acem

844 corn head on 34" rows?

I am looking at making some changes and am considering changing from 36 to 34 inch rows.  The manual says 36, 38 and 40 inch rows.  I could leave it at 36 inches and be a little off. Couldn't I just drill another set of holes to shrink the 3 inner shields?

I am considering this so I can run double beds and allow me to use my 15 ft no till drill to plant beans.

Thx-Ace

the 844 head that came with my 715 was switched to 30" rows before I bought it. it matches up really well. I don't see any reason you couldn't do the same between 36 and 34" rows.

1679466271_7151460.jpg.de1a9e2009786179d3e90a5984dbb40a.jpg

• Like 1

It’s the row units that will get farther off as you go across the head.

The outside 2 rows will only be off 4" each if you leave it on 36... I probably wouldn't sweat even changing it. The row units can be a bearcat to move. 

Run an 844 on 36" rows the outers are 6" off and it's a pain. Constantly see cobs flying off because they're whipping in to the row unit. Plus the outer snout is wider and catches the row next to it if the guess row is off. 

If your going to do it I'd for sure cut it down to 36" 

7 hours ago, brahamfireman said:

Run an 844 on 36" rows the outers are 6" off and it's a pain. Constantly see cobs flying off because they're whipping in to the row unit. Plus the outer snout is wider and catches the row next to it if the guess row is off. 

If your going to do it I'd for sure cut it down to 36" 

What spacing is the head to get the outer rows off 6"? It should either be off 4"(if the head is set on 38") or 8"(if it's set on 40") I believe OP's head is already set on 36" rows.

Unfortunately it's set at 38". It came that way and it has worked on 36" rows. I am planning a change to 34" and know that won't work... Thx-Ace

13 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

What spacing is the head to get the outer rows off 6"? It should either be off 4"(if the head is set on 38") or 8"(if it's set on 40") I believe OP's head is already set on 36" rows.

Head is 40", planter is 36. Going off the center line of head the 2 middle rows will be off 2" each and the 4" difference gets added to each successive row as you move outward making the outside rows 6" off.

From center of head to outer row is 60"

Center of planter to outer row is 54" net difference, 6".

This is the weird stuff I figure out when staring out the windshield.....

• Like 1