Sign in to follow this  
KWRB

Anyone ever use Amtrak?

I am trying to book a ticket for my daughter to come home from school on the train. Amtrak's website sucks. I have looked at timetables and the schedule works out for her to take two trains, changing in Springfield, MA, but the son-of-a-website won't let me book it.

When I lived in Germany, you could buy tickets from the conductor once already on the train. Does anyone know if you can do that on Amtrak?

18 minutes ago, KWRB said:

I am trying to book a ticket for my daughter to come home from school on the train. Amtrak's website sucks. I have looked at timetables and the schedule works out for her to take two trains, changing in Springfield, MA, but the son-of-a-website won't let me book it.

When I lived in Germany, you could buy tickets from the conductor once already on the train. Does anyone know if you can do that on Amtrak?

Where to and from? I took Amtrak a few times between mnpls and home. One thing in the winter you can get delays up here in the north land from broken rails and other train problems

3 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Where to and from? I took Amtrak a few times between mnpls and home. One thing in the winter you can get delays up here in the north land from broken rails and other train problems

Middle of Vermont, to Syracuse, NY

Just now, KWRB said:

Middle of Vermont, to Syracuse, NY

Amtrak is more efficient out on the east coast. People are used to commuting on trains out there. I was lucky we had a ticket agent in town when I travelled

What’s the nearest station? Springfield? 

Don't think you can buy tickets from conductor on Amtrack anymore. MetroNorth you can but think Amtrack must be purchased ahead

51 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

What’s the nearest station? Springfield? 

Bellows Falls is real close and has a stop on the Vermonter line. She SHOULD be able to take that to Springfield and get on the Lake Shore Limited from Springfield to Syracuse, but Amtrak's stupid website glitches when I try...

1 minute ago, KWRB said:

Bellows Falls is real close and has a stop on the Vermonter line. She SHOULD be able to take that to Springfield and get on the Lake Shore Limited from Springfield to Syracuse, but Amtrak's stupid website glitches when I try...

I would call, whenever in doubt it’s a good idea 

• Like 1

I would love to travel rails instead of driving or flying, see a lot of country without looking at clouds or having to deal with idiots, but Amtrak sucks, and the government should have never got into passenger rail, they suck at running it and have done nothing but drove it in the ground while wasting tons of taxpayer money doing it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TP from Central PA said:

I would love to travel rails instead of driving or flying, see a lot of country without looking at clouds or having to deal with idiots, but Amtrak sucks, and the government should have never got into passenger rail, they suck at running it and have done nothing but drove it in the ground while wasting tons of taxpayer money doing it.  

Everything they touch turns to crap. It's like King Midas, but crap.

We wanted to use Amtrak to go on a vacation.......until you drove to station locations, and swapped trains, then drove to where we were going and the wait times changing trains would have made the trip LONGER than driving.  

10 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I would call, whenever in doubt it’s a good idea 

Oh I tried. You should have heard the Rhodes Scholar I was talking to.

• Haha 3

Looked into tickets to ride the Amtrak Empire Builder out to Glacier NP. When I seen what it was going to cost, I didn't bother trying to book the trip.

Have you tried any of the travel sites on the web? I haven't looked, but I would think there is some site similar to all the air travel agencies. ... TripAdvisor, Travelocity, etc.

Edit: out of quriosity, just looked up "buy train tickets". Found the site wanderu, just like airline tickets, and picking a quick random trip to Glacier, was 1/3rd the price I had found on the Amtrak site when I looked. 

Edited by Cattech
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Looked into tickets to ride the Amtrak Empire Builder out to Glacier NP. When I seen what it was going to cost, I didn't bother trying to book the trip.

Have you tried any of the travel sites on the web? I haven't looked, but I would think there is some site similar to all the air travel agencies. ... TripAdvisor, Travelocity, etc.

Edit: out of quriosity, just looked up "buy train tickets". Found the site wanderu, just like airline tickets, and picking a quick random trip to Glacier, was 1/3rd the price I had found on the Amtrak site when I looked. 

I've seen this too. I always liked the romantic notion of taking a train and like I said, I took trains a lot in Germany. But the tickets are about as much as plane tickets and take so much longer to arrive. It's very hard to make a decent case for a train in the US -I've tried

maybe a bus ride? never done either but like sounds of the novelty of a train ride for a short trip 

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

Everything they touch turns to crap. It's like King Midas, but crap.

Known as "The Reverse Midas Touch"

There's a learning curve with using Amtrak. Part of the learning is learning where it works and where it doesn't. Don't try swimming  against the current. But what you're trying to do should be workable. Also look into student discounts or passes. Like everything else these days you pretty much have to do the work and then tell someone else how to do their job with out being to obvious about it. Once you have your ducks in a row it gets easier. There are rail advocates groups that also could point you in the right direction.

Wife, then girlfriend, and I went from PGH to Minot 15ish yrs ago for $500 round trip.

I loved it.

There were some rough spots along the way but thanks to JD, I survived it. 

3 hours ago, Cattech said:

When you do go through wave when you hit rugby Nd.

How are some of the other students handling the travel? Surely they come from all over, is there a bus from school that goes to a major transportation hub? Keene? Manchester NH, Albany? 

You ever get in a pinch, give me a shout

Before my kid was allowed a car at the academy he would ride Amtrack. Booked his ticket online with no problem, even got a military discount. Have your kid do it; they're way better doing things online than we are.

4 hours ago, MTO said:

Wife, then girlfriend, and I went from PGH to Minot 15ish yrs ago for $500 round trip.

I loved it.

There were some rough spots along the way but thanks to JD, I survived it. 

first your wife, then your girlfriend? Did the three of you have a good time???

• Haha 3

I used to take it from southern IL up to chicago and back for work trips instead of driving.  You can get the most expensive seat for not much more than a regular one and have a desk and charging station for working.   It was never on time,  sometimes 3 or more hours late.   At any time of the year this was.  But, I was able to work, have phone and internet, and not be in traffic so, it was a time saver still.  I never had issue with the website or bookings but, its possible its glitching at the moment as well.  Thats how it goes sometimes.

They also have an app,might be more user friendly