Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehammer

Anybody a duck hunter?

So I’ve loved hunting since I was old enough to go. I don’t go like I used to with a family now but still try and get out some. I’ve always thought duck hunting seemed interesting but never had the opportunity to go until last weekend. I already owned waders and a good gun so I was only out the cost for stamps and a couple boxes of shells. The hunting wasn’t great but I did have a lot of fun trying something new.  My question is, what would be a good call to buy if I wanted to learn to call without buying custom stuff?  I was told a double reed call by one person but honestly know nothing about duck calls.  This would be for mallards primarily. Couple pics from over the weekend. 

F9409AD8-3CCB-49BF-ACDC-4DF4202C2A55.jpeg

B4B9B583-7FC2-4DF9-9534-5B7137199B33.jpeg

• Like 3

i have an old wooden one with no name one it with a copper reed in it that was my gpas............its made of walnut from what era i have no clue other than OLD - out side of that due to the nasty taste of ducks and having to soak them for at least 3 days to become edible its not worth the effort I went twice and said forget it

GOOD LUCK, i would recommend some action in your sets like a robo duck - lucky duck - mojo etc.....and its never harmful to put a few canadians or ducks together especially in the open like you are in - geese taste much better too!!!

I havent duck hunted in years but have plenty of friends that do and they are using all kinds of new gadgets/gizmos to draw them in - seems like when im goose hunting there are lots of ducks and no geese 

Duck hunting can be a hoot! Haven't been since I started this stupid job, over eight years.

Can't give you any advice on the call. Never met one I could make a good note on. My cousin I hunted with did all the calling, he's pretty good. He said, and I believe him. "People call way too much". A lot of times less is more. Guess you have to figure that out with experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

GOOD LUCK, i would recommend some action in your sets like a robo duck - lucky duck - mojo etc.....and its never harmful to put a few canadians or ducks together especially in the open like you are in - geese taste much better too!!!

There were a couple mojo decoys out there at one point but he pulled them for some reason. I’ve used mojo decoys for doves before and they work nicely.  I’ve hunted all kinds of critters, just never waterfowl. I know one thing for sure though, my waders are too old. Went to put out decoys and got a feeling of peeing my pants with ice water.......dang.....could have done without that. If I did much of this style hunting I would have newer waders without holes. 

Need some new 5mm neoprene waders to be comfortable in all day!  I love the comaraderie of duck hunting as opposed to deer hunting where you sit in a tree by yourself all day!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Duck commander is a pretty good starting point.  

https://duckcommander.com/

And good people to support

• Like 1

Haven't hunted ducks since I was little with my dad and grandpa in my uncle's blind on the Missouri by Blair, NE. He had a great set of Black Labs. Man those dogs would retrieve! Uncle always told me "don't worry bout fallin in the river, Jack and MIke will bring you back"! 😀  Great memories, thanks for bringing them back. 

Ducks are a little more cagey out here in the sandhills'. 😁

Be safe out there

256848210_duckhunter.jpg.d7b0a5018411743ce1ec88746d1cf66b.jpg

• Haha 3

I shot the only one that came in Friday morning.  The three of us got one more Saturday afternoon.  Mallards sure are a pretty bird. I dressed them and marinaded them exactly how I was told. Going to grill it tonight or tomorrow and see how it turns out. I need another hobby like I need a spare hole in my head but if I can go once in a while with friends and shoot stuff it doesn’t get much more fun than that. 😁

• Like 2

The last time I went duck hunting was with my Dad.

We got lucky and had some come in and when we jumped up and shot we looked at each other and said "got 'em"

we both shot the same one

• Haha 2

Grilled duck tonight after a 24hr marinade. It was pretty good. Moist and not gamey (sp) tasting at all. Kept it at 2-250°for 1.5hrs and it was just right.