Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lazy WP

Haying pictures

Recommended Posts

Weather is garbage, and I am home for the day, so I will see if I can't share some warmer pictures.IMG_0185.thumb.JPG.2019a8dd708838a54048674089e78e45.JPG1276660376_830851.jpg.1794c736155adf12eadcf48880194485.jpg890779696_Jessiebaling.jpg.3803195396770f692c852085b448af93.jpg438193049_826rake.jpg.8f813472ecf7a795ef23080e33fb34c4.jpg125421017_400mowers.jpg.cc2d2953fd08673a338d341855dcdaa4.jpg733164132_casesweep4.jpg.c3b4418b0cfb3a753e65d4c175e002dd.jpgIMG_0040.thumb.JPG.40bbdc56aa306d017333b33c9b4f024f.JPG

DC rake.jpg

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What brand is the double sickle mower on the 300/400? Never seen anything like that.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

What brand is the double sickle mower on the 300/400? Never seen anything like that.

Kosch, that back bar raises up points the opposite way for transport. Narrow for going through gates and such but pretty tall when trailering, have clipped a few low hanging wires with mineūüėĚ

My three boys learned to mow with a set of those. Only on an M with narrow front. Would make good square corners. They have told me ps would have been nice.

Those sweep head teeth look pretty new. Assuming you put more of a point on them before you used them? Ours always had a pretty good point on them for slipping under the hay. They could be run into the ground if not careful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

What brand is the double sickle mower on the 300/400? Never seen anything like that.

Its a 400. Had the best power steering ever! It would turn right just by letting go of the wheel. Paid $1000 for the set up and am kicking myself for selling it. Best mowing outfit other then my 450 diesel that was set up the same way. Sold it too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Kosch, that back bar raises up points the opposite way for transport. Narrow for going through gates and such but pretty tall when trailering, have clipped a few low hanging wires with mineūüėĚ

My three boys learned to mow with a set of those. Only on an M with narrow front. Would make good square corners. They have told me ps would have been nice.

Those sweep head teeth look pretty new. Assuming you put more of a point on them before you used them? Ours always had a pretty good point on them for slipping under the hay. They could be run into the ground if not careful. 

I think that was built in Atkinson, or Bassett. I can't remember where I the pictures of the sweep, but there is one of the Case guys in their white coveralls. By the time I ran a sweep, the teeth were pointy and short.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do you have close up pictures of the sweep, what model case, was it running in reverse?, or was the ring gear flipped to make it go forward?   nice old cases

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Fred B said:

do you have close up pictures of the sweep, what model case, was it running in reverse?, or was the ring gear flipped to make it go forward?   nice old cases

That would have been either a 430 or 530 with the manual shuttle. They would actually go faster in reverse then forward. 
I will put some more pictures of the sweep up this evening 

I am somewhat of a Case fan. The one on the rake was Grandpa’s DC. The baler tractor is a 830 and my favorite is the 800 with the loader. Both the 800 and 830 are Case O Matic. I seriously doubt you could start that many bales in that soft of ground with a real clutch. 
The 826, is a hydro. Was a great tractor and the 1486 on the baler  had a brand new motor. Was never a big fan of the 86 series but that one I loved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You still have any of this stuff.

As sad as it is we are a member of the still running a New Holland 850 round baler club. Got it for free this year and fixed it up to help the square baler cover our hay ground. Hard to beat free even if i did have to do some fixing ( don't have to pay for the baler so it leaves a lot of room for parts)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

You still have any of this stuff.

As sad as it is we are a member of the still running a New Holland 850 round baler club. Got it for free this year and fixed it up to help the square baler cover our hay ground. Hard to beat free even if i did have to do some fixing ( don't have to pay for the baler so it leaves a lot of room for parts)

Have all 3 Case tractors but that‚Äôs it. ūüė° Both the balers I paid $300 each and when I was done in Nebraska so were they.¬†

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fred B said:

do you have close up pictures of the sweep, what model case, was it running in reverse?, or was the ring gear flipped to make it go forward?   nice old cases

sweep1.jpg.f82f6eb547576eec68e4d8a5837a847f.jpg1161981301_sweep2.jpg.800339b4fe71f077261a75dd023e3cb4.jpgsweep3.jpg.84d60889aa17659b61b448cb82665543.jpg

That has to be a 430. A 530 had the hydraulic pump off of the flywheel, or someplace there.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IH Forever said:

What brand is the double sickle mower on the 300/400? Never seen anything like that.

Nothing like that around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ky966boy said:

Nothing like that around here.

Kosch MFG, Columbus, Nebr. 

They still make a belly mount sickle mower but think they quit production of of the mounted doubles like in Lazy WP's pics.

Good company good product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Kosch MFG, Columbus, Nebr. 

They still make a belly mount sickle mower but think they quit production of of the mounted doubles like in Lazy WP's pics.

Good company good product.

