Sign in to follow this  
U-C

Rowse Dumprakes

Has anyone used a Rowse Dump rake on here? They seem to still make them

Image result for Rowse Dump Rakes

• Like 1

They were the only thing people used up here until finger wheel rakes became popular. Spent many hours on an A JD raking with a 36 ft rowse. Every body had 12 ft jds in the trees to.

There is an art to running a dump rake and that guy doesn’t have it. You slow down and lift as tire is approaching swath so they are all straight. I know he was cleaning up but when you turn and it lays the end 4 ft into a double e wad that choked most old baler. The dump rakes worked well on thin grass hay but you had a lot of cleanup with them.

• Like 1

The last dump rake we used had a seat on it and was pulled by horses.  I found the Rowse rakes on the internet several years ago and was amazed someone was buying them.  If I left that much hay out there as this guy in the video did, I would need one too I guess.

4 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

The last dump rake we used had a seat on it and was pulled by horses.  I found the Rowse rakes on the internet several years ago and was amazed someone was buying them.  If I left that much hay out there as this guy in the video did, I would need one too I guess.

Our local rowse dealer actually sold a new one this year. Guy from Watford city with oil money wanted a new one. They sell some out in California he said. The factory actually had 3 built but they were sold so they built the one he sold.

I use a H&S V rake now but still have my old 36' Rowse dump rake.

We get a lot of dust devil's that will destroy raked up windrows. If it's bad enough I will pull it out and "scatter rake". Can pick up a few more bales that would have been otherwise lost. 

I loved to rake when we stacked hay. And like Dale said it is an art to rake up good straight even windrows. And when turning at the end of a meadow to get the end of a 42' dump rake within a foot of the fence when it is going about 50 mph. I've fixed my share of fence and broke posts😁

I still have my 42 foot and brother still has Dads 30 foot rake. I am here to tell you that the 42 footer will push a SC Case through a fence if you are raking in 3rd gear and try to make a tight corner!😒The SC had hydraulics enough to run it great. My 730, a I had to use a pto pump. 
In 1997 I put up 4000 big round bales. Mowed with a double bar Kosch mounted on a 450 diesel, raked with the 730 Case diesel and baled with a CIH 8465 baler pulled by a 7045 Allis. Other than 350 bales, I did it all alone. Mow until 3 pm. Rake until dark then bale everything. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dale560 said:

Our local rowse dealer actually sold a new one this year. Guy from Watford city with oil money wanted a new one. They sell some out in California he said. The factory actually had 3 built but they were sold so they built the one he sold.

Interesting.  I’m was assuming most of their dump rake sales were/are in Nebraska.

48 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Interesting.  I’m was assuming most of their dump rake sales were/are in Nebraska.

They rake the vineyards and orchards with them. They also make a 12 ft model for out in California.

I probably saw an old steel wheeled dump rake or two in a hedge row as a kid. I do like the ideal of covering 36 and 42 feet per pass.  I liked covering 14 ft per pass with two side delivery rakes baling straw, put 28 ft+/- in a windrow so 24 windrows to bale in a 20 acre field. The old steel wheeled New Idea rake was missing more than a few teeth but WAY too much work to replace them.  Our "good" rake, a David Bradley followed my brother-in-law's Dad home from my Dad's first auction.

• Like 1

I have seen a number of dump rakes during my excursions in Nebraska.  Rowse was a common brand.  As far as raking width. Rowse has stayed true to its roots of large rakes with its wheel rakes.  The WR20 (the largest WR series) has a 39’ maximum effective working width, and the Ultimate 24 and 27 both have a maximum working width of about 47’.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I have seen a number of dump rakes during my excursions in Nebraska.  Rowse was a common brand.  As far as raking width. Rowse has stayed true to its roots of large rakes with its wheel rakes.  The WR20 (the largest WR series) has a 39’ maximum effective working width, and the Ultimate 24 and 27 both have a maximum working width of about 47’.  

