Sign in to follow this  
TractormanMike.mb

Close call!

3 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

My mission for today was to pick up the small bulldozer from the job we are on now and plow some snow on some roads to freeze them  on a job we moving to in a few weeks. 

I took one of the log trucks with the tow behind trailer to get dozer. Got to the job, got the dozer started which was a chore since it was 10 degrees this morning and loaded the truck with logs while the dozer warmed up. After I loaded the truck I parked by the dozer and got ready to load it on the trailer. The dozer was nice and warm so I drove it around a little to work everything and started to walk it up the ramps. As soon as it rocked into the trailer deck I felt the dozer starting to slide sideways. I grabbed on to the hand rails as hard as I could and rode it out, right off the trailer and onto its side. As soon as it hit the ground I reached over and shut the engine off and then got up and assessed the damages, luckily there were none to me or the dozer.

I called my co-worker and told him my predicament and he asked if I was ok, I said yes but my pride was a bit  beat up. We pondered different solutions to put the dozer back on its tracks and figured the best way would be to pile snow next to it and have the processor pull it over into the pile so it wouldn't slam to the ground when it came over.

Long story short we got everything right side up and I was even able to get some of my plowing done today. The only thing that was lost was the three to four hours it took me to fix my mistake. The whole thing could have been a lot worse, I definitely had someone watching over me this morning.

glad you are ok mike wshooo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

They always used old car tires to climb up the ramps and on the deck to park the dozer on . 

Believe it or not my dad told me they never chained that old D 6 Cat down and hauled them all over around our home town

Yessir. An old cat skinner for the forest service out west retired to our little town. Told many harrowing stories cutting fire lines. He said the same thing about the car tires and not chaining down. If they had to throw the Cat on a trailer, they were usually in a hurry to get out or get some place else. Never had one come off a trailer he could recall. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Yessir. An old cat skinner for the forest service out west retired to our little town. Told many harrowing stories cutting fire lines. He said the same thing about the car tires and not chaining down. If they had to throw the Cat on a trailer, they were usually in a hurry to get out or get some place else. Never had one come off a trailer he could recall. 

Had a guy with a JD 350 here years ago who never chained down, until it ended up upside down in Baker Brook....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Had a guy with a JD 350 here years ago who never chained down, until it ended up upside down in Baker Brook....

never say never

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Long story short we got everything right side up and I was even able to get some of my plowing done today. The only thing that was lost was the three to four hours it took me to fix my mistake. The whole thing could have been a lot worse, I definitely had someone watching over me this morning.

Yes.  The time lost is insignificant. 

Experience and presence of mind to grab the side rails surely made a difference.  Banging around the cage could have produced a far worse outcome.

It is good to read you worked the remainder of the day.

+1 for piling snow to restore order.

• Like 1

Do you need new underwear?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

Do you need new underwear?

No, they where fine also. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

No, they where fine also. 

Ok so it’s not a JD-Bseries, if the poo dint get you, the battery aid would have.

• Like 1

You guys are talking about welding on large square tube guide rails. This is a very good idea. There is a local guy here who digs a lot of basements, and is usually only on a job a day or two so hauling out a lot. He always has the inboard rails on his trailer and I have seen him load on some pretty steep sites. I know of another guy who didn't think he needed to tie down his equipment. He managed to unload his dozer going around a corner. This was flat pavement and slow speed right in the middle of town. He got lucky, it stayed upright and he loaded it up and got out of town but you should have seen the blacktop. LOL 

• Haha 1

Our chopper is going in to get work done to it. Truck driver said he just hauled an older Claas chopper to a farm in Pen Yan . He said it had steel wheels ....... Was scared as the guy loaded it for him with snow packed on the wheels sliding on the drop deck 

Yikes 😳 

made me think of loading hay wagons . They alway told me to jump  off the high side if the load went over on the hill s  . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 560Dennis said:

Yikes 😳 

made me think of loading hay wagons . They alway told me to jump  off the high side if the load went over on the hill s  . 

Reminds me Dad always said no matter what your on if it feels light on high side or looked light be ready to jump in a second's time off the high side.