cedar farm

Snow and wind

Not sure how much snow, but its 1 degree out and wind gusts of 45 mph. We were sitting really good on very little snow until yesterday morning. Kind of a mess out there. Darn global warming.

DSCF0293.JPG

DSCF0294.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't think we got that much snow, 3-4 inches I suppose. But it's really blowing around today.

Sioux falls kelo weather was predicting 6-8 inches. We are 25 miles se of SF. 

Makes me shiver just looking at those pics we only got a little freezing rain here in central kansas We always think winter is about over but last year we had the same type of blowing drifting snow your showing in your pics there only ours was march 3 last yr

53 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

We are 25 miles se of SF. 

25 miles SE of FSD must not be too far from my B-I-L's farm at Ocheydan.

best, randy

Sleepy Eye looks like the tundra today, amd yes that is my 4 year old in the orange walking into the outhouse in a blizzard to use it, he said he likes it haha20200118_172809.thumb.jpg.6aafffde5d2c11a20d8a995e828b151f.jpgScreenshot_20200118-172735_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5a5ecf2fdf2c9abb697e5da5c53975ad.jpg

• Like 2

I see a sun dog in that picture, yep, it's cold.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

25 miles SE of FSD must not be too far from my B-I-L's farm at Ocheydan.

best, randy

Its about 45-50 miles straight east of me. Must be a large front. I talked to a friend of mine from by Horicon WI and they are getting the same snow/wind

There are definitely a lot of drifts on the gravel roads. Paved roads aren't so bad if you can see.from the blowing snow. Wind has died down now and it's right a 0 degrees. I've been moving snow for the past 3 hours or so and went to put the 756 away, got out and a back tire is hissing around the valve stem!! 😩 Called the manager at the Coop station and he agreed to meet me there so drove the 5 miles and got it inside so they can work on it Monday.  Hopefully I won't need to dig out tomorrow. 

46 minutes ago, bkorth said:

I see a sun dog in that picture, yep, it's cold.

Always thought it was weird calling it a sun dog, a rainbow is a sign from God but we call it dog which is God backwards 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

Always thought it was weird calling it a sun dog, a rainbow is a sign from God but we call it dog which is God backwards 

It's real name is a parhelion, and is a result of ice crystals in the atmosphere. The interesting part is how it's always seen at a 22 degree angle from the sun. A rainbow is the same thing, but with unfrozen water. It's cool, but nothing magical about it.

Science is always fascinating.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

Sleepy Eye looks like the tundra today, amd yes that is my 4 year old in the orange walking into the outhouse in a blizzard to use it, he said he likes it haha20200118_172809.thumb.jpg.6aafffde5d2c11a20d8a995e828b151f.jpgScreenshot_20200118-172735_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5a5ecf2fdf2c9abb697e5da5c53975ad.jpg

I'll bet if he was going in for a no. 2 he wouldn't be liking it too much!

Must be winter, it looks like the lunar landscape outside.

Think Spring!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

I'll bet if he was going in for a no. 2 he wouldn't be liking it too much!

It was a number 2 if it was one it would he outside, he uses it all the time 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, cedar farm said:

about 45-50 miles straight east......Must be a large front

Ah-so on Ocheydan.  I grew up just a few miles south of Lake Park.  And look's'ta me like you're over there in the corner of the state not too far from where we drove trucks thru Sibley to the SUX stockyards.  And now that I recall those days, seems to me like there was a big festival at Orange City every year?

Changing the subject here to the WX, snowing again here up in the Cities, not a lot of wind.

best, randy  

3 minutes ago, Randy Sohn said:

Ah-so on Ocheydan.  I grew up just a few miles south of Lake Park.  And look's'ta me like you're over there in the corner of the state not too far from where we drove trucks thru Sibley to the SUX stockyards.  And now that I recall those days, seems to me like there was a big festival at Orange City every year?

Changing the subject here to the WX, snowing again here up in the Cities, not a lot of wind.

best, randy  

The Orange City Tulip festival is every May. People dress up in traditional Dutch outfits and show the old Dutch way of life. Funny we are of 100% Dutch heritage and I've never been there and its only 35-40 miles away. I think my wife went a few times before when she was young.  But we drive 2-3 hours to a threshing bee. Better than looking at tulips. FarmerFixEmUp is a fellow Dutchman. Maybe he has been there and taken a selfie in front of some tulips. Let us know!!

Mike 

22 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

The Orange City Tulip festival is every May. People dress up in traditional Dutch outfits and show the old Dutch way of life. Funny we are of 100% Dutch heritage and I've never been there and its only 35-40 miles away. I think my wife went a few times before when she was young.  But we drive 2-3 hours to a threshing bee. Better than looking at tulips. FarmerFixEmUp is a fellow Dutchman. Maybe he has been there and taken a selfie in front of some tulips. Let us know!!

Mike 

Yeah Lyle's real close.  I think he tip toes through the tulips wherever they are though.

• Haha 1

We had the winds Friday night and Sat morning but only sleet and snow pellets. 

Winds have calmed down, sun is out, beautiful day.

Funny thing is the 10 day calls for highs in the upper 30's and lower 40's.

If that holds true, it will be the first January I can remember that we didn't have a spell of -20 weather.

Not complaining a bit and hope it isn't waiting for February. 

Got that snow today , 

4 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

It was a number 2 if it was one it would he outside, he uses it all the time 

He must be a tough little guy, I'd rather 'squat and drop' than sit on a frozen seat!

4 hours ago, cedar farm said:

Tulip Festival

Wow!  That's the name that I was tryin' to think of!   That was a big deal to go to when I was growing up.

best, randy

Just now, Randy Sohn said:

Wow!  That's the name that I was tryin' to think of!   That was a big deal to go to when I was growing up.

best, randy

And now that I recall more, we had a couple of Dutch farm neighbors on our schoolbus ride/route (early 40s) to Excelsior School south of Lake Park, IIRC we referred to them as "Hollanders"?

best, randy

When my grandpa and his brothers came over with their parents from Holland in 1904 they settled near Inwood.  All Norwegians in the area at that time. When they started in country school they were asked what they were. They said "we are Hollanders". One of the Norwegian kids said "aint that some kind of Indian" Grandpa said the teacher had to break up a fight.  Soon there came a bunch more Hollanders all with their big 10-12 kid families and now they out number the rest. I am in Lyon county. You should see a Sioux county phone book and look under "V"

Mike

46 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

am in Lyon county

Ah-so, copy-copy!  Dad came from Primghar or Paulina, his dad from Germany.  Growing up south of Lake Park we always figured that the Clay Co. fair at Spencer must be the biggest thing in the world.

best, randy