FarmerFixEmUp

Drain Pan for Hydraulic Oil

I kind of needed another drain pan for draining the HyTran out of the rear ends of these tractors and had an auto parts store get me this. 

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/FloTool/FT42008.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn7WOz5qL5wIVQdbACh1RKgWsEAQYASABEgIH7PD_BwE

image.png.d3d2846e6fe434064d2ce48f341d6a93.png

I guess I thought it would be open on top. The picture in the tool catalog wasn't very clear, should have looked online I guess. I don't believe that hole will allow the oil in fast enough since they drain pretty fast.Also I normally use an old oil pump on a drill to suck it back into the reservoir. This would work if I chopped a hole in it. What are you guys using? 

KIMG0680.thumb.JPG.8a4fa34332ddee0cdee1ff4ed3a0c8f5.JPGKIMG0678.thumb.JPG.7400047a03bf894847b2790b6cfd469d.JPGKIMG0679.thumb.JPG.d5526b94ea9b6aa8615911c000cfef27.JPG

We use cut off ends of truck fuel tanks, with that said, I usually use the tractor to pump out most of the cavity into a drum out a remote before I start draining.  If keeping the oil to put back in, it leaves the remote, goes through a hydraulic filter base and into the drum.  To fill I just lift the barrel on the forks, oil leaves through a ball valve down a hose into the rear.  I got a bung with an air fitting to put in the vent side of the drum and add acouple psi of air so it doesn't take all day if I am in a hurry.

I had one similar to that for cars and trucks. The drain hole couldn't keep up and once the oil hits the sloped plastic it just splashes out and ends up on the floor. I used it about 3 times before I cut the top off of it so it was an open container. Much less mess this way. Just don't cut off the spout for pouring the oil out of the pan.

Jesse

8 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

so it doesn't take all day if I am in a hurry.

When were you EVER in a hurry?

I`d hate to pick that thing up full of fluid!

Better man than me.

• Haha 1

Just now, MTO said:

When were you EVER in a hurry?

Shhhhhh........That is a secret, I charged by the hour:ph34r::lol:

Here's the other one, part of a 55 gallon drum. 

KIMG0681.thumb.JPG.548667c49571dc276a33f24469015f4b.JPG 

I usually let the tractor hydraulics pump out what they can too if the tractor runs. 

• Like 2

I use a cutoff 15 gallon drum with an expanded metal screen about 2 inches below the top to catch the drain plug.  It holds about 5 gallons. Could also make a larger one out of a 55 gal drum.  Handles on the sides make it easy to handle.

I've seen cut the bottom 6 inches off a chemical shuttle skid... Put a pump on the drain to empty it and use a palate jack to manipulate it around.

Drums are kinda flimsy after you cut them........I like the cut off fuel tanks.  Should weld a bung in them to drain, but never did.  Cut hand holes in them and they are easy to move around too.

Concrete mixing boxes are great drain boxes for liquids.   They come in two sizes and cost lest than $10. at home depot or lowes.  Thet last about a year in the sun but out of the light they will last a much longer time. Strong and durable they are one of the last bargains I know of. They are also great for mixing a few bags of ready-mix for setting posts!!  16 gallon SS beer barrels are great storage containers after you add a few bungs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

I kind of needed another drain pan for draining the HyTran out of the rear ends of these tractors and had an auto parts store get me this. 

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/FloTool/FT42008.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn7WOz5qL5wIVQdbACh1RKgWsEAQYASABEgIH7PD_BwE

I guess I thought it would be open on top. The picture in the tool catalog wasn't very clear, should have looked online I guess. I don't believe that hole will allow the oil in fast enough since they drain pretty fast.Also I normally use an old oil pump on a drill to suck it back into the reservoir. This would work if I chopped a hole in it. What are you guys using? 

KIMG0680.thumb.JPG.8a4fa34332ddee0cdee1ff4ed3a0c8f5.JPGKIMG0678.thumb.JPG.7400047a03bf894847b2790b6cfd469d.JPGKIMG0679.thumb.JPG.d5526b94ea9b6aa8615911c000cfef27.JPG

I use one just like that to change oil in my semi. Love it. However during the drain time I take the spout cap off and take the little green vent cap out to give it all the air it can get. Have yet to spill any. 

I'll stick with my cutoff 55 gal drum for draining engines or  transmissions Not high tech  but gets the job done

• Like 1

I use the old 86 series auxiliary fuel tanks (square side tank) that are cut in half for a drain pan...the can hold 20+ gallons.

At work we have 2 otc transfer tankers.  They work well but I believe they are about 600 dollars.  They have an electric pump to empty themselves.  I think I would try to modify that so it will work for you.  

8 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

I have that exact same drain pan and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!

The biggest trick to using it is to have the vent cap open BEFORE you start dropping oil into it and to place the opening directly underneath the drain plug.

At one of my jobs, we built one out of a 55gal. drum cut in half vertically. Made sure to center the large bung on the bottom to be the drain. Small angle iron welded around the cut edge and angles down the corners for casters. Then made a hinged lid of angle frame and expanded metal to catch drain plug and set filters on to drain. An old electric motor and a used hydraulic pump mounted on the wall of the shop with a hose running outside to the waist oil tank. Worked great, just had to set the end away from the bung, up on a block to empty the barrel.

• Like 1

I still use 5 gallon buckets along with my shop vac.

shop vac holds the hy-tran to allow switching buckets

and not make a mess.  works pretty slick.  

jmho

16 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Yeah, we never willingly throw away a five-gallon bucket.

One guy one here cuts the ends out of the bottom, stacked them up for drain pipe.....................One of those legends right up there with the Lock Ness Monster, man or myth?

26 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

One guy one here cuts the ends out of the bottom, stacked them up for drain pipe.....................One of those legends right up there with the Lock Ness Monster, man or myth?

He's gone... 

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

That sounds like it could be quite strong if you nested each pail together.  Granted you would only get 4” or so per pail, but it would be a great way to recycle pails and get a culvert.

1 hour ago, 1586 Jeff said:

That sounds like it could be quite strong if you nested each pail together.  Granted you would only get 4” or so per pail, but it would be a great way to recycle pails and get a culvert.

Or you could fix all your leaks and use the savings to buy culvert...and not have a sheen in the drainage ditch...