782 engine

29 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

I run a GT 54 deck on my 782.......its a s..q..u..e..e..z..e...... to get it under there though. 

Mows great!

That's my plan. They say the Super steer makes it easier. Gotta find a deck.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Super steer and 26" rear rubber...

Why?  Because it looks cool? 

On a non SGT it lowers the gear ratio.  Not helpful at all really. 

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

It would be interesting to learn how to do the deck conversion.

You just need a subrame a deck, and a 6" PTO.  The cyclops frame was the same as the 82 series.  The "super steer" axle was really just a swept forward axle that allowed more room to get the GT deck under the tractor.  Not really a "conversion" at all. 

11 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Why?  Because it looks cool? 

On a non SGT it lowers the gear ratio.  Not helpful at all really. 

1) super steer axle with long spindles gives tractor rear rake. 26" fixes

2) 26" rubber gives considerably more clearance for plowing..... and for GT 54 lift height....(under edit)

3) aware of change in gear ratio, but on a hydro at plowing/mowing speeds, not an issue 

4) traction, more rubber on the ground while plowing 

6 hours ago, J-Mech said:

You just need a subrame a deck, and a 6" PTO.  The cyclops frame was the same as the 82 series.  The "super steer" axle was really just a swept forward axle that allowed more room to get the GT deck under the tractor.  Not really a "conversion" at all. 

6" PTO not required.  Swap 54" double pulley on deck for one off of a 44c/50c deck (same spindles) and all is well.  Will also need 44c/50c lift links, as GT54 links are too long (made for taller Cyclops tractors)

Do the Command swap, find a decent M18 or M20 (not bad motors if taken care of), or put a Honda/ Briggs kit in it.

KT17 is scrap iron due to oiling issues 

And.....super steer and 26" are not required for GT54 upgrade, but very helpful if you want some deck lift height.

In either case, you may have to "massage" the front deck lip behind front wheels for clearance.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

6" PTO not required.  Swap 54" double pulley on deck for one off of a 44c/50c deck (same spindles) and all is well.  Will also need 44c/50c lift links, as GT54 links are too long (made for taller Cyclops tractors)

Thank you.

1 hour ago, 401 N Michigan said:

Midwest cub offered to rebuild my 16 single cyl. In the winter of 2020....I don’t know but I bet somehow could make a twin rebuild work somehow....

I'm sure they could, for a fee.  MWSC specializes in the K series and now getting hot in the CH engines.  The KT's are junk.  I don't know if they would even touch it.  Too much liability. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Plow said:

1) super steer axle with long spindles gives tractor rear rake. 26" fixes

2) 26" rubber gives considerably more clearance for plowing..... and for GT 54 lift height....(under edit)

3) aware of change in gear ratio, but on a hydro at plowing/mowing speeds, not an issue 

4) traction, more rubber on the ground while plowing 

Fair enough

But, if you aren't running a super steer, then it rakes to the front. 

I can plow just fine with 10.50's, but far prefer 8.50's for plowing.  The whole tire in contact with the ground gets better traction than a tire that is riding on plowed dirt because it is too wide for the dead furrow.  That is more of a pain IMO.  That's why I went to narrow front tires and 8.50's for the plow tractor.  If I ever build up the 982 I have waiting, it is getting 7-14's on it.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Plow said:

6" PTO not required.  Swap 54" double pulley on deck for one off of a 44c/50c deck (same spindles) and all is well.

True.  You can do it that was as well. 

48 minutes ago, exSW said:

Will also need 44c/50c lift links, as GT54 links are too long (made for taller Cyclops tractors)

That would depend on what axle you are using on the front.  Cyclops uses the same frame, same rear end but a different front spindle/axle set up.  

7 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Fair enough

But, if you aren't running a super steer, then it rakes to the front. 

I can plow just fine with 10.50's, but far prefer 8.50's for plowing.  The whole tire in contact with the ground gets better traction than a tire that is riding on plowed dirt because it is too wide for the dead furrow.  That is more of a pain IMO.  That's why I went to narrow front tires and 8.50's for the plow tractor.  If I ever build up the 982 I have waiting, it is getting 7-14's on it.  

I've plowed with them all....8.50, 10.50, 26x12.......they all ride in the furrow just fine.  I'll take the ground clearance and bigger patch on the ground on the landside every day.  Not really any different than 18.4x38 or 20.8x 38 with a 16" plow.

8 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

True.  You can do it that was as well. 

That would depend on what axle you are using on the front.  Cyclops uses the same frame, same rear end but a different front spindle/axle set up.  

30mm axle rear ends stood the rear end up about the same as the long spindle SS front axle IIRC.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

I've plowed with them all....8.50, 10.50, 26x12.......they all ride in the furrow just fine.  I'll take the ground clearance and bigger patch on the ground on the landside every day.  Not really any different than 18.4x38 or 20.8x 38 with a 16" plow.

I don't think they do, but I guess that's ok.  I would take some more ground clearance, but it's not that big a deal.  I don't need to plow that deep with a GT.  If I want to go that deep, I'll get a big tractor and plow lol. 

True, but nothing worse than high centering on trash from the crappy no coulter plow in front of you!!!

4 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

30mm axle rear ends stood the rear end up about the same as the long spindle SS front axle IIRC.

Maybe, but I do not think they did.  I'll measure some time if I think about it. Right now all the tractors are still parked for the winter.  

1 minute ago, Mr. Plow said:

True, but nothing worse than high centering on trash from the crappy no coulter plow in front of you!!!

Isn't it annoying when guys don't run a coulter. ?

• 5 weeks later...

Archived