Sign in to follow this  
searcyfarms

anybody off today?

Is anybody off today - let me rephrase that - i am a little off everyday but i mean is anybody not working their day job today and if so what is your plans for today?

Anything exciting from the honey doo list? 

For me it will be a day of fixits - first priority, split some wood & haul to house while its froze up, I know the maul will start even tho its only 11 out, high of 20 today here,  fix on demand hot water heater, possibly get the 706 out and futz with the rear blade that i got for dad to use on our 5088 - traded my fast hitch lighter duty blade from my last 560 for it from my neighbor. Blade is stuck, wont rotate - may need to ram some trees with it LOL. He bought a 606 utility and had this blade left over from his 706 he sold. I think its a big ox not absolutely sure. 

I will send pix later, gotta cough n sore throat so not sure how long i will last. 

The air hubs and pilots get the day off, all of us in ground division work.

• Like 1

After having to work all day Saturday, it’s Monday morning deja vu all over again. 
enjoy your day off!!

• Like 1

No.  Just be like any other day for us.

• Like 1

Normal work day today but I happen to be off in my schedule (rotating) Going to try and be domestic. Have some errands to run and things to do around the house. Back got tweaked yesterday for the first time in several years so I’m going to take it easy in preparation for work tomorrow. Might get the oil changed in wife’s car. Going to marinate some duck breasts from hunting over the weekend and try to make them edible. 15° degrees here and a light breeze. Lots of wind Sat and Sunday. 

Kids are out of school, about it

I was surprised. Called the DMV to see if they were open and they are. My three high schoolers and my one in nursing school all had school today.  Life goes on.

Could have stayed home but came in to earn some money towards the shop i wanna build. Most not here today but some production people in as well. We are working on cleaning up old work orders and fiddling with some conveyors we have access to while not in use.

• Like 1

so great to hear everyones activities - kids, domestication, hard working, some of you full time ranchers/farmers and business owner/operators I know work extra hard no matter what holiday it is for us part time wanna be farmers/ranchers and dont get many days off if any. 

my days off from my day job are filled with some kind of work either here or up at the folks/farm 99% of the time but being off my day job and enjoying things i like to do even tho working i dont mind at all. 

will likely put that new block heater on the 706 today and let it cook while i am chopping wood, its' a good day to try it out even tho i know the ole girl will start it is just easier on things. 

kudos to all of you for your persistence and passion for your life, taking care of your families and needs/responsibilities no matter the temp or circumstances we have to move forward 

you guys all do some interesting sounding work we sure are a patchwork of people on here i love it

Im off - neighbors should be up now, if not they will be shortly!! pix later

Self employed, so it is just another day.

Ron

• Like 3

Im off but only because I have the flu. Wife left for work and the next thing I know im in the bathroom sicker than a dog. 

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, Ron Cook said:

Ron

ayup

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron Cook said:

Ron

X2 Not a lot to do ought to go out and work on equipment but at 12degrees right now don't feel like heating it so I'll take it easy in the chair and read the posts on here. You all have agood day and stay warm & be safe out there.

1 hour ago, Ron Cook said:

Ron

Yep, working on robot frames.

• Like 2

I have to go in tonight as usual but seems like a day off because of the snow and cold. I don't think I can get to the places I need to run the chainsaw and really don't want to at 8 degrees.

Iowaboy, is that standard practice for you guys to have MLK day optional?

3 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

I have to go in tonight as usual but seems like a day off because of the snow and cold. I don't think I can get to the places I need to run the chainsaw and really don't want to at 8 degrees.

Iowaboy, is that standard practice for you guys to have MLK day optional?

Its a paid holiday for us.  Yes usually a few guys at least work.  They almost always want a few or more maintence folks here. Was suppose to be more production running but they backed off a bit. 

Guess I'm a bad holiday observer. I didn't realize, till I read DT's post, sorry MLK. 

Just normal cattle care, weather is great and very little snow cover so just cake and chop ice for the cows and pairs.

Then going in to work on fire trucks. Swap 8 of the 10 tires on our M818, put in new batteries, seems like there is always a list of little things needs done to some others

I have fuel to haul tonight but I may just decide to have a few with the boys after we are done and sit around and bs instead of going in the truck tonight. I ran over the weekend and things are slowing down a bit so.....

The January ho hums or doldrums, never could remember what they are called. Kinda nice to have a day off every once in a while. Thanks MLK 😀

• Like 1

My kids are off school...but their mother has in-service.  Guess what that means!

I just put the 5th wheel back on the Freightliner.  Ate dinner, and now I have to go move snow to get the truck out of the shed and hook up to the hopper so I can haul some soybeans.  I have 3 customers bugging me.  Kinda danged cold to get this old man out.  They may just need to wait awhile.

Ron

• Haha 1

I felt a little off, so I drank a couple beers. Think I will plow some drifts and get some bull panels out of the arena. Kid's cattle are pushing a fence. Aren't gonna buck anything for a while anyway.

I'm off all winter every winter, I love construction in Minnesota, winter time comes around amd I might as well be kne of them guys in the Yukon, I just hibernate on my farm

• Like 4
  • Haha 1