782 engine

My 782 has started to lose power, the last 2 yrs it’s gotten a ton of blow by and excessive oil usage. It still runs fairly decent until it gets hot and it gets hard to start back. So last winter I decided I was going to rebuild the engine or swap it but I didn’t want to spend the money on and engine for it and it kept getting put off and put off until it was time to mow again and I used it all summer like that , but I really doubt it will make it another summer and my yard has to be mowed twice a week usually for a couple months during the summer so I don’t cut it no slack haha. So my question is, do I rebuild the kt17, series 1 . Or I have a extra ch23 that I can stick in it. What’s everyone’s opinion on the ch23? I have a complete engine with a clutch and muffler that I can make work. What all has to be changed on the wiring for it to charge? Or am I better off just rebuilding the kt? 

You can't rebuilt a KT.  There isn't anything to rebuild.  They were a throw away engine from new.  Very few parts available now.  

Several things to switch to go to a CH.  Wiring, driveshaft, engine plate has to be drilled, air cleaner modified... but it's been done several hundred times.  You don't have to invent the wheel to make it happen. 

Yes I agree with that.. haha. I’ve seen the flywheel adapter for the Honda and Briggs, does anyone actually “make” and adapter or is it something that has to be made by hand? 

Maybe could rebuild a KT-17. KT-17 is the small block Chevy of garden tractor pulling and Cub Cadet is the '32 Ford.

I’ve never heard anything good about the kt-17 is why I ask. I’ve had it two yrs , haven’t done anything to it but put oil and gas in it, I think I’ve put more oil in it than gas. The tractor itself is in exceptionally good shape , original paint that shines up. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t bother fixing it . Yea I should upgrade but, it’s paid for. And I work at a Deere dealer, the new stuff is junk in 4-5 yrs. 

3 hours ago, 64806 said:

I’ve never heard anything good about the kt-17 is why I ask. I’ve had it two yrs , haven’t done anything to it but put oil and gas in it, I think I’ve put more oil in it than gas. The tractor itself is in exceptionally good shape , original paint that shines up. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t bother fixing it . Yea I should upgrade but, it’s paid for. And I work at a Deere dealer, the new stuff is junk in 4-5 yrs. 

The newer stuff is junk. But some of them had Magnum 18's. That's what I'd keep an eye out for.

On 1/15/2020 at 11:10 PM, 64806 said:

Yes I agree with that.. haha. I’ve seen the flywheel adapter for the Honda and Briggs, does anyone actually “make” and adapter or is it something that has to be made by hand? 

There is a guy in Pennsylvania that makes them, and driveshaft's and a lot of other parts.  You can find him on my Cub Cadet forum.  Link is on my profile. 

22 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Maybe could rebuild a KT-17. KT-17 is the small block Chevy of garden tractor pulling and Cub Cadet is the '32 Ford.

You are incorrect.  The K series is the "small block" of GT pulling.  The KT's are junk. 

15 hours ago, exSW said:

The newer stuff is junk. But some of them had Magnum 18's. That's what I'd keep an eye out for.

The Mag 18 is a KT17 Series II with a magneto ignition.  They also were a throw away.  The Mag 18 wasn't any better than a KTII, and they weren't much better than a KT.  Lasted just s bit longer is all.  

The CH motors have proven to be good engines.  More head and head gasket problems than anything. 

Rebuilding a KT-17 is impossible? Nobody has ever done it?

If I was going garden tractor pulling with a 782 I would be better off with a one-cylinder K Kohler than a two-cylinder KT Kohler?

36 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Rebuilding a KT-17 is impossible? Nobody has ever done it?

If I was going garden tractor pulling with a 782 I would be better off with a one-cylinder K Kohler than a two-cylinder KT Kohler?

Sure people have rebuilt them.... back when parts were still available.  Kohler has discontinued almost all parts, and other than STD parts almost no parts exist.  If you can find any NOS, you pay through the nose.

If you are garden tractor pulling with a 782 hydro you aren't really GT pulling, you are just playing.  But yes, you can pull more hp from a 16hp K than a 17hp KT.  But if you aren't using a gear drive trans, it's irrelevant anyway.  The K series still holds high rank in GT pulling, but MWSC is doing some cool things with the CH Kohler. 

Well it looks like my best bet is just to make the ch work and throw the kt away. 

3 hours ago, 64806 said:

Well it looks like my best bet is just to make the ch work and throw the kt away. 

It's worth the effort to go to the Command

I’ve never checked the rpms it always sounded like the commands run more rpms than the kt. Hopefully cause the deck turns so slow even the old triangle decks turn faster. 

All Kohlers are rated at 3600 RPM in Cub Cadets. 

The deck on a 782 should turn quite a bit faster than a triangle deck.  Much smaller driven pulley. 

• Like 1

The 44 and 50 also had much shorter blades than the large center blade of a 42" deck.......in all likelihood the blade tip speed was very similar between the two. 

On a 42 the large center pulley drove the tiny side pulleys, effectively increasing blade speed for those short little blades.  Was a 44 a better deck than a 42...heck yes, but mainly because it moved grass away more efficiently.   An early cast iron  42, set up right, is still a very good mower, mainly because its front sides were so short that it ejected grass all along the front deck face!

If you want a 44/50 to really spin, install the small dual deck pulley (4.5" IIRC) and use a 6" clutch on the new Command.  It will effectively overdrive the deck and really make it cut!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

If you want a 44/50 to really spin, install the small dual deck pulley (4.5" IIRC) and use a 6" clutch on the new Command.  It will effectively overdrive the deck and really make it cut!

I never thought the tip speed was high enough on the A and C decks.  I had considered going to a 6" PTO, but I like the fact I can interchange attachments between all of my tractors.  Too many PTO driven attachments to make the swap.  If you only have one tractor and one attachment then this is the best solution. 

I still like the old triangle decks.  They just cut so nice! 

Even just swapping the deck pulley helps a lot. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Even just swapping the deck pulley helps a lot. 

Yes, but only if you are working on an A deck.  The later C decks had the smallest pulley available on them from the factory.  There are only two pulleys available.  If the deck came out on an 82 series, it will already have the smaller one on it. 

I’ll have to measure the pulley on the deck on the 82, it for sure runs slower than the triangle deck but it may just be cause the kt isn’t running enough rpms. I’ve got a 124 with a fresh 12 and 42” deck and it will run circles around the 82 in taller grass. And yea I agree the triangle decks cut great , especially to be 50+ yrs old. 

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

Yes, but only if you are working on an A deck.  The later C decks had the smallest pulley available on them from the factory.  There are only two pulleys available.  If the deck came out on an 82 series, it will already have the smaller one on it. 

True.

This one has the 4 3/4 pulley on the deck. Both Kohler motors has 6 inch clutch’s on them. Sounds like that will be my best bet. My luck if I go to the trouble to switch the motor then something will happen to the hydro haha. 

The hydros rarely give trouble.  Typically loose/worn linkages and sometimes small leaks.

Yea I know I don’t think I’ve ever hardly heard of a hydro failure on these. There’s a place I found on Facebook that specialize in the hydro’s on IH tractors. I’m sure they could fix it up or send me parts. 

Has anyone on here put a newer deck on these? I’ve seen it before somewhere but can’t remember where , it’s been a long day . The newer decks just cut a lot better.

I run a GT 54 deck on my 782.......its a s..q..u..e..e..z..e...... to get it under there though. 

Mows great!

• Like 1