Sign in to follow this  
augercreek

windows

10 minutes ago, rancher_ said:

It's still free to upgrade to 10.  They want you to buy stuff through their store, you don't have to.  And you can disable most of the "spying" built into Windows.  https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/21065140/how-to-upgrade-microsoft-windows-7-10-free-os

Quoted to again say that it's still free to upgrade.

thats great to know its still free to get win10 - i hadnt been out there for a long time digging around since i had all my systems up to date, win10 comes with MSE, microsoft security essentials - I have personally not purchased any spyware/malware/virus protection outside of MSE for many years on my personal systems. It is free with the O/S or downloadable on microsofts website as needed. 

My wife uses a mac and its ok for her - i dont personally like them due to their proprietary nature and if the hardware dies, you are kind of stuck, you cant replace a hard drive or memory like in a regular pc. They are not easily upgradable either. Since June 2011 I believe was the date, all of their components are soldered to the board in the macbooks is my understanding.  

The SSD in my wife's mb air croaked and we were lucky and i found a used SSD on ebay and replaced it and reimaged her system. She lost everything due to not backing up to the cloud BUT i was able to repair it for a nominal cost vs a new mb air. 

I will say Linux/Unix based systems are much more stable and simple due to the lack of bloatware that are on windows/macs - they do require a little more of a tech saavy knowledge to find what you need and add the items they do not come with if you need to do something special. In my opinion they are more secure in general to hacking. 

Thanks for all the great info rancher

I went mac and haven’t looked back, my wife has an iPhone and an iPad for work but insisted on a PC when we replaced “our” her computer, I went out and bought my MacBook shortly thereafter, I needed one that would play nicely with my phone and had decent battery life for on the road generator service, also wanted something I was comfortable with for gun sales. I have nothing but good to say about my Mac and every single PC I have ever had to deal with has made me want to chuck it out the window. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I went mac and haven’t looked back, my wife has an iPhone and an iPad for work but insisted on a PC when we replaced “our” her computer, I went out and bought my MacBook shortly thereafter, I needed one that would play nicely with my phone and had decent battery life for on the road generator service, also wanted something I was comfortable with for gun sales. I have nothing but good to say about my Mac and every single PC I have ever had to deal with has made me want to chuck it out the window. 

Faye used a Mac for graphic design at work and liked it so much we bought her first MacBook several years ago.  Like your experience, the integration with her IPad,  IPhone, and now Apple watch has been positive for us.  I  appreciate the OS access provided by the "Terminal' app,  I have been using FreeBSD since the 1990s, and the MacOS shares many of the same system commands.

There's a bit of an Apple tax in pricing, but the hardware  and design are solid,   System updates are usually delivered gracefully, unlike  those described by users of Windows 10 Home version (an issue that might now be corrected).   Faye's current  MacBook does not have an optical drive or ethernet port.    Both design choices bug me, but do not seem to impact her.

• Like 2

I've found Windows 10 to be the most stable MS OS yet. I can't even remember what the older systems were like now only that 10 was a big improvement.

I maxed the memory on my laptop but the best improvement was a 1TB SSHD. between the OS, the memory and the SSHD it boots really fast and the machine is an older ThinkPad.

I love iPads. 50lb of aircraft documents now on two iPads (for redundancy) in each of our planes. I have all the same stuff on my personal iPad plus machine manuals. Most documents are searchable  and though I'm an old-school, flip the book to where I know the material is, I'm becoming more used to searching and finding it. Getting dragged into the present, I guess.

I'll probably stay with windows instead of a mac even though it would be more compatible with the iPads.

OK guys it's not scare or sales tactic at all. As time marches on fewer and fewer computers out there have windows whatever on them. As number dwindle it no longer becomes cost effective to support the older versions. You have to remember that it's a team of programmers who sit there writing and testing updates. Plus as programming technology advances some of the hardware and the OS can't be converted to meet the new technology. Anyway it's expensive to support older systems with just a few people still using it. My sister's husband is 66. He's mad right now because he broke his cell phone. HE doesn't want a smart phone. He want's a flip phone like he had. His carrier won't activate a used flip phone because they no longer support that old technology. Same kinda deal. Like buying a new tractor today. You can't buy a 70HP gasser or a TIER I new here in the US. And some parts for older tractor are NLA. 

