shot_gun_red

1466 No oil psi at operating temp

I bought my grandpas 1466 back a couple years ago , Brought it home never used it much past a hot bath. Carried 75 psi just running around no load.

Last summer I used it on a hay baler and noticed 0-10 oil psi at 2000 rpm ,so I took it off and put my 1256 on baler.

pulled it in my shop this fall and checked gauge with a snap on mechanical ,verified 0-10 at operating temp.

We owned it til 94 guy had a out of frame done in 98 at a reputable mechanic shop.

So i pulled filter housing checked by-pass all looks good.

Pulled regulator valve all good no broken springs all free.

Pulled pan all rods and main bearings labeled 10-98 no wear at all std.

Pulled oil pick up tube no cracks ,gasket good.

I put air on the oil psi gauge port and sounds like a leak above rear main bearing journal.

Motor sounds good no knocks. Less than 1500 on rebuild

Probably going to do a tear down but figured i'd ask 

7 hours ago, shot_gun_red said:

I bought my grandpas 1466 back a couple years ago , Brought it home never used it much past a hot bath. Carried 75 psi just running around no load.

Last summer I used it on a hay baler and noticed 0-10 oil psi at 2000 rpm ,so I took it off and put my 1256 on baler.

pulled it in my shop this fall and checked gauge with a snap on mechanical ,verified 0-10 at operating temp.

We owned it til 94 guy had a out of frame done in 98 at a reputable mechanic shop.

So i pulled filter housing checked by-pass all looks good.

Pulled regulator valve all good no broken springs all free.

Pulled pan all rods and main bearings labeled 10-98 no wear at all std.

Pulled oil pick up tube no cracks ,gasket good.

I put air on the oil psi gauge port and sounds like a leak above rear main bearing journal.

Motor sounds good no knocks. Less than 1500 on rebuild

Probably going to do a tear down but figured 

Was the oil pump replaced when it was rebuilt ?

Don't know what oil your using. Dad had a truck about 40 years ago and we lost oil pressure like that on a trip. Pulled into a truck stop and told mech.  He asked what oil dad said Pennzoil mech. pulled it out and put 15w40 Shell Rotella in fixed problem.. Might also check oil pump or replace. Good luck.

I wonder if you are getting any oil to top of engine rocker arms .  The rear camshaft bushing covers the slot that feeds top end and if that bushing has moved out of place you will lose oil pressure and oil to top. 

• Like 3

Pete ,

I  put air to gauge port back by filters with pan off. Thought I had found serious leak, but no dice oil jets all in place !

Going to put pan back on  , I got a different regulator valve to try too. 

Oil pumps are cheap and simple to replace. Could be cam or rockers if the main and rods are fine. 

On 1/14/2020 at 11:43 PM, shot_gun_red said:

Pete ,

I  put air to gauge port back by filters with pan off. Thought I had found serious leak, but no dice oil jets all in place !

Going to put pan back on  , I got a different regulator valve to try too. 

Well, so much for that idea then.   On the regulator valve, you are talking about the one on the side of the block with that large like 1 5/8 inch head aren't you. Just checking because the one in the oil filter base is a bypass valve for cold or plugged filters and does not control oil pressure.   

yes thats the regulator. The relief valve is in the oil filter base.

at the back of the block a quad seal is installed at the cam brg.  The back plate seals this and a gsk takes care of the oil seepage. If the quad seal is not in place...............it was overhauled.

11 hours ago, bwop2017 said:

yes thats the regulator. The relief valve is in the oil filter base.

Relief valve In filter base. (actually a bypass valve) to divert oil around filter.  Valve in block controls max oil pressure and they are troublesome.  Breaking snap ring   or stuck plunger. 

The 0-10 scares me.

But it must be getting some oil flow and not building much pressure. Zero flow, things would be rattling.

I would start at the oil pump.

You already checked the suction tube.

The oil pump rotor is splined to the crank but one may find a broken rotor.

What regulator is just to the left of the oil pump and screwed into the block?

Is that the pressure regulator?

These problems are usually found to not be what you would have ever thought of.

Lucky you caught this as if it was on the plow, it may have went "BOOM".

Let us know what you find as this is a head scratcher.

• Like 1

Worn rocker assembly could be another thing. But the only way to check that is pulling the rockers, then you need a head gasket. 

Are you are 100% sure it does not have a mis-matched oil pump pickup tube or the wrong gasket?