Built in Burwell Nebraska. Rowse makes good stuff for hay.

• Like 1

mine was  42ft I think, used it to rake up flax straw. Think I paid $250 and then sold it later for $150. It was shot when I got it but worked for what I needed it for

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Yep. This one was on display at the rodeo in Burwell this past summer. Around here you would have so much hay in a windrow you would plug this rake up at the back. I pull two 10' swaths together with my rake and sometimes it makes too big a windrow in heavy hay. 

20190727_152811.thumb.jpg.e5a0bc64aa0885c995c3b5415fa11c5d.jpg

• Like 2

We still sell a lot of new Rowse hay equipment at our dealership...one of our biggest short lines. 
Still see a dump rake used here and there around here. Many more in the fence rows. 
We sell a lot of rakes and double 9’ mowers from Rowse with IH mower heads. 

86569396-BFF5-4A12-A29B-7F06638F4DAC.jpeg

82E3782A-3D85-4721-9564-2A5025E52462.jpeg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Built in Burwell Nebraska. Rowse makes good stuff for hay.

Good equipment, although some of there ideas are kinda quirky. Good people to work with too. I’m on my second Rowse rake, a WR20.  First one was a WR16. Wish I could afford a second WR20 and tractor to pull it. 

Another use for dump rakes.

Around here we winter graze. Pastures are left for winter range.

Some will mow the heaviest grass, rake into windrows then drive up and down the windrows dropping the rake until they have a reasonable sized pile then dump. 

Reason they do this is, if it snows, the cows can find the pile and eat into it.

Instead of bunching, some will leave small squares or half sized BRB's. The old AC rotobalers used to be popular for this but don't know anyone still running one today.

img.thumb.jpeg.51027f7434255f9b9ff834e75b2dc9af.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/20/2020 at 1:13 AM, sandhiller said:

I loved to rake when we stacked hay. And like Dale said it is an art to rake up good straight even windrows. And when turning at the end of a meadow to get the end of a 42' dump rake within a foot of the fence when it is going about 50 mph. I've fixed my share of fence and broke posts😁

Within a foot?  I think I missed a lot of the time by about an inch....  Had a sort of "spidey sense" about avoiding obstacles, and I never, not once, hit a post....  But I did brush a stack or bale or two, not hit, just brushed. 

Still have the 42'.  Stacked til about '97 I think.  Started haying without "the help" in '02, got the little H&S 16 wheel hi-cap about '03 or 4.  And I've been haying on my own completely since then.  Vrake works better with the baler.  But, drought years, sometimes the hay is so short you can barely tell where you mowed, not practical to run the baler over tiny windrows that aren't big enough to rake together with the V.  Luckily that's been a few years since that.

Any of you guys have the wheels start wobbling if you didn’t pin them in transport. You pinned front and rear but middle ones would go crazy. Had the rake start whipping once and pushed the A JD into hiway ditch. I was maybe 14 or 15. Got it slowed down stopped and took off again.

Was a few Rowse dump rakes around here. I never was around dump rake operation enough to remember how you'd rake up to a fence so a baler could get the whole windrow easy. 

3 hours ago, rancher_ said:

But, drought years, sometimes the hay is so short you can barely tell where you mowed, not practical to run the baler over tiny windrows that aren't big enough to rake together with the V.  Luckily that's been a few years since that.

Went through that in '89 to '91 when we were down by Mullen. If you have to mow hay like that, a dump rake will save a lot of trips through the meadow with the baler. And that what it is all about. Keep the hours on the baler as low as possible. 

23 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Was a few Rowse dump rakes around here. I never was around dump rake operation enough to remember how you'd rake up to a fence so a baler could get the whole windrow easy. 

That  rake load next to the fence you pull around so that it ends one rake width away from the fence. Hard to get  idea from picture in my head to words on paper. If you are raking East, you turn away from the fence and pull around and dump facing west. Am I making it better or worse???