Now me? Personally? I wouldn't buy a MAC with someone else's money. Too much of the stuff I do doesn't run right on a MAC and I'm not going to update all my software. So isn't even MAC comparable at all. If all you are doing is getting online? MAC is OK. But for you people with kids still at home? The standard for almost 100% of businesses and the government is a MS OS based system and your kids are going to have to be familiar with and comfortable with whatever version of Windows is out when they enter the job market. That should factor in when upgrading or thinking about a different OS.

Rick

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

I've found Windows 10 to be the most stable MS OS yet. I can't even remember what the older systems were like now only that 10 was a big improvement.

I maxed the memory on my laptop but the best improvement was a 1TB SSHD. between the OS, the memory and the SSHD it boots really fast and the machine is an older ThinkPad.

I love iPads. 50lb of aircraft documents now on two iPads (for redundancy) in each of our planes. I have all the same stuff on my personal iPad plus machine manuals. Most documents are searchable  and though I'm an old-school, flip the book to where I know the material is, I'm becoming more used to searching and finding it. Getting dragged into the present, I guess.

I'll probably stay with windows instead of a mac even though it would be more compatible with the iPads.

our corporate flight technicians use both mac and windows, I found the easiest way for them to run their quick checks for plane viability ( gulf stream G550 ) was with an Ipad interface to the console. It took some adapting but I was able to get it to work with the gulf stream technicians help.

The overall plane maintenance and full testing/updating software runs standalone on a Windows Laptop that NEVER touches the internet. All files are downloaded to an encrypted system and then loaded to an encrypted USB stick then installed on that windows laptop that comes with the gulf stream at purchase.

For new users unfamiliar with ANY OS or limited a Mac is usually easier to get them going. All Apple products seem to be very similar in UI and function so as a technician I can get them off the ground easier. I liken windows to android, its more complex, not as easy to wrap your head around quickly, not as user friendly but more adaptable and less restrictive. There is a price for that in ease of use and more likely to be hacked. 

i think of it this way............if i was a hacker would i rather impact 75% windows users of the world or 15 % mac ( rounded numbers ) and why even mess with linux or hybrids 

android crushes all OS platforms 

49 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

OK guys it's not scare or sales tactic at all. As time marches on fewer and fewer computers out there have windows whatever on them. As number dwindle it no longer becomes cost effective to support the older versions. You have to remember that it's a team of programmers who sit there writing and testing updates. Plus as programming technology advances some of the hardware and the OS can't be converted to meet the new technology. Anyway it's expensive to support older systems with just a few people still using it. My sister's husband is 66. He's mad right now because he broke his cell phone. HE doesn't want a smart phone. He want's a flip phone like he had. His carrier won't activate a used flip phone because they no longer support that old technology. Same kinda deal. Like buying a new tractor today. You can't buy a 70HP gasser or a TIER I new here in the US. And some parts for older tractor are NLA. 

Now me? Personally? I wouldn't buy a MAC with someone else's money. Too much of the stuff I do doesn't run right on a MAC and I'm not going to update all my software. So isn't even MAC comparable at all. If all you are doing is getting online? MAC is OK. But for you people with kids still at home? The standard for almost 100% of businesses and the government is a MS OS based system and your kids are going to have to be familiar with and comfortable with whatever version of Windows is out when they enter the job market. That should factor in when upgrading or thinking about a different OS.

Rick

That’s funny,  my wife just went back to UNL a couple years ago and got her masters .  I spent countless hours at places where she was doing research and studies , libraries, book stores, various places on campus where other students were working , coffee shops, parks and dozens of other places where students are hanging out with their books. 

I purposly paid attention to what they were using .  

90% or probably even higher  They were using a  MAC of some sort  

i phones, I pads , Mac books lap tops ect ...  

MAC  MAC MAC   was nearly all I was seeing. 

Sister in law  has two kids , all they asked for at Christmas was Either an I Phone or an I Pad 

My niece has two daughters , all they wanted for Christmas was an I Phone or an I Pad . 

Now that I think about it , no one in my entire family or circle of friends has  windows . 

9 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

That’s funny,  my wife just went back to UNL a couple years ago and got her masters .  I spent countless hours at places where she was doing research and studies , libraries, book stores, various places on campus where other students were working , coffee shops, parks and dozens of other places where students are hanging out with their books. 

