Sign in to follow this  
augercreek

windows

Since Windows 7 and below are not being supported any longer what are you all going to do? I know some have gone to Windows 10 but I hear nothing good about it. Being old and set in my ways I'm not to happy about having to change! So what to do?

Your going to have to update to windows 10 eventually. Might as well do it now. 
resistance is futile. 

I'm going to operate mine as long as it will still work. It's served me well for ten years, why change now?

• Like 1

I have windows 10 and have no problems with it. Just a learning curve for some. Go for it.

Windows 10 uses those panes which are a pain.

There is a little program that removes the panes and puts windows 10 back to look like windows 7.

That may ease the transition.

I'm still on 7 but got the warning yesterday that support is over.

It is best to go with a new(er) windows 10 machine.

I put 10 on my laptop and it balked as was missing a bunch of stuff so I quick moved back to 7.  

Microsoft is knowing how to play the game and sell new versions of 10.

• Like 2

Good time to buy a Mac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Good time to buy a Mac

Or download and install a Linux distribution on the windows box. 

• Like 1

l went from Win7 to Windows 8.1 about 5 years ago. Haven't had any problems at all. Matter of fact l think it's better than Win7 ever was. No freeze ups or those kind of problems. And just as easy to navigate.

Still have 7 on my personal aka shop computer.......going to run it until it doesn't work.  When it doesn't work going to plop down a Mac.  

• Like 1

I went with the automatic update to windows ten when they came out.  Sure it is different but now I don't even remember seven and I'm a late comer to computers, in my 80's.   Works for me.  

switched to an I Mac three years ago and haven't had one single issue ever.

I wouldn't go back to windows if it was free.

• Like 1

Still have Windows Vista at home. Works fine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Still have Windows Vista at home. Works fine. 

l still got the first computer l ever had, from 1990something. lt still works, has Windows 3.1 on it....lol 

• Like 1

Well is it all just a scare tactic to buy or what kind of trouble can I get into by not updating?

I thought XP worked good........my wife who knows computers, coding, and all that crap thinks the same, although she is an apple girl.  

I do everything on my phone. Have not used my laptop in over a year. Dont even know what system is on it.

Stil using windows vista also. Warning pops up every time. X it out and start surfing....

Just means MS isn't going to be sending out regular updates anymore. It will continue to work just fine but eventually some new programs may have trouble with it. And it will become more susceptible to hacking and viruses. 

In tractor terms, it's comparable to when CIH dropped the boxcar Magnum for the MXs. You don't have to buy a new tractor, the old one works just fine, but the electronics in that new planter aren't going to plug into that old tractor. Only difference is that CIH would no longer be selling new parts to repair it.

I bought a desktop computer that has W 10 on it right when W 10 came out. I still am not crazy about the layout and how a few things work. That's probably because my work computer still is using W XP Pro. That said, I haven't had any real problems with the W 10, just wish I would've bought a little higher quality computer. Advice, don't purchase the absolute cheapest Black Friday computer.

• Like 2

Been using smoke signals for many years and haven't had any problems. But, just the other day, I turned around at my desk and noticed some strange people sitting around with their legs folded, passing around what looked like a big pipe with a feather attached to it. I just wish they would go get some cloths on, around me. 

• Haha 2

I had to get a new CPU two years ago and went from XP to 10, price wasn't too bad, got room for more capacity if I need it, Microsoft has its own free antivirus, only had to get it fixed once, good local servicing and constructing dealer, spend the money for a new one and keep up with the times and don't look back.

Keep up with the times.......BS........I would take Windows 95 and SimFarm any day over this new crap!  LOL

• Like 2

if you would have been paying attention during the win8 debacle they offered it and win10 free online - you could go from win7 to win8 and then win10 at ZERO dollars - YES FREE - no i am not kidding, i did it personally on multiple machines. The biggest tip i can offer for W10 is if you dont see a menu item you are used to seeing, right click on the start button its probably there 😉 instead of a normal click. 

We have migrated all of our thousands of systems at our office to Win10 and to be honest, our systems run better on W10 than W7 due to the memory mgmt that are built into W10. W10 will also boot faster. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rrr4quality said:

Feels like more of a sales tactic! 

It's still free to upgrade to 10.  They want you to buy stuff through their store, you don't have to.  And you can disable most of the "spying" built into Windows.  https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/21065140/how-to-upgrade-microsoft-windows-7-10-free-os

8 hours ago, ihfarmer1586 said:

I'm going to operate mine as long as it will still work. It's served me well for ten years, why change now?

Because, when you run a system that isn't patched with security updates, you risk it being compromised.  Things can get around antivirus and whatever else you have, and you might not even know it.  Your system could get infected with malware, or, you could become part of a botnet (without knowing it), and be responsible for helping to spread malware and spam through your machine.  A simple security update can save people from having lots of issues.  It's not just your system, your compromised system can harm others.  https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/12/wannacry-two-years-on/

7 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Windows 10 uses those panes which are a pain.

There is a little program that removes the panes and puts windows 10 back to look like windows 7.

That may ease the transition.

I'm still on 7 but got the warning yesterday that support is over.

It is best to go with a new(er) windows 10 machine.

I put 10 on my laptop and it balked as was missing a bunch of stuff so I quick moved back to 7.  

Microsoft is knowing how to play the game and sell new versions of 10.

http://www.classicshell.net/

7 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Good time to buy a Mac

Although Macs are fine, and people can pay for whatever they want, their internal hardware is identical to normal (in some cases higher end) pc hardware.  You pay a fair bit for the Apple name, and a bit for a little better support.  For simple basic tasks like browsing, emailing, light work, Chromebooks or Chromeboxes offer many of the same benefits for much less (like better malware protection, longer battery life than Windows laptops for the price, etc.).  But, a person needs to understand their limitations.  Also, installing a Linux distribution, for free, offers a bit better malware resistance.

7 hours ago, bob_carr said:

Or download and install a Linux distribution on the windows box. 

Yes, for free, and you can try it out without even installing it.

Examples.  https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3832

or https://zorinos.com/

6 hours ago, lorenzo said:

switched to an I Mac three years ago and haven't had one single issue ever.

I wouldn't go back to windows if it was free.

And I've been using a combination of Windows and Linux for over 25 years, haven't had a single crash or freeze or any kind of major issue in over 10 years.  I run a laptop and I assemble my own desktop every 7 or so years (all my old ones still work fine).

27 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

if you would have been paying attention during the win8 debacle they offered it and win10 free online - you could go from win7 to win8 and then win10 at ZERO dollars - YES FREE - no i am not kidding, i did it personally on multiple machines. The biggest tip i can offer for W10 is if you dont see a menu item you are used to seeing, right click on the start button its probably there 😉 instead of a normal click. 

We have migrated all of our thousands of systems at our office to Win10 and to be honest, our systems run better on W10 than W7 due to the memory mgmt that are built into W10. W10 will also boot faster. 

Quoted to again say that it's still free to upgrade.

• Like 3

While Windows 10 can run on the same hardware that ran Windows 7, low end hardware would be better off upgrading the hardware and software. For example I've got a couple of ten year old laptops that were able to be upgraded to Windows 10. With 10 the hardware is really showing its age and leads to frustration by the those who have to use those machines.