Sign in to follow this  
oleman

Interesting auction find Ind 440 Mopar Kohler 70 KW

Generator powered by a 440 Mopar V8, appears to be a boat motor complete with water cooled exhaust.

Running at 1800 RPM, guess because it is an 1800 RPM gen.

Good looking old piece of equipment.

GC9466.JPG

• Like 3

I'm thinking more 413 with the water cooled exhaust. But I could wrong.

70kw is about 90hp. I would have thought that engine would make more power than 90hp. If it will produce more than 90hp you need to make sure the breaker is set to trip before going over 90hp. 

Large generator and small engine is no problem. If overloaded the engine Boggs down.

small generator and large engine is a problem. If overloaded the generator let’s the smoke out of the windings!!!

old electrician once told me all electrical equipment comes with smoke in the wires and when you let the smoke out it will not work anymore. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

General rule is 1.5hp per kW 

1.34 hp per kw, plus any extra hp required for incidentals such as fuel pump, or auxiliary water pumps etc. I know of a Chrysler diesel genset.

You would NEVER complain about an electric bill, after living with that ol girl powering the farm for a week or two...................:o

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, MarkG said:

70kw is about 90hp. I would have thought that engine would make more power than 90hp. If it will produce more than 90hp you need to make sure the breaker is set to trip before going over 90hp. 

Large generator and small engine is no problem. If overloaded the engine Boggs down.

small generator and large engine is a problem. If overloaded the generator let’s the smoke out of the windings!!!

old electrician once told me all electrical equipment comes with smoke in the wires and when you let the smoke out it will not work anymore. 😀

Yeah but remember... 1800rpm.....thats like 45 on the highway in a old polara

• Like 1

"

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

old electrician once told me all electrical equipment comes with smoke in the wires and when you let the smoke out it will not work anymore.

So we've really been dealing with flux cored electrical wire all this time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lots of those around in old grocery stores . 

They normally just run some emergency lighting, front doors and check stands . 

Not big enough to run any of the refrigeration units, 

Can you fill it fast enough to keep the light on?

• Haha 1

I would expect that engine to get about 15 HP per gallon per hour. So if max loaded  around 7 GPH, 3 KW load @ < 1 GPH. ASSUMING every thing is working well, been my experience is that equipment this old is NOT going to be 100%,

I will stick to the 544 diesel on the 25,000 watt Winpower generator when the electricity goes out!

a pto driven unit sounds like the best option - i know a couple of our neighbors that had dairy cattle when i was a kid ran those, worked great and tractors hardly knew they were hooked up, one ran his on a 560D and the other on a 656D and the 282Ds just sipped fuel around 2.5 gal / hour - they were 20KW to 25KW gens iirc. 

I had a 30kw with a straight 6 inline Ford running on propane.

3 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Might be propane so that drops the HP some 

I wondered about that. Most of the stationary Mopar big blocks I've known of were.  Well I found the auction and a bunch more pics. Sure looks like propane. Sold for $385.00. At one time I would have been chewing at my chain for that setup.

That's a pretty good deal for a standby or special purpose.

• Like 1