at a hearing test i was 50% tone deaf in my left year, I would hate to know what i am now that was 35yrs ago almost. 

too much horn playing in band in school - too much shooting growin up - too much hunting - too much riding/driving tractors and farming - too much loud stereo in my car - too many ear infections as a kid - too many loud motorcycles - but i always tell my family it is because of 3 sisters, mom and gma all yelling at me growing up. I was the only boy and caught it ALL. 

Hopefully you find something that works, a friend in MT has bad hearing and he got those kind that sit behind your ear and have what looks to be a TINY fiber/hair of glass that runs down into the ear canal - he says they work good but if you cant hear anythings gotta be better than nothing. 

I never asked the COST but can find out more if anyone on here has ideas. 

 

X2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have worn them off and on for 20 years. First pair we're in the ear, basically just amps, $1500. Then went up to behind the ear, supposedly computer tuned to your particular loss, with a remote for different settings, as in a crowd, watching TV, a private conversation. Came with a charger and dehumidifier. $5000. Suck for outdoor dirty environments. Gotta take a toothpick and clean the little hole out. Then all the kids were gone and I was the last man standing. Heard more than I wanted to. Quit wearing them. I think natural hearing loss helps marital longevity. Kind of like your vision going bad.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been wearing them for a while now. Oticon is the brand. Work well IMO. I do not wear them around machinery. Don't know the cost, tanker ears so VA provided them. My mother in law just got them last year. She tried some fly by night place that was a joke. Then she tried COSTCO. I took her in and was pretty impressed with the care and the exam when compared to VA. Plus side is that they were only about 1500 dollars and COSTCO will clean them and check em out for free while she is shopping.

I could barely hear my wife and small children were a total loss when they were just talking. I couldn't believe what I was missing when I got mine.

Rick

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DD, if I were you I'd call the Costco hearing center in SF and set up a free evaluation. After that they'll  give you a set to wear around the store for an hour, all FREE. Mine were $1,700 and I think the latest series is $1,600. This is name brand stuff, although it says Kirkland on the box, and it not the Harbor Freight variety. I considered it for a couple of months until my wife wore me down, as usual. 😖 Funny thing, I still can't hear her most of the time. Seriously, it was one of my better old age purchases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too.........22 years of this didn't help...........                                                                                 

 Cannon.jpg.c66f924fe7b6ee6c38c400d3b6d3ab05.jpg

Mike

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought mine at Sams club. $4000.00. Best investment ever besides wife. I can really tell the difference when not wearing them. Sounds are muffled with out them. Computer generated to my ears. Warranty 2 years from purchase. I've had them now for 3 years and nothing wrong so far. You don't know how much your missing  if you can't hear. Just my 2 cents worth. Pembroke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

- too much shooting growin up - too much hunting - too much riding/driving tractors and farming - too much loud stereo in my car - too many ear infections as a kid - too many loud motorcycles -

 

Chuckle chuckle, try 2600 hours of instructing in B-25s!

best, randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a set from Costco. Free exam which was pretty thorough. Wore a set around the store far a good hour. So far I have been satisfied with the quality and price. Approx $1500. Batteries don't last quite last a week. Well worth the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing loss can lead to dementia by the brain not having enough stimulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have simulation....my wife told me so. 😆

Yes, I believe that's true. My mom lost 90% of hers years ago and with her hearing aids now can't hear a train going by. The family has watched her slip into her own little world and it's disheartening.

Get them--Costco or wherever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 bucks...just saying...

B5E35CDF-EB81-4FB7-8237-1DFCE499B886.png

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“I think natural hearing loss helps marital longevity. Kind of like your vision going bad.”

I could not help but think of my buddy and welding mentor Fran telling his wife that his hearing aids were a mute button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Chuckle chuckle, try 2600 hours of instructing in B-25s!

best, randy

WOW thank you for doing that randy im honored to type to you - not only have you lost hearing but likely your voice from yelling too!! hats off 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, oldtanker said:

I've been wearing them for a while now. Oticon is the brand. Work well IMO. I do not wear them around machinery. Don't know the cost, tanker ears so VA provided them. My mother in law just got them last year. She tried some fly by night place that was a joke. Then she tried COSTCO. I took her in and was pretty impressed with the care and the exam when compared to VA. Plus side is that they were only about 1500 dollars and COSTCO will clean them and check em out for free while she is shopping.

