1586 Jeff

Pintle hitch for tractor

I am toying with making a pintle hitch for my 1586 so that I can drag trailers where trucks cannot go .  One thought is to make a frame that fits the quick hitch and has a gooseneck ball on top.  Another idea was to bolt a pintle hitch to the drawbar.

Does anybody have a picture of how they did this?

Are you talking about the pintle hitch that uses the tow ring, the gooseneck ball thing threw me. We would use a hammer strap on the drawbar to pull the pintle hitch trailer behind a tractor when we needed to.

• Like 1

Check with local suppliers for the 3 point attachment.  Many similar products are available but most I have seen are for Category I.  Maybe you can find a supplier who makes one for Cat.  III.   There may be no need to try to re-invent the wheel. Sorry but I cannot post a link to one of them.  Call it computer illiteracy or whatever.

13 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Are you talking about the pintle hitch that uses the tow ring, the gooseneck ball thing threw me. We would use a hammer strap on the drawbar to pull the pintle hitch trailer behind a tractor when we needed to.

A hammer strap would be too simple a solution!  But it would be simple and durable.

I am thinking about about something like this picture except scaled up to Category 3.

B00B5CF9-3BE6-43CD-9155-33BA962C3A9C.jpeg

27 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I am toying with making a pintle hitch for my 1586 so that I can drag trailers where trucks cannot go .  One thought is to make a frame that fits the quick hitch and has a gooseneck ball on top.  Another idea was to bolt a pintle hitch to the drawbar.

Does anybody have a picture of how they did this?

I think a frame on the quick hitch would be more versatile being as you could vary the height of the hitch, raise or lower it as needed, thereby making it easier to hitch and unhitch the trailers. IF you added a “ shoe” onto your trailer jack and a rope or cable to your upper jaw on pintle hitch you could hitch/ unhitch without leaving the seat.

• Like 1

That is exactly what I was trying to describe.  You are correct; the same thing only scaled up to Category III.

1 minute ago, Ihfan4life said:

I think a frame on the quick hitch would be more versatile being as you could vary the height of the hitch, raise or lower it as needed, thereby making it easier to hitch and unhitch the trailers. IF you added a “ shoe” onto your trailer jack and a rope or cable to your upper jaw on pintle hitch you could hitch/ unhitch without leaving the seat.

YOU are smelling what I am stepping in!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 1586 Jeff said:

YOU are smelling what I am stepping in!!!

This is what I would do! Make work easier, not harder! I could see it working great for moving round bales

I don't have pintle trailers but the angle bar on my big blade was a mine truck bumper in a previous life. It had a pintle hook... It's a good place to hang a chain....but would be good for moving trailers.

4 minutes ago, Cattech said:

https://www.bergmanmfg.com/

Check these out, couple videos on how they work can be found on youtube.

Those are slick, no doubt about it!!

But I am trying to be able to hitch up pintle hitch and gooseneck hitch trailers.....

I made a couple Of these two years ago. Has gooseneck, and Reese style receiver. The bale spikes are removable. 

17BADF1A-249E-42B5-9075-C66802D4C0E6.jpeg

7ABD545B-EDEF-46CC-9BFA-9ECEE60A1B45.jpeg

501BDCF3-1BF6-4522-8D9B-4CE5A6BAFFE9.jpeg

D4928677-C94E-4DCB-9219-42CDBD7B08CC.jpeg
you can buy a 2” receiver made to mount a pintle hitch on.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Those are slick, no doubt about it!!

But I am trying to be able to hitch up pintle hitch and gooseneck hitch trailers.....

Obviously not for 5th wheel/gooseneck trailers but it does hook up to a pintle, that is the adapter they put on the wagon tongue.

32 minutes ago, Cattech said:

https://www.bergmanmfg.com/

Check these out, couple videos on how they work can be found on youtube.

I borrowed my neighbor’s Bergman hitch a few times.  They are awesome once you get onto using them.  Haul bales for hours by myself with wagons and loader tractor and never get out of the cab.

On a John Deere quick hitch the hook for the top pin bolts on.  Not sure if it is this way or not.  Maybe you could take the hook off and use those four bolts.  Back when dragline first became popular a custom guy by us had his manifold and pull tube mounted to the top of the quick hitch on a 7120 magnum.  I think he had it held on with u bolts.  

Built one for my 20 ton trailer and hauled my excavator around with the 4690 for a few years. It’s somewhere around here. Doesn’t have the top ball for a gooseneck but that would be handy. We built it with the pintle permanently attached, got it from a parted out bump truck. It’s heavy, not something that could go into a receiver.  

Just remember there is no down pressure on the 3 point on a 1586.

1 hour ago, from H to 80 said:

Just remember there is no down pressure on the 3 point on a 1586.

That is correct, loading something with ramps without support will cause them to violently go up. 

1 hour ago, NY1468 said:

That is correct, loading something with ramps without support will cause them to violently go up. 

Just lift all the way to lower ramp angle....

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

Just lift all the way to lower ramp angle....

I am was thinking of running a chain to the drawbar support to keep the rockshaft from knocking a hole in the top cover......

And blocks under the tail of the trailer as needed.

17 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I made a couple Of these two years ago. Has gooseneck, and Reese style receiver. The bale spikes are removable. 

17BADF1A-249E-42B5-9075-C66802D4C0E6.jpeg

7ABD545B-EDEF-46CC-9BFA-9ECEE60A1B45.jpeg

501BDCF3-1BF6-4522-8D9B-4CE5A6BAFFE9.jpeg

D4928677-C94E-4DCB-9219-42CDBD7B08CC.jpeg
you can buy a 2” receiver made to mount a pintle hitch on.

Where did you source your spikes and sleeves from? The ones i've found lately seem on the expensive side.

52 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I am was thinking of running a chain to the drawbar support to keep the rockshaft from knocking a hole in the top cover......

And blocks under the tail of the trailer as needed.

We got a frame made up for the gooseneck that just hooks in to the 3pt arms and rests on the drawbar. It is pinned to the drawbar as well. Only downfall is we dont use the top link so no raising and lowering. Hauled alot of hay on the 30' gooseneck behind the 3788 that way. Would be very simple to put a pintle on it as well, but I just use the hammer strap on the drawbar for that

42 minutes ago, Sterling B. said:

Where did you source your spikes and sleeves from? The ones i've found lately seem on the expensive side.

The small ones I made myself from drill rod and tubing sized appropriately. The large spike was purchased at the Farm Machinery show in Louisville. I have a pic of their booth at home with contact info but I’m not at home. I will try and put it up later on. 

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

The small ones I made myself from drill rod and tubing sized appropriately. The large spike was purchased at the Farm Machinery show in Louisville. I have a pic of their booth at home with contact info but I’m not at home. I will try and put it up later on. 

I'd sure appreciate it! Thank you! I'm needing to scale one up to Cat III for my 1486 and the darn spikes are about the only thing holding me up. 😂