I purposly paid attention to what they were using .  

90% or probably even higher  They were using a  MAC of some sort  

i phones, I pads , Mac books lap tops ect ...  

MAC  MAC MAC   was nearly all I was seeing. 

Sister in law  has two kids , all they asked for at Christmas was Either an I Phone or an I Pad 

My niece has two daughters , all they wanted for Christmas was an I Phone or an I Pad . 

Now that I think about it , no one in my entire family or circle of friends has  windows . 

You said the magic word.....on a college campus.

Rick

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtanker said:

You said the magic word.....on a college campus.

Rick

The point is  that the younger generation wants Mac . 

1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

because they want things done easily and not have to think and figure things out - oh yes there are the exceptions but their laziness and lack of ability to handle conflict/struggles runs deep - a friend/neighbor of mine runs multiple businesses, he went to a conference about a year ago on hiring employees from the current generation, its not about pay as much anymore its about their experience.

The new employee model that is working best for companies is to allow their employees access to their smart devices at specific times, put in robust internet with gaming systems in the break rooms, run competitions for those systems for perks/bennies, give bonuses for showing up on time, ( not i am not kidding ) provide systems ( tablets/ipads )  for them to use to watch movies on for their breaks etc.....

this generation grew up staring at screens and tapping on them from the time they were old enough to watch bubble guppies - they dont care so much about the pay they just want easy and to be able to entertain themselves and report it all on snapchat, instagram, twitter etc......- they have the best job in the world and they get to play and watch movies AT WORK

he is 60 and it is hard for him to wrap his head around it and its frustrating to be paying people to do this but his employees are staying longer with less turnover so far and with no pay increase 

1 minute ago, searcyfarms said:

because they want things done easily and not have to think and figure things out - oh yes there are the exceptions but their laziness and lack of ability to handle conflict/struggles runs deep - a friend/neighbor of mine runs multiple businesses, he went to a conference about a year ago on hiring employees from the current generation, its not about pay as much anymore its about their experience.

The new employee model that is working best for companies is to allow their employees access to their smart devices at specific times, put in robust internet with gaming systems in the break rooms, run competitions for those systems for perks/bennies, give bonuses for showing up on time, ( not i am not kidding ) provide systems ( tablets/ipads )  for them to use to watch movies on for their breaks etc.....

this generation grew up staring at screens and tapping on them from the time they were old enough to watch bubble guppies - they dont care so much about the pay they just want easy and to be able to entertain themselves and report it all on snapchat, instagram, twitter etc......- they have the best job in the world and they get to play and watch movies AT WORK

he is 60 and it is hard for him to wrap his head around it and its frustrating to be paying people to do this but his employees are staying longer with less turnover so far and with no pay increase 

Lol  yup,  I’m sure of it . 

If you can come up a way to change what’s going on in this country  you will be the richest man in the world . 

On 1/16/2020 at 8:09 AM, bob_carr said:

Or download and install a Linux distribution on the windows box. 

I have used Linux tools of Open Office,  Mozilla and Thunderbird for years.

That gives me the same as Microsoft Office, Internet and Email.

It works great.

I loaded Linux operating system a number of years ago.

I found there were some programs that would not run on it.

I ended up going back to Windows.

Has this been fixed or was I missing something about Linux?

I would love to run it and give the single finger salute to Windows but it has to fill my needs.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 8:09 AM, bob_carr said:

Or download and install a Linux distribution on the windows box. 

Oooooooooooooooooooops.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

Doesn't matter what they want. What matters is what they have to operate in the workplace. A large company isn't going to replace an entire system cause a few millennials. Heck 15 years ago most music stuff was done on MAC. Now most is done on MS OS systems. Same with graphics. Things have changed. Colleges are still trying to push MAC because when the professors graduated that's what you had if you were a hard core rebel. MAC from the small company instead of supporting MS. They now are trying hard to convince students that MAC is the way to go. On the other hand the Government, when Clinton was in office, told all colleges nation wide that federal funds from student grants, loans, CEP and the GI Bill cannot be used for any computer course that is MAC only. 

