oldtanker

Clean energy?

Years ago an old farmer said to me "silo's were a monument to man's stupidity" If that's true, they have since been replaced by wind generators. I read once that they are being subsidized up to 70 cents a kilowatt.

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Fiberglass blades are made in our town. I THOUGHT they were grinding up damaged blades and recycling them or some percentage of them but im not positive on that...

One of the farm magazines I get had an article on the blades. If I remember correct Wyoming agree'd to allow 400 or so of them to be buried in their state . Think of the fuel/manpower used in transportation and disposal. They are not recyclable. I hope they call before they dig. Might hit some old buried nuclear fuel rods from years ago.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

OK show me where these alleged subsidies are in the budget there Komrad? Or are they really just legal tax write offs that every business gets? I myself have looked and looked for these alleged subsidies from the first time I heard these allegations years ago and I still can't find em.

Tax write offs don't count. For example the money spent exploring for oil is a legitimate expense. Drilling and pumping, refining and such too. So just where are these subsidies? Even your vaunted story in Forbes doesn't say. In fact other than making claims they don't really substantiate anything nor do they provide any source info. After reading the fairy tail twice I'm even more convinced it's just more fake news. I'm very glad that we are out of the Paris accords. 

As far as I can see man made climate change is hoax. Wind and solar power is a joke. I much more trust the figures I get from the US department of energy than from any new fairy tale or from the UN or other "world sources".

Rick

2 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Innovation solves problems.

In yesteryear fields were plowed w/ horses.

OK, what powers that drone? A battery that has to be charged, most likely about 60% of the power to charge them coming from electricity generated by fossil fuels. A battery most likely made from lithium. A substance that has to be strip mined and has a finite amount that is currently mined. Big nasty strip mines in places Mexico, China and Africa plus the US and Canada. Gee that's real environmentally friendly! Plus plastics. They have lots of plastics. Some made from crude oil pumped out of the ground. Plus circuits. Lot of those circuits are highly toxic to the point that we ship many of them off shore to recycle what ever is reusable because the EPA won't issue permits to recycle them here. So even the wind turbine is not innovation. It's all a farce, even the drone.

Rick

• Like 1

I drove through one wind farm several years ago. Probably only 1 in 10 was turning.  Someone told me they could run them unless the other facilities couldn't produce enough power or something to that effect. I'm all for green power but I'm not totally convinced this is it.

1 hour ago, Wi Ih said:

Was there climate change then?

Maybe the Amish are doing it right!

Sure was, remember the dust bowl?

6 hours ago, mader656 said:

Wife's from Fort Madison they make them there. Where are you?

Tpi if it is still called that makes blades in Newton iowa. I know there are diff companies and some have mulitple plants, spread throught the US. 

Also trinity whivh has been sold and not sure what they are called now makes towers in the old Maytsg plant #2 building in the west portion of the building where sheet metal dep used to be.

7 hours ago, RBootsMI said:

They must not have the setback regulations we have here. Have plenty of them around, but they have to be like 1500 feet or more from a building or road. Thats what the regulations are designed for. They're not too noisy I don't think myself.

You ought to hear the one near my sons house.
Not exactly quiet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maynard said:

You ought to hear the one near my sons house.
Not exactly quiet.

The ones near us are loud. At 600 yards they are crazy loud even though the wind was blowing from my direction towards the windmill. I was hunting at the inlaws and couldn't believe how loud they were. I could barely hear the D8 backup beeper and tracks occasionally that was upwind of me yet I heard that windmill downwind. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Indy Farmer said:

Sure was, remember the dust bowl?

So then fossil fuel are not the cause of climate change?

And what I don’t understand is why don’t we subsidize geothermal? to me that something that would be really beneficial

Turtle wax 

how bad is natural gas regarding pollution? I know coal is pretty bad just curious how difficult it would be to create alternate energy and use something that is existing, i know there is a lot of old water powered hydraulic dam generators i guess that is not a viable solution due to irregular water tables.

I can think of a lot of ways to make things spin continuously with a lot less moving parts and ugly ginormous windmills in the landscape but i guess maybe the costs out weigh how much power is able to be generated? 71% of the earth is water that seems like the logical choice - if we can spend billions to mine oil in the ocean, surely we could get some power to land with the water that is out there. Im sure thats been researched I guess im just too stupid to realize the enormity of such a process. 

we talk about how much we have evolved as humans and how intelligent we are but that doesnt mean we are smart enough to make rational/logical decisions that are truly good for long term 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Fiberglass blades are made in our town. I THOUGHT they were grinding up damaged blades and recycling them or some percentage of them but im not positive on that...