I could barely hear my wife and small children were a total loss when they were just talking. I couldn't believe what I was missing when I got mine.

Rick

tanker im honored to you as well, goodness so many amazing military folks around here - if i have missed any of you rest assured i have nothing but respect and gratitude for all of you and your service/sacrifices and you have been prayed for many times 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mikem said:

Me too.........22 years of this didn't help...........                                                                                 

 Cannon.jpg.c66f924fe7b6ee6c38c400d3b6d3ab05.jpg

Mike

 

 

 

 

 

 

gratitude mike thank you!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 9:47 PM, searcyfarms said:

not only have you lost hearing but likely your voice from yelling too!!

Ummmmm, just seems to be my hearing.  Just over 6,000 T/Os and L's in that 2600 hours in B-25s.  We entered in the Form 781-1 (logbook) the number of SL's and L's (supervised landings and demonstrated landings) so that's the reason that I can know.  We pretty much instructed with the handheld mic IIRC, except when we had to drop it to grab the controls and recover one. Had tried a throat mic a few times but wasn't happy with that at all.  Reese AFB (at Lubbock, TX) and Hobbs.

Come to think of it now tho, the DC-3s prolly didn't help.

The VA has furnished me with two (in the ear) hearing aids but I honestly don't believe that they've helped.

best, randy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, oldtanker said:

I've been wearing them for a while now. Oticon is the brand. Work well IMO. I do not wear them around machinery. Don't know the cost, tanker ears so VA provided them. My mother in law just got them last year. She tried some fly by night place that was a joke. Then she tried COSTCO. I took her in and was pretty impressed with the care and the exam when compared to VA. Plus side is that they were only about 1500 dollars and COSTCO will clean them and check em out for free while she is shopping.

I could barely hear my wife and small children were a total loss when they were just talking. I couldn't believe what I was missing when I got mine.

Rick

Also got mine from the VA. They work great. Still certain people are hard to understand and crowds aren't the best,still a lot better than without them.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try to get by without hearing aids like Al Bundy got by without wearing glasses.

My dad started out with a Starkey out of the Twin Cities 20 years ago but he thought they were more trouble than they're worth, so he's got his out of Watertown for 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much hearing is enough?  Does anyone really require hearing aids?

I can still hear car horns, rods knocking and bulls snorting and Sissel on studio monitors, don't give a dam$ for communicating with soft spoken females or water dripping from 26 feet away, so am still good to go!

I can get tax payer paid for hearing aids from the VA but don't see why?

I forget how old I am but believe I was born in 1944.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Chuckle chuckle, try 2600 hours of instructing in B-25s!

best, randy

Randy

Years ago a Catalina waddled into our local airport on magnetometer surveys.  Apparently it was the only plane that could cart the load at the slow speeds needed.  It had been upgraded to 1600 hp Wrights with bigger propellors and less clearance tip to ear.  Apparently even with sheet lead on the skin reading the instruments was a challenge.

You need to be tested to find what kind of hearing loss.  Mine is the higher frequencies, so the hearing aid has to phase shift those to lower ones.  Plain amplification won't really help that problem. 

Also amplifies the cost so I don't own a set as yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Try to get by without hearing aids like Al Bundy got by without wearing glasses.

My dad started out with a Starkey out of the Twin Cities 20 years ago but he thought they were more trouble than they're worth, so he's got his out of Watertown for 10 years.

I have Starkey's now mine are junk may just be my type of hearing loss though any one have anything good to  say about Starky? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

......yeah..I just tell my wife and kids when they are home, I   can find   $8000.00   (NZ)   reasons for not getting hearing aids

.......compared with buying   8K's   worth of  modern, computorised  technology...it almost  suggests  that somewhere along the line.  us  peasants    are getting  shafted.....like it is not as though  you get a new set of after market   ears, is it ?? ......just some expensive. mass produced  technology

.....in fact at the price from Cost co, that some of you have mentioned...it would be well worth  a trip to Canada ..to see Brother...and get some from Cost co....

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...