Sign in to follow this  
Pbach

Alternator HELP

Hello,

I recently purchased a 3 wire positive ground 12v 63 amp 10si alternator for my TD6 crawler. I installed it on the crawler and it would not work. The idiot light would NOT come on with the ignition key turned on. The ammeter NEVER moved when running the engine. I then removed and replaced the bridge rectifier, diode trio, brushes, and voltage regulator. After running a bench test, still nothing. I decided it must be something with the stator or wire windings. 

I purchased a second brand new 10si pos-ground alternator and ran a bench test right out of the box. Still nothing. The idiot light never comes on unless I physically ground terminal 1. This tab is supposed to act as a ground with the engine stopped and key on so I am thoroughly confused and frustrated as to why the light is off. At this point I'm ready to put the old generator back on.. It doesn't help that the place I ordered from has no customer service either...

I have read about lots of people having issues with the idiot light staying on but have had no luck in reading about people resolving the light NEVER coming on besides a bad connection. I am  confident that all my wired connections are good and have a good ground. 

I will post a picture of my wiring diagram.

Any help would be  greatly appreciated!

Peter

Peter,

I had sucess with the little Denso unit I installed. I am for sure not a expert on electrical. But I do know someone that is. Please google B&B Electronics. Steve works on this type of stuff all the time. He maybe able to talk you through it. 

I have a electrical diagram for the work I did on my TD6 I will see if I can find it. Might help. But I dont uses a light. In fact the little Denso was a true one wire system and it charges good. Now I do change mine over to voltmeters. Which was a recommendation from Steve at B&B.

I will look around and try to find some of my information. Dont give up.

I see one thing in your sketch. I believe these alternators require a negative ground system. I believe your alternator should be feeding the positive side of your battery.

Regards,

Chris

Pete,

This was the diagram I used on the TD6. Granted its not the same alternator. Its the one wire Denso.

DSC06591.jpg

This may or may not help? Let me try to find the wiring for another tractor using the same alternator as yours.

Regards,

Chris

Pete,

I have some pictures and diagrams.

First here is the same alternator you have on one of my tractors the #2 terminal from the small area with 2 terminals goes to the large post on the alternator. So based on your sketch you have that correct.

Then the small wire from the #1 terminal would be the one for the bulb. I use a diode a 1 amp 50 volt, in the exciter wire. So you have that correct too.

opU6Uzg.jpg?1

I included a sketch of what the TD6 wiring would have looked like if I had chose to use the Delco alternator like you have.

mIrZBRz.jpg?4

These are the switches I like to use:

XUD6w2d.jpg?2

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris,

This alternator has different internal components and jumpers that allow it to specifically be used for a positive ground system - or so they say.. It is a D110Si12V63P alternator and if you google that you can find out more info on it. My only guess is that something is not right with those additional parts that convert it to positive ground. There is a grounding tab in a “D” shaped whole on the case of the alternator. When I ground the regulator to the case (using a screwdriver), the bulb lights up. So my thinking is that the regulator isn’t getting grounded properly or has some residual charge somehow? 

Thanks for Steve’s contact, I will have to get in touch with him.

Peter

Pete,

Are you saying you still have a 12 volt voltage regulator in the system too?

Regards,

Chris 

Peter,

I now see and read that you have a positive ground alternator. I didnt know they made them So I did learn something today. I just change all mine over to neg qround 12 volt systems. 

Hope Steve or someone can help you more than I did.

So the 12volt positive ground alternator saved what components? 

Regards,

Chris

do you have the diode by the bulb going the correct direction?

R190,

If your asking me? The diode, if used goes in the exciter wire with the stripe towards the alternator. Correct?

Regards,

Chris