sandhiller

Cordless tools

Ok. I read all this yesterday. Last night i was in the shop using my pneumatic impact while on a creeper cussing and swearing at the airhose getting tangled on everything including me and the creeper.

It is time to upgrade. Gonna go red this time around. Looking at all the tools and battery choices and not sure which battery to go with. 4.0? 5.0? 6.0? 9.0? 12.0?  Is the difference just run time? More power in a 1/2" impact? Some too big for some tools?

I use the 9.0 in my 1/2" gun, a little heavy but definitely more power. I use 5.0 in most everything else.

29 minutes ago, new guy said:

Ok. I read all this yesterday. Last night i was in the shop using my pneumatic impact while on a creeper cussing and swearing at the airhose getting tangled on everything including me and the creeper.

It is time to upgrade. Gonna go red this time around. Looking at all the tools and battery choices and not sure which battery to go with. 4.0? 5.0? 6.0? 9.0? 12.0?  Is the difference just run time? More power in a 1/2" impact? Some too big for some tools?

If you look at the first post in this thread, i did that with a 5.0. 

bigger battery more power?  more run time for sure. Trade off is more weight.

I think it depends on the tool you use.

I have a 2.0? for my little right angle 3/8 drill, light and handy but use 5.0 for everything up to sawzall (bigger battery might work better here)

batteries.thumb.jpg.40d376cbb0c6db378a0bcea7f5dd1ccc.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, new guy said:

I am partial to the 5.0 on impact. Bigger ones get heavy after awhile. 5.0 has good tool balance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, new guy said:

is time to upgrade. Gonna go red this time around.

Careful what you start

It is an addiction 😂

9c667b1d4229e65bf23330987962e45a.jpg.b68ade2b07a23f2f2ec3cd017a6bd326.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

the-very-first-cordless-power-drill-funny-it-really-did-37696830.png.37c8e627e08b01c72d938abb410ad47a.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Careful what you start

It is an addiction 😂

9c667b1d4229e65bf23330987962e45a.jpg.b68ade2b07a23f2f2ec3cd017a6bd326.jpg

Only 1 cordless tool that i can see but I'll take it!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, new guy said:

Only 1 cordless tool that i can see but I'll take it!

Blame it small cell phone screen

Can't be my 60 year old eyes🙄         😁

That is a good one to start with though. If'n ya can't fix it you can have fun finishing it off😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh, and don't be afraid to ask for help from a knowledgeable sales person when picking out your new tool.

The right one can make your purchase enjoyable😀

m-ebay-com-itm-1-2-new-milwaukee-m18-2603-20-18v-li-ion-1-2-465592.thumb.png.069f598b87f2b9f090e65b4255aa2a78.png

• Like 3

I have two fives that i keep in the cases in my truck to power the impact(1/2) drill(1/2) mini impact(1/4). I keep a nine and a twelve in the shop for the blower with a speedy charger. The 12 is a brute but damn it has poop.

• Like 1

What do the batteries cost for you guys? My 5s were with the tool when i bought it, 485.00 tool, case,  two batteries charger. The drill was about a buck and a half and same with the mini. The 9 volt was 250.00 and the 12 volt was 350.00, now this is all in kanadian purple, green and blue money, but it still is expensive.

11 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

What do the batteries cost for you guys? My 5s were with the tool when i bought it, 485.00 tool, case,  two batteries charger. The drill was about a buck and a half and same with the mini. The 9 volt was 250.00 and the 12 volt was 350.00, now this is all in kanadian purple, green and blue money, but it still is expensive.

We dont use that funny paper here. I have some in a jar. Tried giving it away at Halloween. Think i ended up with more...not sure..

I am looking on Amazon at the different combos and individual pieces. I see there are knock off batteries too. They any good? Ratings are all over the board on those...but it's the internet so how many are trolls that live to give bad reviews on everything....

I get more power from my impact and circular saw with the 9.0. Try to buy as a kit for your first tool to get batteries then just add tools after that. 

