Sign in to follow this  
Gearclash

Differences between Hydro 186 and 3488

What are the differences between the Hydro 186 and the 3488?  Beside the obvious that sheetmetal is different and the engine is different.  What was the  pto hp of the 186? The 3488?  Does one have better fuel economy than the other?  Does the 3488 have the same reverse flow cooling as the 50 series or is it like its 86 predecessors?  Thanks!

3488 has the reverse flow cooling. I think all 3488s had power priority hydraulics and closed center hydraulics. This was only available on the last 186s

186 is 105.02 PTO HP from the D436 engine 

3488 is 112 PTO HP From the D466 engine.

The fuel economy would show up in the Nebraska tests. I don’t have them handy right now but I think you could Google it and find them.

I didn’t realize the 186 had such a low hp rating.  For some reason I thought it was similar to a 1086.

I did not know that the 3488 had the 466, theres a real nice 3488 at the local elevator for an auger

The 186 isnt turbo'd, correct?

1 minute ago, iowaboy1965 said:

From the factory no. The 1066 and 1026 were there only hydros that came Factory turboed from IH. Any worth running has a turbo added to it though in my opinion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. What i thought i read before. Im sure a turbo would be nicer i agree.

8 minutes ago, bitty said:

From the factory no. The 1066 and 1026 were there only hydros that came Factory turboed from IH. Any worth running has a turbo added to it though in my opinion

A number of 186's around here are still NA........they are dogs and hard on fuel compared to the ones with turbos bolted on them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

From what I see the turbo has helped the  fuel add power rather than just put black smoke in the air

1 hour ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I did not know that the 3488 had the 466, theres a real nice 3488 at the local elevator for an auger

Can we see some pictures of it?

2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

I didn’t realize the 186 had such a low hp rating.  For some reason I thought it was similar to a 1086.

The 186 and the 986 both had the non-turubo'd 436 engine. Aside from the transmission, the 986 and 186 are the same.

10 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

Can we see some pictures of it?

When I make it that derection I will snap a pic, it's in nice shape, 3 hydraulic outlets, nice interior and paint. Me and dad got time to look it over on our 3 hour waits to dump corn this fall

I have a 100 Hydro in here now that has a DT 414 out of a 915 combine in it. They replaced the fuel tank as well so didn't cut any corners. 

KIMG0667.thumb.JPG.df3de3d0da0bebd468ac26c2bd91e221.JPG

• Like 1

I wonder why IH went to non turbo engines in their last two hydro tractors?  Flatter torque curve?  For my proposed use I could argue either way really.  I could see where adding a turbo could be hard on the hydro.  I would put it on a mixer wagon.  

3 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I wonder why IH went to non turbo engines in their last two hydro tractors?  Flatter torque curve?  For my proposed use I could argue either way really.  I could see where adding a turbo could be hard on the hydro.  I would put it on a mixer wagon.  

That's this one's purpose, at a dairy NW of here. 

So a question about the 3488, since it has the reverse flow cooling.  Has anyone seen that the reverse flow has been a pain on a mixer wagon with all the dust flying around?

58 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

So guys wouldnt turn them up and put bigger tillage tools behind them, forgetting that once max load was reached the relief in the hydro dummped and their you set with your new to big of a tillage tool and griping how big a piece of crap ih tractors were. All the while forgetting you did it to yourself by exceeding tractors rated cap. At least that is my take on one story i heard.

Do the 186 and the 3488 have a mechanical high and low range like the  hydro 656 et al do?

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

So guys wouldnt turn them up and put bigger tillage tools behind them, forgetting that once max load was reached the relief in the hydro dummped and their you set with your new to big of a tillage tool and griping how big a piece of crap ih tractors were. All the while forgetting you did it to yourself by exceeding tractors rated cap. At least that is my take on one story i heard.

I wonder what is maximum load.Is that heat,pressure on squash plates? Pump resistance?I have 2 hydros,H70 and1026.Work both fairly hard ,H70 turned to about 80hp,and 1026 pump set on 130 at shop.I worked both hard H70 harder then 1026 just because smaller tractor working harder.What causes that relief valve  to kick out.If I never did does that mean I have no worries?

35 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Do the 186 and the 3488 have a mechanical high and low range like the  hydro 656 et al do?

I am sure that the 3488 does and positive the 186 also has two ranges. We had two 186 and still have one 1066 hydro

Didn’t the 3488 move the high/low lever to the right hand side of the seat?

Just now, MarkG said:

Yes

Just now, MarkG said:

They both have hi and lo