Sign in to follow this  
Cropcruisers

Stuart

You might expand on the problem a little bit to encourage some advice.

Lmao... is Stuart the tractors name? Yah what's going on with it exactly? 

• Haha 2

Guys, it’s obvious. He lost the key so it won’t start. That’s a major electrical problem!

Just kidding. Like others said, more information is needed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i think he is referring to stuart little the mouse - that is what he means by major electrical problems when the mouse gets in there - so what did i win? ! ? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Lmao... is Stuart the tractors name?

When I read this thread this afternoon, that is the first thing I thought of😂

I didn't want to be the smartazz to say it😁

Thanks MM for saying it for me🤣

No disrespect meant to anyone, just having a little fun today, hope the OP comes back on😀

• Haha 1

Hi folks, I lost my password details. So we had the tractor patched up again but now my 7140 has recently decided it will not start off of the key anymore. I replaced the ignition on it but every time I turn the key, I hear a clicking sound from what seems like one of the relays. I think I have identified the relay by simply resting my finger on it and feeling the click as I turn the key. Would my deduction be correct in this case ? We were crossing the starter to start it but now the tractor refuses to fire and instead we just hear the starter clicking. Have we done damage ? We were crossing the tractor at the 2 terminals on the firewall in front of the clutch pedal. I've enclosed the image of our ground stud as I assume this should be in the floor and not heaped up like this ? We have a lot of rewiring done since we bought the tractor but as these are pretty rare here in ireland, not many want to work on them. As you can see, it was a mess !

20200118_203618.jpg

• Sad 3

Were you the Stuart fron Ireland that was on here a couple of years ago with major fuel issues on a 7140 that was cobbled together horribly?

• Like 1

It is not uncommon to replace the solenoid on the firewall above the clutch pedal,  The obvious things need to be checked,  Full charges on 2 good batteries, clean battery terminals conducting current to the starter,    A "Good" ground to the complete System!

Looking at your Picture, you might find other wires under the cab exposed to the weather that might be in poor condition.

Take your time,     I don't see any melted wires,     Or over stressed by heat connections,     Start at the beginning,     head towards the starter,     that is your largest electrical current draw.

We want to hear your progress and results.

My 2 cents,  Jim Droscha

• Like 3

Well welcome back. I apologize for making light of your post, it was all in fun and welcome back. We are a bunch of clowns. Jim said it best above. We want to help you. So to repeat what he said, start with batteries and cables. How are they? 

• Like 3

Hi Reichow ! Yes it's me. I lost all my login details previous. So the tractor was doing fine albeit not doing any major work. Then, one evening the gauze in the lift pump blocked. Cue the multiple cursing about fuel. Anyway, sorted it but suddenly lost my ignition. Used the solenoid at the front to jump it but now that doesnt work anymore and just causes a lot of clicking noises. Praying I dont have to replace the starter or solenoid as the tractor is due to take on a large tillage job next week

I also have full voltage at the starter motor. Voltmeter in cab reads 14.4. Reading on current tester 14.4. 

so u have been jumping across the solenoid with a screwdriver blade to get it to run for a while and now that stopped working? 

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

I also have full voltage at the starter motor. Voltmeter in cab reads 14.4. Reading on current tester 14.4. 

So your checking it at one of the larger posts?  Maybe this is a little elementary for you so no offense if so. But you should have full battery voltage on one big post. After you turn the key to start it should send voltage 14v to a small post and energize a coil which pulls in a large set of contacts internally that will send power from the big post to the other big post. So when you turn the key to start do you get 14v on one smaller post? Do you have 14v on both big posts? Cant picture your starter exactly but this should be how it is. May get some help to troubleshoot. If you have 14v on one big post and you jump it with a screwdriver it should arc and spark and turn over. Make sure your voltage doesnt disappear under a load from a bad connection. DC likes to do this. You can always try the hammer trick. Tap around on it with a hammer (dont ruin it) if I takes off theres your problem. 

• Like 1

block of wood between hammer and starter ain't all bad........

If the starter mount is its own ground it can corrode and not be up to snuff causing clicks and intermittent issues

yours may have a ground strap 

13 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

So your checking it at one of the larger posts?  Maybe this is a little elementary for you so no offense if so. But you should have full battery voltage on one big post. After you turn the key to start it should send voltage 14v to a small post and energize a coil which pulls in a large set of contacts internally that will send power from the big post to the other big post. So when you turn the key to start do you get 14v on one smaller post? Do you have 14v on both big posts? Cant picture your starter exactly but this should be how it is. May get some help to troubleshoot. If you have 14v on one big post and you jump it with a screwdriver it should arc and spark and turn over. Make sure your voltage doesnt disappear under a load from a bad connection. DC likes to do this. You can always try the hammer trick. Tap around on it with a hammer (dont ruin it) if I takes off theres your problem. 

When you refer to posts, what do you mean ?

He's talking about where the wires connect to your starter solenoid i believe. Big wire , big post =big terminal, little wire, little post = little terminal

• Like 1

Also, are you saying your checking voltage some where other than right at starter it's self? Im betting on a poor connection or ground or maybe bad solenoid. 

Both batteries, and at the starter

13 hours ago, Stuart said:

When you refer to posts, what do you mean ?

Yep. The large studs with wires bolted to them. Terminal post is what we or I refer to them as.