When was the last time you saw a bank, the feed store/COOP or any other major business that wasn't running a MS OS system? Like I said they ain't going to spend thousands to millions of dollars replacing systems. MAC currently has a whopping 13% of the computer market share world wide and almost 100% is private users. Not going to be mainstream anytime soon. Kids need to learn the MS system right now for their future. MAC over the last 20-25 years have fluctuated between about 14% to as low as 7% of the market.

Look, I'm not knocking MAC. I just stating the fact that kids, for their future right now need to know and be comfortable with an MS OS if they wish to be competitive in the workplace for the foreseeable future.

Rick

• Like 1

I am confused. I need new windows too but 10 wont be enough and putting apples in the openings wont block the wind either....what to do...what to do...

This is the new oil thread?? Kinda like politics and religion....you probably aint gonna change someones opinion by typing more words than they do...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, new guy said:

I am confused. I need new windows too but 10 wont be enough and putting apples in the openings wont block the wind either....what to do...what to do...

This is the new oil thread?? Kinda like politics and religion....you probably aint gonna change someones opinion by typing more words than they do...

Round here I like cascade windows for a mid range window, if money is no object Marvin windows.

I used a computer in years it's all done on phone and tablet...

• Like 2

I hear all these people talk up their I-phones & I-pads and have to wonder if something is wrong with me, I can't stand using them. I find my Samsungs far easier to use and navigate. 

On the college campuses, I wonder how many of the students would swear off using Apple if they knew Rush Limbaugh is constantly talking them up.... unclean, unclean! Open up the safe spaces and call the grief counselors.... sorry, can't help myself sometimes. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

The overall plane maintenance and full testing/updating software runs standalone on a Windows Laptop that NEVER touches the internet.

Same here. Laptop came with planes and are  never is to go online. Updating the databases is also through the same laptop but the data gets downloaded straight from Honeywell's site on either a pilot or mechanic's laptop. For some reason some gets loaded directly into the DMU while others must go through the CMC on the laptop. I figured by now it should be a USB stick but the DMU has two PCMCIA cards, I guess it was the best at certification time. I've heard latest uses USB and for a couple hundred thousand we can convert 😁The six fly by wire computers are all made by different companies with Dassault software, nothing off the shelf,  but the central maintenance computer is Windows based.

The Garmin nav and terrain DBs in my 182 are proprietary cards that look like short PCMCIA cards. I just updated the G5s to show TAS, density altitude, and wind with a micro SD card.  So many formats!

20 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

thats great to know its still free to get win10 - i hadnt been out there for a long time digging around since i had all my systems up to date, win10 comes with MSE, microsoft security essentials - I have personally not purchased any spyware/malware/virus protection outside of MSE for many years on my personal systems. It is free with the O/S or downloadable on microsofts website as needed. 

My wife uses a mac and its ok for her - i dont personally like them due to their proprietary nature and if the hardware dies, you are kind of stuck, you cant replace a hard drive or memory like in a regular pc. They are not easily upgradable either. Since June 2011 I believe was the date, all of their components are soldered to the board in the macbooks is my understanding.  

The SSD in my wife's mb air croaked and we were lucky and i found a used SSD on ebay and replaced it and reimaged her system. She lost everything due to not backing up to the cloud BUT i was able to repair it for a nominal cost vs a new mb air. 

I will say Linux/Unix based systems are much more stable and simple due to the lack of bloatware that are on windows/macs - they do require a little more of a tech saavy knowledge to find what you need and add the items they do not come with if you need to do something special. In my opinion they are more secure in general to hacking. 

Thanks for all the great info rancher

Thanks.  I'm not that fond of Apple as a company, and many of the choices they make, as you say, are part of it.  I've been dealing with them since the Apple IIe .  I've set up a number of them, laptops, desktops, ipads/phones.  Cheapest desktop they have is a Mac mini.  $729 on Amazon I think.  As with their other products, the ssd/hard drive is soldered.  If it fails, out of warranty, open your wallet.  It wouldn't have to be that way for a component that can and will fail at some point (at least eventually), a desktop no less.  Want a bigger and better main drive?  Pay Apple's prices instead of getting a much cheaper aftermarket (that is possibly from the same manufacturer).  Now, someone wants to buy one, fine, take your chances.  But, if I was bent on getting a very compact system, I'd get an Intel NUC, and Hackintosh it, that would be smaller anyway.  Might be against Apples tos, but not illegal.  If I didn't care about size, my current desktop is Hackintosh compatible, so is a laptop I have (decent 17" with an i5).  Just my personal opinion what I'd do, not stating others should.