• Like 1

The 6, 9 and 12 amp/hr batteries are designed to allow faster discharge rates so you will see a lit6more power with them on some tools, bug difference on an angle grinder or chainsaw.

i have a 5.0 on my 1/2 impact and 2.0 for my m12 ratchet - havent had anything i couldnt move yet but ive not used mine that much - mine didnt come with batteries or charger i chose to purchase things separate

3 hours ago, new guy said:

We dont use that funny paper here. I have some in a jar. Tried giving it away at Halloween. Think i ended up with more...not sure..

I am looking on Amazon at the different combos and individual pieces. I see there are knock off batteries too. They any good? Ratings are all over the board on those...but it's the internet so how many are trolls that live to give bad reviews on everything....

Some of the prices I pay for stuff up here I know I'm giving it away, I can see the border from our place and we go across a lot and even at exchange rates we always save money, the one instance I can mention is gas and what I fill up, my '09 wrangler, I save on average 16.00 per tank driving 10 miles round trip.

As for knock off batteries I can't say yay or nay, for me I'm staying with Milwaukee brand, the one tool i find that the bigger batteries are helpful is the blower, it's like my bike it's an '84 shovel and I know there are lots of aftermarket parts but I stay with HD and never had a problem, and I bought this in '85.

Stay away from knock off batteries. You don't need your shop burned to the ground to save a few bucks.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

I am partial to the 5.0 on impact. Bigger ones get heavy after awhile. 5.0 has good tool balance

I have a 4.0 and a 5.0.  Can't feel any difference in the weight.

The 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0 all have ten cells. The 9.0 has fifteen cells, and the 12.0 has fifteen larger cells.

The 6.0, 8.0, and 12.0 (and there may be a 3.0) use the 21700 cells, and are the only ones that will charge at full speed on a Super Charger.

I never bought a combo pack, always had something I didn't want or thought I needed. I bought all my tools one at a time. 

I did watch for specials that the tool came with one battery plus a free one. that adds up as batteries purchased separately are kinda pricey. 

The 5.0's seem to work well for me and with several, when one draws down I just pop on another one. I think I have six 5.0's and never ran out of battery power on a project. 

They recharge pretty fast too. 

13 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Oh, and don't be afraid to ask for help from a knowledgeable sales person when picking out your new tool.

The right one can make your purchase enjoyable😀

m-ebay-com-itm-1-2-new-milwaukee-m18-2603-20-18v-li-ion-1-2-465592.thumb.png.069f598b87f2b9f090e65b4255aa2a78.png

Those tools are the start of a lot of trouble! But, boy what fun getting into that trouble!

• Haha 1

I guess im really not sure what i would use a 1/4" drive impact for......and the combos i see mostly have something i dont think i would use much.....have to go back and look again.....

On 2/4/2020 at 8:53 AM, sandhiller said:

If you look at the first post in this thread, i did that with a 5.0. 

bigger battery more power?  more run time for sure. Trade off is more weight.

I think it depends on the tool you use.

I have a 2.0? for my little right angle 3/8 drill, light and handy but use 5.0 for everything up to sawzall (bigger battery might work better here)

batteries.thumb.jpg.40d376cbb0c6db378a0bcea7f5dd1ccc.jpg

I'm a member of a milwaukee group on facebook a lot of those guys say you can tell a difference in power with different size batteries but idk all i have are 5.0's

5 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I guess im really not sure what i would use a 1/4" drive impact for......and the combos i see mostly have something i dont think i would use much.....have to go back and look again.....

Do you have a red 1/4" driver?  I seem to use mine for Everything. It gets used 25x more than the 1/2".  I posted earlier that the 1/4" will effortlessly  Remove any passenger car type lugnut (the 85-110lb tight style) and it will run a truck's lugs down to 135-140ish.  And it's light. Wicked light, compared to the 1/2".  

I have only the 5.0 batteries, local shop here (an actual tool store...not like Lowes) had told me the bigger batteries wouldn't give more power, just time. never needed more power, so I had  not actually looked into it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1