Well, they have a yard full of junk blades in pieces and a sign on the fence that says they are to be recycled......

Green Energy,  Or Clean Energy is a bad way to say that what you want is a process to produce GREENER or CLEANER options than what you have.

Lot's of them 20 miles east of me. The red lights are all over the skyline at night. A bunch more going up all the time. I understand there is a 'wind corridor' that runs through the center of Iowa from Missouri into Minnesota. The ones in Iowa are owned by Mid-America energy which is owned by Warren Buffett.

They are going somewhere because every day you can see them on I-80 going east and west. The rest area at Underwood Ia is a major overnight stop for the trucks hauling the blades and towers.

1 hour ago, Wi Ih said:

And what I don’t understand is why don’t we subsidize geothermal? to me that something that would be really beneficial

They do thru tax credits. A neighbor of ours put in a geothermal system 4-5 years ago. It was 20 some thousand system. They ended up paying 7000.00 or got 7000.00 in tax credits I don't remember which. I frankly told them I don't know why I am paying for their heating system thru my taxes. I fix his tractors so I suppose i got some of my money back.

11 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Thats your argument??? Lol! Fossil fuels can be stored,dont stop when the wind quits or sometimes even when the wind is blowing! Lol! The mental gymnastics you have to perform to defend your viewpoint is breathtaking! 1st you guys believe al gore who burns more fossil fuels in a week than a small town does in a month yet tells us we have to go without! Now its a 16 yr old european girl who hasnt been alive long enough to understand how the climate changes despite ANYTHING we do! Its not man made nor is it an emergancey! Youve been duped! Not to mentio how the environut movement has scared said 16yr old into believing the worlds gonna end.  So much so to the point she thinks she gets to scold adults about a lie she believes! By the way i dont mind my taxes going towards fossil fuels but on the adverse i do mind them going to green energy which is contributing to lanfills. So whens the world gonna end? Do you believe the 10yr figure,or the 20yr figure and so on? Dod you believe em in the 70's when the next ice age was inevitable? Come on wake up man!

• Thanks 3

Atilla, I have disagree with the conclusions of the fossil fuel subsidy article. I followed the links to finally read the imfao article that made the computations.

The imf study is seriously flawed. It makes many sketchy assumptions and draws conclusions. I am experienced with economic analysis. If we used a similar procedure to compare most current green energy projects the cost per kw would be astonomical.

The real problem is we use so much energy and our disposable consumer society. If everyone in Africa and Asia lived like Americans think about how much
 pollution we would have. And they are working to match us.

Thx-Ace

• Thanks 2

Searcy u no coal is pretty bad? Where do u get your information?  Coal is very clean anymore. Thats steam coming out of those stacks not smoke. Also provides hundreds of good jobs. They were making windmill blading up in grand forks Nd. Now all the trucks come from the west. China! That’s who makes most of the blades now. A friend went to a meeting where they were wanting to put windmills on his land. They don’t give u a lot of facts. One fellow was really pushing, my friend didn’t recognize him. So where do u live he says, well just up the road, let me rephrase that we’re do  u hang your hat? Turns out he live 120 miles away and just owned some land locally. Just like the people back east. Not in my back yard!! There is a reason the electrical companies want them, more money in there pockets way of government and raised rates

If it’s free energy why do your rates go up. The electric company can make 13 percent profits in my state. They plan to invest a hundred million dollars the next 5 to 7 years. Do the math. If farmers had to take care of the environment the way coal plants do Pretty much none of us would farm. That is what the democrats want from us though,   We really are all in the same boat. Who doesn’t want a better environment but people who farm usually understand common sense to 

3 hours ago, Wi Ih said:

So then fossil fuel are not the cause of climate change?

Where was fossil fuel or for that matter man when the climate changed enough to melt the ice that covered much of North America? Heck they say where I sit right now was under 3-5 miles of ice. The also say that long before man or fossil fuels that most of the earth was tropical. And I really doubt that dino farts cause either change. The climate changes. It's the the nature of earth.

Rick

• Like 2