4 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Depends on your situation.  I don't know anyone that doesn't have a Windows machine of some sort.  Now, some have ipads/iphones, some have Android.  Last laptop I got setup for a cousin's kid said no way he was spending over $1000 on a laptop to carry around, when a $300 one works fine for his use.  Windows laptops/desktops are still about 80% of the market if I recall correctly, as of recently.  Not that any of that matters, use what you want.

3 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

It works great.

I would love to run it and give the single finger salute to Windows but it has to fill my needs.

Yep, you have to use what works.  Not everything will work, alternatives for most things are there, but of course, not everything.  Not knowing what you need, can't say.

7 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

It works great.

There are still programs which do not run on Linux.  That said, however, most of the common office productivity tools (word processing, spreadsheets, web browser, and image editing) have Linux versions in active development.  The old OpenOffice is now part of the Apache project, and for the most part has been replaced by the LibreOffice suite.  Firefox and Chrome are both actively developed for Linux.

Though I use it infrequently, I still need to keep a current version of Windows available to support some IP security cameras which have firmware using Microsoft ActiveX software.  It's less expensive to purchase the software than upgrade the cameras.  As well, I like enjoy staying current with PC technology and Microsoft is still a big part of that.

An earlier post has a link to the Linux mint distribution.  You could run that off a USB stick to test and see if it meets your needs,   If Office, Internet, and Email are your only needs,  it will probably fill them.  

5 hours ago, New Englander said:

Same here. Laptop came with planes and are  never is to go online. Updating the databases is also through the same laptop but the data gets downloaded straight from Honeywell's site on either a pilot or mechanic's laptop. For some reason some gets loaded directly into the DMU while others must go through the CMC on the laptop. I figured by now it should be a USB stick but the DMU has two PCMCIA cards, I guess it was the best at certification time. I've heard latest uses USB and for a couple hundred thousand we can convert 😁The six fly by wire computers are all made by different companies with Dassault software, nothing off the shelf,  but the central maintenance computer is Windows based.

The Garmin nav and terrain DBs in my 182 are proprietary cards that look like short PCMCIA cards. I just updated the G5s to show TAS, density altitude, and wind with a micro SD card.  So many formats!

no doubt, we just got rid of two falcons and a hawker and got the G550 about a year ago, they were all different interfaces, some of our updates are via Ipad, some via usb stick, some via laptop that got its update from a usb stick from another system so go figure - my former BIL was in a flight club and they had a nice 182 that had a really good updated electronics in it, i dont remember what they were, it was a nice lil runner easy to fly even for a green horn like me - i flew it around for about 20 mins one day and then he let me taxi it on the runway, kinda wierd driving with your feet ha!!

My old Win7 was beyond doing it's job well so I saved the data on an external drive and scrapped it about 3 weeks ago. I have been fighting my 7 year old Win8.1,turns out the hard drive has some issue that won't allow the printer driver to function any more so as of 2 days ago the Win10 avoidance came to an end .Now I have to learn to live in that world. At a glance it may not be horrible. 

Searcy, thank you for the earlier post regarding the MSE, I had no idea it existed. That alone is enough reason to keep updates current. I am so sick of antivirus companies continually nagging and never sure what to buy or need. 

4 hours ago, IKS said:

My old Win7 was beyond doing it's job well so I saved the data on an external drive and scrapped it about 3 weeks ago. I have been fighting my 7 year old Win8.1,turns out the hard drive has some issue that won't allow the printer driver to function any more so as of 2 days ago the Win10 avoidance came to an end .Now I have to learn to live in that world. At a glance it may not be horrible. 

Searcy, thank you for the earlier post regarding the MSE, I had no idea it existed. That alone is enough reason to keep updates current. I am so sick of antivirus companies continually nagging and never sure what to buy or need. 

glad its helpful, I have no complaints with MSE at all. We use symantec at work on 50K plus systems and guess what we use if something slips thru to scan an infected system - yup u guessed it, MSE and malwarebytes.org they are BOTH FREE