patricksjohndeeres

How many 1468 with V8 s were made ?

2 minutes ago, patricksjohndeeres said:

How many of these IHC 1468s with a V8 were made ? 

IMG_4974.jpeg

The correct answer to your question is ALL of the 1468s had V8s.

if you want to know how many 1468s were made that’s a different question.  Tractor data says around 2900.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

too many was what my FIL that owned one said LOL he was not fond of his 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, patricksjohndeeres said:

How many of these IHC 1468s with a V8 were made ? 

IMG_4974.jpeg

All of them, all 1468 had 550 V8s in them ( though a few have been converted to 436 or 466 by now after the V8 sent a rod through the side of the block. 

If it had a DT 436 from the factory in it, it was a 1466.

Last digit on the number denotes how many cylinders the engine has. 1468, 8 equals 8 cylinder. 1466, 6 equals 6 cylinder.

And of course there was the 1568, same song, different verse, sung in a slightly higher key. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

too many was what my FIL that owned one said LOL he was not fond of his 

He had that right. 

I do know a bunch of them got parted out in Gregory SD 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Killer Red Mater said:

I know of a number of 1468s & 1568s that were taken in on trade for very little with blown engines and repowered with 466s out of school buses that the bodies had rotted off of due to road salt.

It kept mechanics busy during slow periods and helped to make tractor and bus sales.

At the time farmers just wanted “A dependable six cylinder tractor.”  Today people view repowering a 1468/1568 with a 466 (or any other six cylinder engine) as sacrilege.

Was just talking about this the other day. A 466 from a bus will work in a tractor but changing the timing cover is a bugger. 

Lot of guys had trouble with the V8's, we never did. I know however even if they hated that sucker back in the day, everyone of those dudes would like to have it in the shed today! Talk about inflation! Been offered huge money site unseen for ours several times.

KIMG1070.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Lot of guys had trouble with the V8's, we never did. I know however even if they hated that sucker back in the day, everyone of those dudes would like to have it in the shed today! Talk about inflation! Been offered huge money site unseen for ours several times.

KIMG1070.jpg

Does yours idle on four yet. Dads cousin had a 1568 he wanted to sell it to me around 1992 for 7000 . Thought he was crazy.

Just now, dale560 said:

Does yours idle on four yet. Dads cousin had a 1568 he wanted to sell it to me around 1992 for 7000 . Thought he was crazy.

No, Ethel runs on 8 all the time. That running on 4 was my least favorite part of those V8's.

16 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

No, Ethel runs on 8 all the time. That running on 4 was my least favorite part of those V8's.

Dads cousin never had his fixed. I think it was even a black stripe. I borrowed it to finish cultivating 25 acres. it was fun you go down hill light loaded  it would run on four. He was pulling a 32 ft jd cultivator with his.

28 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Been offered huge money site unseen for ours several times.

With all the great looking IH tractors you have I could imagine you having that issue with any of the IH’s you own :)

On 1/14/2020 at 7:03 PM, Killer Red Mater said:

one was probably my FILs he was from burke just east of Gregory 

When they swapped out the 550 for the 466, did they get different frame rails or fabricate motor mounts?

1 minute ago, russtred said:

When they swapped out the 550 for the 466, did they get different frame rails or fabricate motor mounts?

Used the 66 series frame rails.   Bolt right in.

19 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Used the 66 series frame rails.   Bolt right in.

Yup, seen a 1568 done that way at a auction a few years ago. Repowered with a 436. They still had the 68 frame rails in the barn that went with the tractor.

What's going on with these V8s is like 460s and 560s suddenly becoming super valuable because of the final drive issues.

6 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What's going on with these V8s is like 460s and 560s suddenly becoming super valuable because of the final drive issues.

Like usual the oddball ends up being collected.  The people with money in their 60s were around when these were new and can afford to buy one now. I know I want a 87 Chevy pickup a 87 Buick Regal gn. And the lineup of ihc tractors 06 to 86 and beyond

I always thought these were cool but even I heard about poor performance from them from people who owned them. Not sure if it was really poor performance or if they were just used to the reliability of an inline 6.

14 minutes ago, rcb said:

I always thought these were cool but even I heard about poor performance from them from people who owned them. Not sure if it was really poor performance or if they were just used to the reliability of an inline 6.

I think they probably were use to the reliability of the 6. Not much question whether the the 6 was better or not. Turbos killed plenty of them in my opinion to. And according to a guy I know that was around when they were new, people expected more out of them then what they were capable of. I can't say, I was about a year old when they came out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, russtred said:

You needed a 466 out of a combine or from a row crop tractor that used one.  A truck or 4366 needs timing cover change.

Other than being "cool" and a collector tractor, they were junk. Those engines were terrible to say the least.