Sign in to follow this  
dads706

Tractor engine heaters....

Do you leave them plugged in or just plug them in a couple hours before you need them? 

The 706 has a frost plug heater. I usually try to just plug it in when I know I'm going to use it. Dad would keep it plugged in all the time.

A couple hours before you need it is fine except what about if you need it now and can't wait a couple hours?

I hate using the John Deere starter in a can.

-13 this morning.

I can't leave them plugged in at home so just hour or two before hand....on a generator...

Usually plug it in about 4 hours before I need it. Up here if you need it all of a sudden and it's not plugged in, chances are ether won't make a world of difference

I leave my freeze plug versions plugged in if I know I might need it.  Tank heater versions I plug in a few hours ahead of time.  During bad spells of weather during extreme cold I have had freeze plug versions plugged in for weeks at a time.

• Like 1

If I know were going to use it at a certain time I use a heavy duty timer programmed to come on a couple hours before and they pop right off like it was summer. Easier on starter & batteries and electric bill. Won't let them plugged in over night, had one short out once. All are in block heaters. Keep good cords on them. My two cents.

• Like 3

Usually a few hours ahead for me. Unless a strom coming then i may plug in over nite ar for as long as weather is crappy.  As often as not tho i come home from work and see i need to do something and end up cold starting sonething. Luckily i dont have that much so it isnt an every day or even weekly thing. Thought one of the guys here posted recently that studies had showed after 3 hours its as warm as its gonna get plugged in? 

Before I got my 5240 I used Christmas tree timers no issues seems like they were about $15

I have a 2500w tank heater.  At -20, it will wam the block (1466 436) in 45 minutes.  Around zero degrees, it's only 15-20 min.   I'm to cold to do the math, but is 2500w for 15-45 min, more or less expensive than a 500w frost plug x3 or x24hr.? 

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

I have a 2500w tank heater.  At -20, it will wam the block (1466 436) in 45 minutes.  Around zero degrees, it's only 15-20 min.   I'm to cold to do the math, but is 2500w for 15-45 min, more or less expensive than a 500w frost plug x3 or x24hr.? 

Yes tank heaters are the way to go, freeze plugs take a while, but if you want to get skmthing going fast I put both on my 1206, best way if you need to get going in a hurry

• Like 1

When we were using the tractor daily it was plugged in as soon as you shut it off. Never had an issue with it. I’ve had it so cold it would blow hydraulic lines off after it started. JD 6400, but I’m talking cold with the cold wind blowing on it.

I leave mine plugged in. Usually plug it in the night before expected snow.

Heavy duty timer set about 4 hours before. Only use one 1250w (maybe they are 1500w, been so long since I replaced one don't remember wattage) heater. If I need it in a hurry will use both heaters. 

Plug in a few hrs in advance of needing it.

Timers on routinely used equipment.  Not worth having stuff plugged in all night or 24/7 when 4-5 hours will do it with the frost plug heaters and 2 hours with the tank heater.  

Timers will burn your barn down. Don’t be using cheap timers on a block heater. One block heater in a 436 will warm it to start good. 

• Like 1

Plugged in when not in use for the feeding equipment. Other things on an as needed basis we plug in ahead of time. Lots of difference between what the weather is out

2 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Timers will burn your barn down. Don’t be using cheap timers on a block heater. One block heater in a 436 will warm it to start good. 

speaking of heaters - this is a dead 1500 watt kats, i dont think the way my dad installed it its going to work, it burned out the brand new one i installed in short order 

i think im either going to go with a lower radiator hose or freeze plug style where there will be water all the time - I cant believe it burned up - talk about a piss poor design, my elements in our water heater will not run if there is no liquid creating a safety connection of some sort, or will reach a certain temp then kick off so it doesnt burn itself out. these kats will just burn themselves out in short order with nothing to absorb the heat. 

Kats Heater.jpg

The 9 gets plugged in a couple hours before use. My uncles tmr 1066 is plugged in as soon as its shut off. The 5088 gets plugged in ahead of time on days when it hauls manure.

This is all we ever use except on a JD 10 or 20 and a letter series or other ihc. It was 15 below during the night warmed to about 5 below at noon. Plugged the 1586 in for a 3  hours and she fired right up we needed to move it.

2B74B37C-B9B1-47F9-91CC-8A057C696FBF.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

speaking of heaters - this is a dead 1500 watt kats, i dont think the way my dad installed it its going to work, it burned out the brand new one i installed in short order 

i think im either going to go with a lower radiator hose or freeze plug style where there will be water all the time - I cant believe it burned up - talk about a piss poor design, my elements in our water heater will not run if there is no liquid creating a safety connection of some sort, or will reach a certain temp then kick off so it doesnt burn itself out. these kats will just burn themselves out in short order with nothing to absorb the heat. 

Kats Heater.jpg

Oh yah if it was mounted horizontally it's doomed quickly. With no water they dojt last long. Ever hotted up a water heater in your home with no water? About 2 minutes and trips the breaker or blows a hole in the element. I've used kats quite a bit and they are ok I think. Must of had air in it or possibly a bad element. 

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

This is all we ever use except on a JD 10 or 20 and a letter series or other ihc. It was 15 below during the night warmed to about 5 below at noon. Plugged the 1586 in for a 3  hours and she fired right up we needed to move it.

2B74B37C-B9B1-47F9-91CC-8A057C696FBF.png

That's mirrors what international sends you now. Guessing they are getting them from zero start. 

Plug it in all night, or for a couple days at a time, it can get rough on the electric bill though, and don’t forget and leave for three weeks, whew

I guess the correct answer depends on a lot of variables. Is it in the barn out of the wind? How good does it normally start in cold? How big is the heater? 30 minutes with a 250watt block heater dont get yah very far in 0 degree weather. I run 1250 or 1500 watt tank heaters on a couple. An hour with them and they are starting to warm up nicely. 2 hours and you can warm your hands on the engine. Anything over 1500 watt your gonna have to start paying very close attention to cord sizes, dedicated ckts, breaker sizes etc. Cord ends start to get hot and melt much over 1500 as well. Never heard of a 2500 watt tank heater??  Math dont much add up.... 2500watt/120 volts=20.8 amps. Better have a zinsco or GE breaker to hold that very long unless your the guy that slams a 30a on #12's. 

11 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

That's mirrors what international sends you now. Guessing they are getting them from zero start. 

I have two in the 1066, I got them from the local parts store.....cheaper for both, than the IH price....

Just sayin....

Mike

I don't understand what the issue people have with wind.The tractor is a innate object.The air temp is the temp.Wind chill factor is for us humans,animals only.It feels colder becuse the wind is blowing the heat away from our bodies make us colder and harder to heat.20 below is 20 below,30 below is 30 below to a tractor.The only thing if it blows the cold into buildings or covered engine compartment farther.Water dosen't freeze at 33 degrees with a fan on it.

• Like 1