They are building a lot of double bar disc mowers now. Their headquarters is kinda strange. All sorts of domed huts tied together. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the close ups of the sweep, must have been on new delivery.¬† yeah, probably a 430 i have a 200, and it has the instrument¬† panel of the 300 same as your sweep.¬† maybe an after market outfit did the sweep conversion. i t looks like that¬† front hyd pump may be part if the package. looks like those chains with the hyd ram lifts and dumps the load.¬† i also have a 5 and 630 with the 12 speed trans, they will do 25 MPH.¬† is the sweep still in use?¬† ¬† ¬† ūüėĬ† ¬† ¬† ¬†CASE¬† should have had¬† JD,s sales people.¬† ¬†¬†

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the Cases I know of are gone. There might be one sitting at Assman Implement east of Mission South Dakota. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was the idea of the sweep?When were they popular and last used? If they were for loose hay  closest thing I could think of on the east coast would be a dump rake.Then I guess hay would be loaded by hand on flat wagons,hauled into barn with horses,lifted off wagons with mow forks on tracks.That would be my dad's time as a kid and he be 94 if he was alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jacka said:

What was the idea of the sweep?When were they popular and last used? If they were for loose hay  closest thing I could think of on the east coast would be a dump rake.Then I guess hay would be loaded by hand on flat wagons,hauled into barn with horses,lifted off wagons with mow forks on tracks.That would be my dad's time as a kid and he be 94 if he was alive.

Originally they were used to push hay up to either a slide stacker or an overshot stacker. I have never been around either of those, other then at a distance. Another term for them is buck rake. 
We used them to gather hay behind a dump rake and bring it to a tractor and loader which made the hay stacks. We used the sweep because they were maneuverable and light so you could get down into the swamps. Lots of hay ground would heave as you drove across it. The water table was right there. 1 good guy on a sweep could almost keep the loader busy, in good hay. 
The height of the sweep was probably the late 60s early 70s. We were about the last of them in 85. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of these pics are mine, not sure we ever took any pics of haying or the hay crew.

This is an overthrow or overshot stacker and similar what we used. 

105279856_overshotstacker.jpg.ea6f81e0807e7e721d0ee297c6b546a6.jpg

This is a slide stacker. Never used one but they seemed heavy to move to me. 

1974131070_slidestacker2.jpg.194c5991f9c4da125ca051371acccbd2.jpg

pushing hay up with a tractor sweep, we used all tractor sweeps

1146719603_slidestacker3.jpg.08790042ccfc2051b75d5b10f5c7ef3d.jpg

pushing hay up with a truck sweep

352348089_slidestacker.jpg.75bc8b9750067890e37e7408b5410e7c.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you put roof on them to keep rain and snow off.Here they would turn into a big pile of compost if you didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacka said:

Would you put roof on them to keep rain and snow off.Here they would turn into a big pile of compost if you didn't.

You have to remember that that area averages17 inches of moisture and normally freezes up in November and doesn’t thaw all the way out until April. If you get a good crown on the stacks, they shed water quite well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My small hay operation, have a 210 swather, jd hay rake pulled with the 544, and a 430 baler pulled with the wheatland or 1456, I only have 2 to 3 steers at a time for beef and for the kids to have a good childhood. Baler ain't the best but it will do for now since I'm a small timer20190601_173448.thumb.jpg.53d44ca458dd20287da81d8829a18c31.jpg20191018_140107.thumb.jpg.16789f9471de0ded2e196e979064617c.jpg20190608_121053.thumb.jpg.756803a54116db98a1ba02b3620c87db.jpg20190824_182133.thumb.jpg.9ca6acb187142728b44080f328ec95bf.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

My small hay operation, have a 210 swather, jd hay rake pulled with the 544, and a 430 baler pulled with the wheatland or 1456, I only have 2 to 3 steers at a time for beef and for the kids to have a good childhood. Baler ain't the best but it will do for now since I'm a small timer20190601_173448.thumb.jpg.53d44ca458dd20287da81d8829a18c31.jpg20191018_140107.thumb.jpg.16789f9471de0ded2e196e979064617c.jpg20190608_121053.thumb.jpg.756803a54116db98a1ba02b3620c87db.jpg20190824_182133.thumb.jpg.9ca6acb187142728b44080f328ec95bf.jpg

Looks like the JD hay rake we had when I was a kid. Think it was a 894a i think. Have a JD 64 and a free New Holland 256 now on dolly wheels 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my customers ranches never saw a bailer until about 2012, it was loose hay in stacks till the kids left in the 70s then went to a stackhand system till it all got all put in crp in the 80s. Came out round 12 and that was the first bale made on the ranch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody remember Haybusters? They were fairly popular when we came to Cherry Co in the late 80's although BRB's were pushing them out.

Photo_2004_12_17_21_35_21(754x524).jpg.0b2ab850e72430242a6ea9cecff25b17.jpg

1076061427_Photo_2004_12_17_21_36_18(748x518)(1).jpg.6c55fd27bae1c2d6ee534b154710213a.jpg

Photo_2004_12_17_21_39_39(754x524).jpg.53d69b1dceccc9e098d4a99adfe2264e.jpg

222704907_Photo_2004_12_17_21_41_46(754x524)(1).jpg.f6c728bc4aecb63bcbb7c96fb0eab4c1.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Anybody remember Haybusters? They were fairly popular when we came to Cherry Co in the late 80's although BRB's were pushing them out.

Photo_2004_12_17_21_35_21(754x524).jpg.0b2ab850e72430242a6ea9cecff25b17.jpg

1076061427_Photo_2004_12_17_21_36_18(748x518)(1).jpg.6c55fd27bae1c2d6ee534b154710213a.jpg

Photo_2004_12_17_21_39_39(754x524).jpg.53d69b1dceccc9e098d4a99adfe2264e.jpg

222704907_Photo_2004_12_17_21_41_46(754x524)(1).jpg.f6c728bc4aecb63bcbb7c96fb0eab4c1.jpg

That 300 is a collector item. They stopped making them then did the 150 bidi.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...