Jeff-C-IL

Injectors for D312 obsolete

Just a heads up:

I bought a 666 recently, and as I usually do on any used tractor, I pulled the injectors and sent them in to be tested.  They popped right out--no "stuck in head" sort of things.

I also pulled the valve cover and checked the valves.

This tractor is interesting at that >6000 hours, inside the valve cover is completely clean.  also, the valves were all set to 0.020 clearance (+/- 0.001)!!   That's what my IH service book reprint calls for, although Big Steve says his book says 0.016 and 0.021 (IIRC, please correct this if I'm wrong).  Anybody have any suggestions why the discrepancy in books for the D312? 

Anyway, sure looks like the engine has been worked on recently.

I was thus surprised when the Injection people called me and told me the injectors were shot, and that they were having a real time finding parts as the nozzles were obsolete.   He told me that they had to call all over to various injection places and got 1 here, 2 there-- just managed to find enough to do the set of 6.   He joked I should treat them like gold and keep them in a foam padded case until installation!

Upshot is that the D312 injector nozzles are apparently NLA. 

I think they can be had from CIH as remanufactured. The part number is 631570C91.

There's a serial mumber break on the valve lash setting. Engine Serial  # 2504 and below have .012 Intake and .021 Exhaust. 

Serial number 2505 and up have .016 Intake and .021 Exhaust.

Seems to me there was a camshaft change or something. 

All the 360's used .012 and .021. I'd think it's the same camshaft.

1 hour ago, FarmallFan said:

631570C91

Per Messick's website:

" A part on your order has been discontinued. We allow the ordering of discontinued parts because Messick's has several places to source these items after the manufacturer has ended support. Inventories in these warehouses are not available electronically. We encourage you to place an order, and we will do our best to locate the parts you need. "

Unfortunately this is what happens when you get an engine that was only used in one low production tractor model from 45+ years ago...

Just drill put your injectors with a 1/4in drill bit, guarentee you more power. It's what Tim Talor would do

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

There's a serial mumber break on the valve lash setting. Engine Serial  # 2504 and below have .012 Intake and .021 Exhaust. 

Serial number 2505 and up have .016 Intake and .021 Exhaust.

Seems to me there was a camshaft change or something. 

All the 360's used .012 and .021. I'd think it's the same camshaft.

Wonder why my book calls for 0.020 on all....weird.  Guess I'll need to go back thru them.

42 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Wonder why my book calls for 0.020 on all....weird.  Guess I'll need to go back thru them.

I'd leave them all at 0.20 but there is a serial number break you'll have to see where your engine is listed  a lot of the 400 series engines are 0.25 on all valves

Did you check with Injpumped on the injectors?

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

No.  Mac @ Midwest Fuel Injection has been my go-to guy since I was in my teens.....always done a good job for me on "stock" stuff.   If they hadn't been able to get them, I certainly would have asked on here!   One of these days I should stop at Injpumped since he's not that far away either. 

6 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Per Messick's website:

" A part on your order has been discontinued. We allow the ordering of discontinued parts because Messick's has several places to source these items after the manufacturer has ended support. Inventories in these warehouses are not available electronically. We encourage you to place an order, and we will do our best to locate the parts you need. "

Unfortunately this is what happens when you get an engine that was only used in one low production tractor model from 45+ years ago...

The CaseIH parts site is where I looked. 

9 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Per Messick's website:

2 models. Not that it matters too much in this case. 

5 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

2 models. Not that it matters too much in this case. 

Early 686

Hydro 70

Early Hydro 86

I thought these injectors are the same type as the 400 series?  Thx-Ace

53 minutes ago, acem said:

I thought these injectors are the same type as the 400 series?  Thx-Ace

I'm no expert but I'd imagine the 400 series injectors may fit but they are built to different specifications, as the larger engines need more fuel.

6 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Early 686

Hydro 70

Early Hydro 86

Yeah, forgot the 70 and the Hydro 86. I was wrong also. Thanks. 

I have the large sized 400 series injectors in my 312. Runs just fine, adjust the power with the fuel screw in the pump. Just an fyi, I pull with it, take with it, and haul forage boxes. It's not just a shed queen. 

Why did IH stop using the 312 and the 360 in favor of the Neuss built engines?

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 4:39 PM, neukm said:

Why did IH stop using the 312 and the 360 in favor of the Neuss built engines?

They needed the production capacity for the DT-466 as it was beginning to be used in trucks in the mid to late 70s.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:56 PM, jass1660 said:

X2. Best guy in the business as far as I’m concerned 

312 nozzles are in stock at my shop, just have to know where to buy them. lol! I've been at gordyville for the last 4 days though. NBM770052? I've used them in 666, H70, 686, 766. Not sure what ones mac thought you needed, but I worked there from 96-99. He can fib a little lol! Warehouse in Wi has plenty of the 770052. Any 312/360 farm tractor I've rebuilt injectors for used this one. Of course I do plenty of pulling ones too, which we treat like a 400 series. The holes are smaller, is the main difference.

Well, lets hope he got the right ones!  Three guys told me the same story.  I called in and got Mac, he said they were having trouble getting the nozzles.  When I picked them up one of the other guys told me they had a hard time scrounging the nozzles.  Stoller's looked them up on CIH Parts and ... 673598C1 is superseded--with no new # & no stock.  So now I'm curious!  Its good to know that they are still available at least!

I wondered if you had ever worked for or with them, they have been there a while.   Mac is retiring "very soon".    I can remember when they were down where the rental place is.  To me, their current building (which they are moving out of) is the "new place".   

Guess I'll have to give you a call next time!

Needless to way, I'm not working on the tractor right now...~ 10 degrees in the shop!

I worked there when it was next to tower. That is where I started, and mac loves to tell people he taught me everything I know lol! I did learn a lot there, but from Ron lol! I went through the application lists and don't see anything but A code for a 312. Those are used in some early 766, and even 966. Later ones seem to use code J, but not the 312. There's lots of those tractors that use these nozzles still out there, so it's not such an odd ball like many think it is. I'd be interested in hearing what number they are looking for. I buy from the same warehouse they do, Diesel Forward in Windsor WI is the Central Distributor for the Mid-West area. Many times I can clean and re-use the old nozzles too. Most of the big shops won't do that, can't make enough money to cover their overhead doing that lol! FWIW, Big Steve has been up here.