Ian Beale

Check this TD 24 rescue

Someone spent a lot of money to get it out.

AW  when it's all in fun or a hobby , money is no object !

Cool video. Appears to be a Military dozer, at least at one time. 1091 cubic inch, 17.9L engine......wow it's a BIG one.

Anyone know the back story of how and when it ended up in the swamp?

looks like wrong bait and hook was used with all the  "recovery" damage

A great story and a great save!

Hope she runs.

Thanks Guys.

If you follow the link to YouTube and read the comments there's quite a bit of info.

A little rubbing compound and that baby will look like new, lol. Never underestimate a few good old boys, with some time on their hands. BK.

• Like 1

KoO could probably fill us in on the particulars. I think he's rescued a few that have been submerged a while. Something about cold,fresh water doesn't hurt them as bad as you think. They fish WWII training aircraft from the Great Lakes quite regularly.

The plan is to keep it as close to original as possible. Some of the sheet metal was damaged during the original recovery attempt back in the day so some pieces will need to be replaced. It did originally belong to the core but it was donated to a work program just north of where it went through. It was being used to build snowmobile trails when it broke through the ice.

One would reckon that there were extensive checks of oil etc before things started to turn?

Though the oil in a Merlin rescued from a Norwegian lake tested "in excellent condition"

6 hours ago, exSW said:

KoO could probably fill us in on the particulars. I think he's rescued a few that have been submerged a while. Something about cold,fresh water doesn't hurt them as bad as you think. They fish WWII training aircraft from the Great Lakes quite regularly.

Deep still water is low in oxygen. I frankly don't know about swamp water. Also, those aircraft are mostly aluminum, so don't corrode quite as readily. But, your point is valid, and how much worse could it be than sitting on its belly in mud and being (acid) rained on for sixty years?

Cool video, Amazing sprockets and idlers still turned and the paint is that good after that much time in the swamp. Hope the engine responds as good. Nice tune to go with the video.

Thanks for sharing.

3 hours ago, 806 man said:

Cool video, Amazing sprockets and idlers still turned and the paint is that good after that much time in the swamp. Hope the engine responds as good. Nice tune to go with the video.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks really belong to the orange folk

Now that I watched the video I know where that all took place! I live only 40 miles from there and never heard a thing about it ! Funny the news media never picked up on it or maybe it's good they didn't.

Amazing that after all those years they were able to get the tracks rolling...

It does appear do be in restorable condition... wish I had time to go help get this one running again!

Pretty amazing recovery !! Hope to see a video of it running again one day ...

16 hours ago, KWRB said:

Deep still water is low in oxygen. I frankly don't know about swamp water. Also, those aircraft are mostly aluminum, so don't corrode quite as readily. But, your point is valid, and how much worse could it be than sitting on its belly in mud and being (acid) rained on for sixty years?

The light alloy external parts of that Merlin mentioned above were pretty damaged so obviously depends

That was a very cool video!! I didn’t realize that was only 2 hours northwest of me?!?! I’m definitely going to Perham in August to see this ole girl in all her glory!!!!! 

41 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

That was a very cool video!! I didn’t realize that was only 2 hours northwest of me?!?! I’m definitely going to Perham in August to see this ole girl in all her glory!!!!! 

If you or any other forum members go and see it could you please post some pictures or better yet a video for us.

• Like 2

I know that the 24 is now near Perham, Mn, but where did it go into the swamp. They said something about Island Lake. I know there is an Island lake just north of Duluth, but there is probably many lakes by that name in Mn. How long was it in the swamp?

DWF

1 hour ago, DWF said:

I know that the 24 is now near Perham, Mn, but where did it go into the swamp. They said something about Island Lake. I know there is an Island lake just north of Duluth, but there is probably many lakes by that name in Mn. How long was it in the swamp?

DWF

Almost 44 years it was underwater/muck. 

4 hours ago, DWF said:

DWF

Just east of Detroit lakes.  I’m sure there are about 12 Island Lakes in MN.

8 hours ago, DWF said:

DWF

It is just north of Duluth.

Edited by augercreek
Need to add to